PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 12:49 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme
Re: Question about stealth tethering using WMWifiRouter

O ya usb is much faster than teathering via wifi

TEAM MiK
Member Since 12/30/10
Old 07-21-2010, 02:08 PM
VIP Member - Retired
Pocket PC: Moto Flip>Smsng 8500>Razr v3m>Mogul>TP>3 TP2s+ ??
Carrier: Sprint Premier Gold- White Glove Status

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Maybe I'm still sleeping...? Who uses WMwifirouter anymore??! Search ppcgeeks for htcwifirouter!! ???

did it 4 u
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...99#post4170499 probably newer versions out there..
http://wmpoweruser.com/new-htc-wifi-...uter-obsolete/
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75461

Last edited by teradog; 07-21-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

PapaPrem is keeping up the good workPapaPrem is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by teradog View Post
Maybe I'm still sleeping...? Who uses WMwifirouter anymore??! Search ppcgeeks for htcwifirouter!! ???

did it 4 u
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...99#post4170499 probably newer versions out there..
http://wmpoweruser.com/new-htc-wifi-...uter-obsolete/
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75461
Thanks. I was aware of HTCWifiRouter, but that won't offer the option to tether via USB. In order to do that, I would need to install some cabs/do some regedits for ICS. I wanted to avoid all that and go with the simple all in one solution that WMWifiRouter provides.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

wifirouter is nice because of all the options of connections it gives you. i still choose the htc one when at home but if on a trip in the car the usb part of it works great for teathering and keeping the phone charged. plus i got it as a older version when they were free

Last edited by ooxteme; 07-21-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I really like the router option. In an A-hole kind of way... I like being asked how I got onto the internet without wifi. I just point at my phone. lol.
My network is called " You can't do this with an iPhone"
I know the USB cable is faster but it's not as cool.
Also I've never had a problem with my data... I pay for unlimited data therefore I use as much of it as I can.
p.

Here's my current usage...
Sprint Data (PAUL)

Used 3,298,082KB/ Unlimited
Remaining Unlimited

Last edited by AZTECHKA; 07-21-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECA View Post
I really like the router option. In an A-hole kind of way... I like being asked how I got onto the internet without wifi. I just point at my phone. lol.
My network is called " You can't do this with an iPhone"
I know the USB cable is faster but it's not as cool.
Also I've never had a problem with my data... I pay for unlimited data therefore I use as much of it as I can.
p.

Here's my current usage...
Sprint Data (PAUL)

Used 3,298,082KB/ Unlimited
Remaining Unlimited
LOL! I guess there is a certain "wow" factor when you're surfing the internet without anything connected to your laptop. Especially in a place that doesn't have Wi-Fi. I could just imagine others trying to search for a wi-fi signal and the only network they see is "Too Bad Sucka!"
Old 07-21-2010, 06:55 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaPrem View Post
Thanks. I was aware of HTCWifiRouter, but that won't offer the option to tether via USB. In order to do that, I would need to install some cabs/do some regedits for ICS. I wanted to avoid all that and go with the simple all in one solution that WMWifiRouter provides.
your theory is a bit flawed, however still practical:
install ONE cab for the reg edits>use ICS which is stock in your device
or
install ONE cab-WMwifirouter(which you may have paid for)>turn on and go

its all the same, you still installed something lol

im a big +1 for WMWifiRouter- been using it about 2 and a half years i think... it even cost $30 back when i bought it... it gives you 6 options for gaining access, none of the free apps do that..

i do however think USB tether(ICS, not WMWR), WifiRouter, then WMWR is the order from Best>Good as far as speeds go.. IMO of course
Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
your theory is a bit flawed, however still practical:
install ONE cab for the reg edits>use ICS which is stock in your device
or
install ONE cab-WMwifirouter(which you may have paid for)>turn on and go

its all the same, you still installed something lol

im a big +1 for WMWifiRouter- been using it about 2 and a half years i think... it even cost $30 back when i bought it... it gives you 6 options for gaining access, none of the free apps do that..

i do however think USB tether(ICS, not WMWR), WifiRouter, then WMWR is the order from Best>Good as far as speeds go.. IMO of course

All these different posts and different cabs had my head spinning. I was under the impression that I would need to do the following reg edits:

1. Go to [HKLM\Services\CMGuardian]
create a new DWORD Value called "Flags" and set the value data to "4"
(this was already done, perhaps because I previously stopped CMGuardian using FdcSoftTaskMgr)
2. Reboot
3. Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
and delete the "isext.dll" entry
4. Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\settings]
and change "ForceCellConnection" from "PhoneAsModem" to "Sprint"
5 Add the DWORD entry "MaxCMCon=0" in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
6 Reboot

Then install the ICS_and_WModem_Fix.cab. Reboot and then install the HTC Wi-Fi Sharing.cab.

I thought the WMWifiRouter would have given me the same capabilities minus all those steps. Admittedly, I did finish applying all the reg edits manually, before deciding to go with WMWifiRouter. I was kind of scared away from installing the ICS_and_WModem_Fix.cab as it seems to reconfigure and install a bunch of stuff. And if I decided I didnt want it in the future, I don't know if I would have been able to just uninstall the cab to revert back to my previous settings, like I would have been able to do with WMWifiRouter.

After applying the aforementioned reg edits, would I be able to stealth usb tether with the (Sprint TP2 WM6.5 stock) Internet Sharing app (Start/Programs/Tools/Internet Sharing), or would I still need to install the ICS_and_WModem_Fix.cab?

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but ICS would only allow me to tether via USB. So I would have needed to install a 2nd cab for Wifi tethering right?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaPrem View Post
All these different posts and different cabs had my head spinning. I was under the impression that I would need to do the following reg edits:

1. Go to [HKLM\Services\CMGuardian]
create a new DWORD Value called "Flags" and set the value data to "4"
(this was already done, perhaps because I previously stopped CMGuardian using FdcSoftTaskMgr)
2. Reboot
3. Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
and delete the "isext.dll" entry
4. Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\settings]
and change "ForceCellConnection" from "PhoneAsModem" to "Sprint"
5 Add the DWORD entry "MaxCMCon=0" in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
6 Reboot

Then install the ICS_and_WModem_Fix.cab. Reboot and then install the HTC Wi-Fi Sharing.cab.

I thought the WMWifiRouter would have given me the same capabilities minus all those steps. Admittedly, I did finish applying all the reg edits manually, before deciding to go with WMWifiRouter. I was kind of scared away from installing the ICS_and_WModem_Fix.cab as it seems to reconfigure and install a bunch of stuff. And if I decided I didnt want it in the future, I don't know if I would have been able to just uninstall the cab to revert back to my previous settings, like I would have been able to do with WMWifiRouter.

After applying the aforementioned reg edits, would I be able to stealth usb tether with the (Sprint TP2 WM6.5 stock) Internet Sharing app (Start/Programs/Tools/Internet Sharing), or would I still need to install the ICS_and_WModem_Fix.cab?

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but ICS would only allow me to tether via USB. So I would have needed to install a 2nd cab for Wifi tethering right?
1. the ics_wmodem_fix.cab does those reg edits for you.. thats all that cab is, reg edits.. theres no actually app or anything in it..

2. again, manually changing the reg means you DONT need the "fix" .cab.. so yes, do the edits(via manual or cab) and ICS will work..

3.ICS allows for usb and BT tethering.. although BT on the TP2 is terrible so BT tether might not actually work.. so, Yes, youd need to seperately install HTCs wifi router..

so yeah i see it now, WMWifiRouter, did save you atleast 2 steps AND gave you more available tethering options than its counter-parts..
Old 07-21-2010, 09:00 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
1. the ics_wmodem_fix.cab does those reg edits for you.. thats all that cab is, reg edits.. theres no actually app or anything in it..

2. again, manually changing the reg means you DONT need the "fix" .cab.. so yes, do the edits(via manual or cab) and ICS will work..

My confusion stems from the following post: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=17 . That post makes it seem like the ics_wmodem_fix.cab does more than just the reg edits. Also, when searching, a lot of the threads that come up under "Tethering" refer to Boo Boo's instructions: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...74&postcount=1 . He states to install the ICS_and_WModem_Fix cab and thereafter to do the reg edits. I hope you can see why this is somewhat confusing.

I had previously manually changed all the regedits. Just now, I used the stock Internet Sharing and was able to connect. However, the only option that came up prior to connecting, was "USB". No where did I get a selection box to pick "Sprint" over "Phone As Modem". Do you get the same thing?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2