PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 02:02 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: SPRINT PCS

TheTechGuru is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC TOUCH PRO 2 SCREEN GOING BLANK and Stays There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketlady View Post
I have not had time to change the settings in Gmail. Question how did you get to the SSL section to do the uncheck. I can not remember the path.
Menu > Tools > Options > *Pick Account* > Edit Account Setup > Next > Next > Next > Next > Advanced Server Settings

I've tried turning the SSL on (it was off) and it did not help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketlady View Post
I will do what I do with Yahoo. Go directly to Yahoo and sign on Yahoo mail.
Now why do you do that? Yahoo's IMAP works fine on my phone. You only have to pay for Yahoo's (Yahoo Plus!) IMAP service to use it on a computer, on phone's it's free. Just add a new account though the Windows Mobile interface (NOT HTC SENSE) and pick Yahoo.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Yahoo mail has been known to be problematic too. the best way for Gmail is to have it forwarded into hotmail so that way it won't hang when trying to pick up email, same with Yahoo u can have those forwarded too and added as different folders.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DX2
Carrier: Verizon

three west is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to three west
Exclamation Re: HTC TOUCH PRO 2 SCREEN GOING BLANK and Stays There

ahh, so I'm not crazy! Had my first ever SOD same time as you guys, couldn't figure out what was causing it since nothing was new, and I've been running this phone for YEARS with no SOD issues. Switching gmail to manual now to see if that helps. I could just delete it, I don't use that account.

Thank you Yahoo for not making me late for work because my alarm didn't go off...

oh, and just ignore the troll
Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC ppc 6800
Carrier: Movilnet

zoran01 is a n00b

Hi everybody, I live in Venezuela, Last night I got the same SOD problem. This morning I switched my gmail settings to "manually", since then, my phone has been working well...

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint

zhqxie is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechGuru View Post
Alternative to IMAP for Google Mail.

If you only have one Google Mail/Apps account you need to access AND you are not already using ActiveSync with a MS Exchange server then you can setup Google Mail/Apps to use ActiveSync instead of IMAP.

Here are the instructions:

Setting Up Your Windows Mobile Phone for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help

This method worked for me. I have two lines both with TP2 and both have gmail on them. The SOD happened one after another within one week. I deleted the Gmail account from one phone and switched IMAP to ActiveSync following this instruction. Both of them have been working well till now.

My situation is a bit different from the instructions, in which I entered my account & password first and then the server address. (Remember to uncheck the "Tasks")
Old 05-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Windows Mobile 6.5

Drewman626 is a n00b

SOLUTION!!!!!

The problem IS being caused by GMail IMAP (or perhaps any email IMAP.)

This would explain why, after reboot, the phone is fine for 2 or 3 minutes, then the SOD reoccurs. It takes about 2 or 3 minutes for email to start sending/receiving.

The phone was getting stuck in a Gmail IMAP Send/Receive loop. While it's sending/receiving, you cannot edit the account options or delete the account.

So I put the phone into Flight Mode to turn off the data connection. This caused the Gmail IMAP account to try to 'disconnect', but never disconnected. Since it was still stuck in limbo, I still couldn't delete the account. So, WHILE in Flight Mode, I rebooted.

This reset the Gmail inbox to stable, and with no data connection, it didn't try to send/receive, thus it wasn't stuck in limbo. Only then was I able to delete my Gmail IMAP account.

PROBLEM SOLVED. DEFINITIVELY, without question. it's been about 30 minutes and NO SOD problem.

I called HTC Tech Support and informed them of this fix.

They suggested I re-setup Gmail using POP3. I haven't done that yet, but I will and will let you know the outcome.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touchpro2
Carrier: sprint

texasjin is a n00b

To eric and others,

Please read for fun, not my intention to offend anyone. Many people here are using the stock ROM for years without any problem, like me, when people were complaining around about their all sorts of ROMs, I was laughing because I believe my stock ROM is one of the stablest. Then suddenly at some moment from May 17, 2011, we all run into this same issue, from any logic learned in physics and statistics, eric, it is not a ROM issue, I won't bother to try your suggestion at all. Some assumption may make sense here,
1) eric is lying or he is working for Google or both
2) To be frank and fair, it is possible that there is a ROM handling gmail exception better than the stock ROM, in this case, thank you eric for your suggestion, but I still won't try

Right now, I delete gmail account in my email settings, and use browser to check my gmail. Seems to work fine so far ... After deleting gmail account, do a reset ...

Last edited by texasjin; 05-25-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Windows Mobile 6.5

Drewman626 is a n00b

I am going to amend my previous SOLUTION post with my own theory (as opposed to the facts of the matter in my previous post.)

WinMo 6.5 automatically detects Gmail settings when you try to set up any @gmail.com email account. Gmail is automatically set up to IMAP the account. Even if after the account is set up as an IMAP, then I go back in to change the server settings, it's an IMAP4 account type in the dropdown menu and cannot be changed.

So I cannot test the POP solution.

But, I'm thinking the problem isn't necessarily with IMAP. I think the problem is with Gmail's login authentication server as my Gmail IMAP Account keeps getting stuck on "logging in..."
Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DX2
Carrier: Verizon

three west is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to three west

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran01 View Post
Hi everybody, I live in Venezuela, Last night I got the same SOD problem. This morning I switched my gmail settings to "manually", since then, my phone has been working well...

same here, so far....
Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

satuday is a n00b

Drewman, you r right, i m seeing the samething on my phone. i have 2 gmail account, one setup as imap and one with active sync. i remove both and reset and problem stop, i will setup just the active sync account and see if problem come back.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2