PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Possible? Using Win7 x64, "pass" TP2 USB tethered 'net connection to a router?

It's recently been brought to my attention that my TP2's WiFi Internet Sharing signal can be seen by others not in my apartment, even though my building seems like a black hole for WiFi signals, and I have my TP2's WiFi operating in its lowest power mode possible. Its WEP security is easily crackable, unfortunately.

I'd like to be able to switch my TP2 to USB tethering mode, and redirect that Internet connection to my Ethernet port, where a more sophisticated wireless router can broadcast it, but with WPA2 encryption. (I have 2 devices sharing my TP2's Internet connection - My desktop, and a mobile device I use to read in bed/on the couch, plus I'd like to provide a WiFi connection for visitors.)

I tried using the "Bridge Connections" option in the Win7 network adapter control area, but was unable to quite figure out how to successfully get the wireless router to "see" that it had a valid Internet connection coming from my PC's Ethernet port and into its WAN (Ethernet) input port. I also tried loading PDANet onto my TP2, since it presents the tethered Internet connection differently - As an actual modem, instead of a WM-specific Internet Sharing device. I still didn't have any luck.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Possible? Using Win7 x64, "pass" TP2 USB tethered 'net connection to a router?

I use the simple wifi router cab and it requires anyone accessing my connection to type a password.
I know... Not that secure. But good enough.

You do loose me where you say you want to tether using the USB connector. I'm not sure you can convert that USB signal to an ethernet connection. But I may be wrong.
p.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Possible? Using Win7 x64, "pass" TP2 USB tethered 'net connection to a router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
I use the simple wifi router cab and it requires anyone accessing my connection to type a password.
I know... Not that secure. But good enough.

You do loose me where you say you want to tether using the USB connector. I'm not sure you can convert that USB signal to an ethernet connection. But I may be wrong.
p.
First, I'd like to make my TP2's connection appear as an "Ifrastructure" or "Access Point" type of connection, instead "Computer to computer" or "Ad Hoc". Routing my TP2's USB-tethered connection to my PC, which could them conceivably pass it to a bona-fide wireless router, which would also have the benefit of providing a strong form of encryption on the connection to block unwanted freeloaders, would accomplish that as well.

Second, I'm not sure you're fully understanding what I want to do.

[TP2] in [TP2 mini-USB charge/sync dock] to [PC USB port]

then

[Wireless Router] connected to [PC Ethernet port] (via router's WAN or 'Input' Ethernet port, not one of the typical 4 or so Ethernet 'output' ports)

I want my PC to bridge these 2 together, so that the router receives its Internet connection from the TP2, just as it would take a cable or DSL modem connection.

No matter what I've tried, I cannot get the router to recognize that it has a valid Internet connection available. Do I have to use a "loop-back" (aka "crossover" or "null") Ethernet cable, instead of a standard Ethernet cable?

Last edited by SweetBearCub; 12-08-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

I got it... I know I saw a thread like this once before... I'll have to look for that.
I think the short answer was no as you cannot pass the connection through your PC as your PC is "using" the connection and not acting as a switch or a repeater. I'll see what I can come up with. Anyone ele???

p.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
It's recently been brought to my attention that my TP2's WiFi Internet Sharing signal can be seen by others not in my apartment, even though my building seems like a black hole for WiFi signals, and I have my TP2's WiFi operating in its lowest power mode possible. Its WEP security is easily crackable, unfortunately.

I'd like to be able to switch my TP2 to USB tethering mode, and redirect that Internet connection to my Ethernet port, where a more sophisticated wireless router can broadcast it, but with WPA2 encryption. (I have 2 devices sharing my TP2's Internet connection - My desktop, and a mobile device I use to read in bed/on the couch, plus I'd like to provide a WiFi connection for visitors.)

I tried using the "Bridge Connections" option in the Win7 network adapter control area, but was unable to quite figure out how to successfully get the wireless router to "see" that it had a valid Internet connection coming from my PC's Ethernet port and into its WAN (Ethernet) input port. I also tried loading PDANet onto my TP2, since it presents the tethered Internet connection differently - As an actual modem, instead of a WM-specific Internet Sharing device. I still didn't have any luck.

Any help would be appreciated.
Follow the instructions in this post:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/1646574-post.html

That will allow you to usb tether with no problem and no worries about extra phone as modem charges. Then connect it like you want and you should be able to enable/disable the connection by just starting or stopping Internet Sharing.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

i think I understand, but I dont think its possible..

TP2>PC>Router>Rebroadcast - thats what you want right?

how are you planning on even "passing" the signal "out to ethernet"... does an ethernet cable even act like that? err, i guess this is the question if you knew the answer to youd be set huh lol

at a glance, Id say your hopes are too high.... your mobile signal is your mobile signal, if it was this easy to re-broadcast, and gain more signal strength, youd think this wouldve been tried again and again...
Old 12-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
i think I understand, but I dont think its possible..

TP2>PC>Router>Rebroadcast - thats what you want right?

how are you planning on even "passing" the signal "out to ethernet"... does an ethernet cable even act like that? err, i guess this is the question if you knew the answer to youd be set huh lol

at a glance, Id say your hopes are too high.... your mobile signal is your mobile signal, if it was this easy to re-broadcast, and gain more signal strength, youd think this wouldve been tried again and again...
That's what I'm thinking... I know there was an OLD thread about this... Like a year ago when the TP2 first came out. I haven't had a chance to look though and I'm going home. Good luck OP... Please let us know if you get anything going. p.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:25 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I used to do what the op is trying to accomplish, but I was using xp. the problem is that when you plug the phone into a different usb port then another network connection is generated. you have to then go in and bridge that one with the Ethernet port too.

also the best way I found was to plug the desktops ethernet into a Lan port on the router and manually set the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 (unless you tweaked the phone special and of course you need to set the routers ip to something other than 1)

if you use the wmodem then you should be able to use windows (desktop) built in internet sharing. I didn't care much for this setup due to the constant nagging when the modem was not connected.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:03 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I'll be testing this out tomorrow, but I've used Connectify in the past to use my laptop as a wireless router when we didn't have one. It just shares your Internet pipe, so it shouldn't matter where that connection is coming from.

Where did you Connectify Today?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
I'll be testing this out tomorrow, but I've used Connectify in the past to use my laptop as a wireless router when we didn't have one. It just shares your Internet pipe, so it shouldn't matter where that connection is coming from.

Where did you Connectify Today?
I just tried Connectify. While the AP it creates is great, be warned that its UI is quite slow, and due to limitation in the internal Win7 drivers they use, you are forced to use WPA2-PSK security if you set it up in AP mode - Though that's not a bad thing security-wise, some people might not want to be forced to use the security for various reasons. It seems to work great for my needs, and looks like it'll save me from having to use a power outlet.

At some point I'll be looking into using an actual physical wireless AP, but not this week. Heavy rain and medical issues have me just about house-bound.

Thanks!

Last edited by SweetBearCub; 12-09-2010 at 01:07 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2