PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: sprint

rsuddath is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Inconsistent charging after custom ROM - *solved*

Issues that several users have reported with their TP2 not charging with certain custom ROMS appear to be caused by the 1% battery driver that is cooked into the affected ROMs.

The charging problem:
1) is present in almost all of the available custom ROMs
2) can be reproduced by installing any of the available (on XDA or PPC Geeks) 1% battery drivers on an unaffected ROM
3) has no impact on charging by tethering
4) has no impact on charging from the HTC charger or other high quality chargers
5) will allow an affected TP2 device to charge from low quality chargers when powered off
6) will not allow the TP2 to charge when powered on using a low quality mini-usb charger, including most car chargers

Background:
I have used HTC devices for several years starting with the 6700. Among our family we have several devices and recently ended up switching 4 older devices (Touch Diamond, Touch Pro) for Touch Pro 2's. We also have accumulated several different chargers.

After switching to the TP2's (and flashing ROMs) sometimes the phones would not charge. We would switch chargers and often the device would charge and we initially assumed the charger was defective or the usb connectors were defective or dirty.

After noticing this behavior with several phones and chargers, I started being more systematic. I discovered that charging by tethering always worked and that the HTC chargers and cords always worked. Other mini-usb chargers were hit or miss (Motorola-won't charge, Blackberry would charge).

I tried flashing my phones with various ROM's to verify that it was the ROM itself. My stock (Sprint) ROM had no charging issues at all. Flashing from my stock Sprint ROM to all but 2 custom ROMs resulted in crippling its ability to charge from most of my car chargers and many of my inexpensive mini-usb chargers. Flashing back to stock always restored the phone's ability to charge.

ROMs that would NOT charge consistently:

Juicy ROM
SuperRom
MightyROM
Sprint Lovers ROM
BigMaxSenseROM
Formula.LD
MR.X ROM
MaverickROM
Kickslide ROM
LEAD ROM
Energy ROM

ROMs that would charge consistently:

Sprint Stock ROM
Medium Hill ROM
VINdows ROM

In mid Dec. the VINdows ROM incorporated the 1% battery driver and I noticed that with this ROM my phone would no longer charge. I let the chef know and he advised me to simply install and then uninstall the 1% driver. This fixed the problem. I tried this on the other ROMs with no success, apparently for this to work, the ROM cannot have the 1% driver cooked in but must instead install it when it initializes. Subsequent VINdows ROMs have not incorporated the 1% driver and have no charging issues.

Verification of this cause of the charging problems was assisted by Sharkie405 who has incorporated a charging issue workaround in his most recent ROM. He custom made a ROM without the 1% driver which, when tested, had no charging issues. His most recent ROMs include the 1% driver but allow it to be uninstalled, restoring the ability of the phone to charge from the lower quality mini-usb chargers.

At this point, only 2 Touch Pro 2 ROMs are in active development that do not incorporate the charging limiting 1% battery driver, the VINdows ROM series and the Sharkie ROM series (driver can be un-installed). It would be great if the chef's of the other ROMs being actively developed (I am glad there are still a few) would also consider some sort of workaround for those of us who need to be able to charge from a variety of mini usb chargers.

Alternatively, it would also be great if there was a way to modify one of the 1% battery drivers that did not interfere with charging.

Figuring this out required flashing / re-flashing several phones with 40+ ROMs and plugging them into lots of different chargers. In addition, it took the work of 2 gifted ROM chefs and their willingness to build special editions of their ROMs. Thanks to the chefs and the several "lost" users who have posted about this issue over the past several months. I hope this post clears up this long standing issue for everyone affected.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:16 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Inconsistent charging after custom ROM - *solved*

Moved
Old 02-28-2011, 08:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I just tested "UserROM-a", a very light ROM and it does not appear to be have the 1% battery driver and will charge fine on any charger.

ROMs that will charge on all chargers - updated list

Sprint Stock
Medium Hill
VINdows ROMs
Sharkie ROM (must un-install 1% driver)
UserROM

Thanks to another chef for producing a ROM without the 1% driver charging issue!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2
Carrier: Sprint

tomc585 is becoming a great contributor

thats weird, i've used the energy, mighty, super, sprint lovers, Mr.X and energy ROMs without charging issues. I have both oem and .99 chargers. Maybe i just never noticed it.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Boost

VegasKid is a n00b

I got my TP2 of of EBAY and although not advertised as such, I think it was a refurb. From reading some earlier posts, I think the issue is only in refurbished TP2s. Although I may be wrong!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:38 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuddath View Post
Alternatively, it would also be great if there was a way to modify one of the 1% battery drivers that did not interfere with charging.
well, I think the source is available from no2chem, but good luck getting anyone to improve upon it. that said..

I believe the 'solution' for those affected is simply using the control panel to toggle a no2chem custom option and then the driver works without a hitch.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
well, I think the source is available from no2chem, but good luck getting anyone to improve upon it. that said..

I believe the 'solution' for those affected is simply using the control panel to toggle a no2chem custom option and then the driver works without a hitch.
yes no2chem seems to hav stopped development.

I cannot verify because I am on Vinn rom, which has no issue,
But I believe you are very correct.
Mayby someone else can verify this.
Just install "Nuebattery" cab, which uses 1%driver
Select and check off the options in its controlpanel shortcut in "nue Tools " folder.
you should then have no issues with 1% driver on any rom with the complet cab,
instead of the "driver only".
Old 03-04-2011, 03:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post
yes no2chem seems to hav stopped development.

I cannot verify because I am on Vinn rom, which has no issue,
But I believe you are very correct.
Mayby someone else can verify this.
Just install "Nuebattery" cab, which uses 1%driver
Select and check off the options in its controlpanel shortcut in "nue Tools " folder.
you should then have no issues with 1% driver on any rom with the complet cab,
instead of the "driver only".
I have tried this (installing the Nuebattery program on an un-affected ROM) and this program will cause the previously described charging issues. No combination of checked or unchecked boxes on the Nuebattery control panel will re-enable charging. The only thing that I have found that will re-enable charging with "cheap" mini usb chargers after installing Nuebattery is to uninstall Nuebattery.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust
Pocket PC: Tin Can ^^)
Carrier: Verizon

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)

No2chem!! Come back to us!! We still need your support!!!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:24 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

There has to be more to the issue than just the driver itself. I've built 100's of ROM's for myself using no2chem's TP2 battery driver and I've never had an issue charging. It works with the 30 cent usb cables from China off of ebay, cheap Chinese usb car adapters, HTC AC adapters, and any other usb cable attached to any computer I've ever tried.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
1% driver, battery, charger, charging