PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 05:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

PapaPrem is keeping up the good workPapaPrem is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question about stealth tethering using WMWifiRouter

For the past couple of days, I've been reading numerous threads on how to tether on Sprint's Touch Pro 2 (Stock WM6.5). I ultimately decided to go with the latest WMWiFiRouter program trial (I'll purchase it if it works out good.) What I am confused about is, do I need to install the ICS_and_WModem_Fix.cab prior to installing WMWifiRouter, so that I can stealth tether? I don't want Sprint charging me. Also, do I need to do any of the reg edits if I plan on using WMWifiRouter? Thanks!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

salvamag is a n00b
Re: Question about stealth tethering using WMWifiRouter

I thought the WMwifirouter was freeware?

I have the mightyrom and the wmwifirouter comes with it for absolutely no cost. You should check again.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

ive used all the earlier free versions of wifi router without the ics cab or anything else. it will also configure everything

TEAM MiK
Member Since 12/30/10
Old 07-20-2010, 07:10 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

salvamag - I know the older version of WiFiRouter was free, but the latest versions cost $20 bucks I believe. For me, it's a fair amount to pay for having a more updated/less buggy version.

ooxteme - I'll take your advice and install only the WMWifiRouter without installing any of the cabs. Thank you sir!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I run wifi router all the time... My question is... What would Sprint charge you for?
Do you not have an unlimited plan?
I guess that makes sense if that's the case.
But It's the only option for me. 3 phones unlimited everything but Land line minutes for 100 bucks (after corporate discount) Can't go wrong with that.
p.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Azteca, I do have an unlimited data plan. I thought if Sprint saw an unusual amount of data being used in comparison to prior months, it might set off a red flag. They may accuse me of tethering and either terminate my contract per their TOS. I just preferred to be safe than sorry.
By the way, if applicable, how do you like WMWifiRouter compared to some of the other tethering methods (ICS, HTC Wi-fi Sharing, etc.)?

Last edited by PapaPrem; 07-20-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

i know there was a reg edit for the treo pro to "trick" the connection name to look like you were just browsing on you phone so sprint never got wind of it. Im at like 3+ gigs of data and im yet to see a charge
Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

I was able to tether using the 3G to Wifi connection, without any issue. However, I am somewhat confused as to the steps to follow when tethering via 3G to USB. I don't have ActiveSync/Windows Mobile Device Center on my laptop. Is it necessary to install this in order to tether using a 3G to USB (wired) connection with WMWifiRouter? I tried to tether (without running ActiveSync) this way by first starting the 3G to USB connection. After it finished loading and was ready to connect, I connected the USB cable from my phone to the laptop and Windows7 automatically loaded the RNDIS drivers. A connection was established and it allowed me to tether. What I'm confused about is, what am I supposed to select on the phone when it prompts me, (ActiveSync, DiskDrive or Internet Sharing)? And would selecting that option allow me to tether stealth? Lastly, when stopping the service, do I stop the tether from the program first and then disconnect the cable from the laptop or is there something else I need to do?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

you can hit internet sharing if you like, just hit disconnect on the soft key if it tried to connect in addition to WMwifirouter..

technically "stealth tethering" is achieved by removing the "isxt" file i believe... but sprint honestly seems to care less.. theres plenty of people that use the stealth(its cooked in to custom roms usually) and theres plenty that dont.. some people just like the piece of mind... ive been tethering for about 3 years, begining years w/o stealth and last years with iit... and ive never seen a charge and i use about 30gb a month of data..

when stopping, its best to close the app down first, then remove..
Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Thanks boredandtattooed. Personally, I noticed that the speed is higher when tethering with the USB cable compared to Wifi tethering. The phone also seems to get less warm.

Have any of you guys been able to compare the speed/stability tethering via USB using WMWifiRouter compared to USB tethering with the built in ICS?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2