PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Does your manila 2.5 weather tab update over the air?
Updates fine over the air 38 54.29%
Will not update over the air 27 38.57%
Get a clue, boggsie 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 AM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO
Threadstarter

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: manila 2.5 weather not working over the air

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolWas View Post
have had the same issue, since the 2nd also, i am in cleveland, oh. crazy. lemme turn on the wifi and see if the "my location" works. the last update i got was when i drove out to elyria.

i wonder if sprint blocked the update site because of the number of requests in this area. because it worked over wifi
I'm not sure how to describe this, but here goes:

In the Sense 2.5 weather panel, there is an option to use or enable a "My Location" or "Location Update" feature. If you respond "Yes" then you no longer see this menu option. i.e. You cannot go back into the menu option to turn the feature off. I mention this, because if you don't see the menu option, this is probably why: You have already enabled the feature.

This "location" feature (presumably) turns on some type of GPS or cell-tower driven ability to "automagically" identify the location of the phone. Having identified the location, the phone then retrieves the weather forecast for that particular location.

What some (including myself) have identified, is a type of "work-around" where you can retrieve weather data for the location-based site via WiFi as opposed to over the air.

In addition to the "location based" weather information, you can also add some number of cities via the "Add Location" feature.

So here is a really, really interesting thing. In my case, any site that I add using the "Add Location" option, is able to update weather information over the air.

So, I speculate ... it seems that the carrier, in my case, Sprint, is allowing weather information to update over the air. So if this is the case, I wonder what is unique about the static choices available via Add Location, versus the dynamic location option and how is that difference impacting the ability to update weather?

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Metalmayhem knows their stuffMetalmayhem knows their stuffMetalmayhem knows their stuffMetalmayhem knows their stuffMetalmayhem knows their stuffMetalmayhem knows their stuffMetalmayhem knows their stuff

Do you guys happen to have an Airave? Cause I was having this problem and as soon as I turned it off my weather updated fine.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:39 AM
b00nsquad
Threadstarter

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmayhem View Post
Do you guys happen to have an Airave? Cause I was having this problem and as soon as I turned it off my weather updated fine.
With your Airave off, do you connect via 3G or does your signal drop to 1x?

Does turning off your Airave force you into roaming?

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 07-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

nayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
I'm not sure how to describe this, but here goes:

In the Sense 2.5 weather panel, there is an option to use or enable a "My Location" or "Location Update" feature. If you respond "Yes" then you no longer see this menu option. i.e. You cannot go back into the menu option to turn the feature off. I mention this, because if you don't see the menu option, this is probably why: You have already enabled the feature.

This "location" feature (presumably) turns on some type of GPS or cell-tower driven ability to "automagically" identify the location of the phone. Having identified the location, the phone then retrieves the weather forecast for that particular location.

What some (including myself) have identified, is a type of "work-around" where you can retrieve weather data for the location-based site via WiFi as opposed to over the air.

In addition to the "location based" weather information, you can also add some number of cities via the "Add Location" feature.

So here is a really, really interesting thing. In my case, any site that I add using the "Add Location" option, is able to update weather information over the air.

So, I speculate ... it seems that the carrier, in my case, Sprint, is allowing weather information to update over the air. So if this is the case, I wonder what is unique about the static choices available via Add Location, versus the dynamic location option and how is that difference impacting the ability to update weather?

Best regards,
-boggsie
the difference is one is based on your location - which is based on your location...the other is a static city name from a database. Difference is - figuring out where you are versus just looking up weather in a database.
sounds to me like your phone is having trouble figuring out where you are...

i am in wisconsin and my weather updates fine. did you guys check if your "HTC location service" box is checked ??? (Settings tab > Location )

i know that if i uncheck that box i get similar results to what you are mentioning...

I can't remember how to get to that setting pre-wm6.5 sense 2.5
Someone else will have to mention how to get to it in older versions.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 PM
b00nsquad
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr1482 View Post
the difference is one is based on your location - which is based on your location...the other is a static city name from a database. Difference is - figuring out where you are versus just looking up weather in a database.
sounds to me like your phone is having trouble figuring out where you are...

i am in wisconsin and my weather updates fine. did you guys check if your "HTC location service" box is checked ??? (Settings tab > Location )

i know that if i uncheck that box i get similar results to what you are mentioning...

I can't remember how to get to that setting pre-wm6.5 sense 2.5
Someone else will have to mention how to get to it in older versions.
Thanks for engaging in the discussion and for challenging with some additional questions.

On first read, I would tend to agree. Those of us affected apparently have phones with apparently are having difficulties identifying the current location.

However, my phone does not (universally) have a problem identifying the current location. As stated above, if I am on WiFi, the phone is apparently able to identify location well enough (again, via WiFi) to be able to identify a location and update the weather. So the difference seems to be tied to WiFi vs. Cell Tower.

Apart from knowing that Google Maps and Bing are able to identify and target location via Cell Tower triangulation and GPS, I'm not exactly sure how else I would know that the hardware is or is not working properly. Just to reiterate, this occurs consistently with three ROMs, but I have yet to check the stock 6.5 Sprint ROM. Maybe that is a reasonable justification for a flash back to stock.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker

nayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Thanks for engaging in the discussion and for challenging with some additional questions.

On first read, I would tend to agree. Those of us affected apparently have phones with apparently are having difficulties identifying the current location.

However, my phone does not (universally) have a problem identifying the current location. As stated above, if I am on WiFi, the phone is apparently able to identify location well enough (again, via WiFi) to be able to identify a location and update the weather. So the difference seems to be tied to WiFi vs. Cell Tower.

Apart from knowing that Google Maps and Bing are able to identify and target location via Cell Tower triangulation and GPS, I'm not exactly sure how else I would know that the hardware is or is not working properly. Just to reiterate, this occurs consistently with three ROMs, but I have yet to check the stock 6.5 Sprint ROM. Maybe that is a reasonable justification for a flash back to stock.

Best regards,
-boggsie
I really think it has to do with the HTC location service.
Maybe it is coded or setup so that the location service can run if a wi-fi connection is present. Dont know.

There is a toggle to enable/disable HTC location service - I presume for people that do not have unlimited data and/or for people that want to conserve battery use.
I could be wrong but about the only thing I have noticed the HTC location service does - is figure out where you are for the weather info / location temp information.

If you can find this setting in the rom you are running you can test it easily (just enable it and then go to the weather tab and hit update and see what happens).

I know when I had it disabled my phone did some weird stuff (like it sort of knew what city to display i was in but the weather wouldnt update). As soon as I checked HTC location service it updated.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:26 PM
b00nsquad
Threadstarter

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=97481
http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/HTC-HD...-3g/m-p/388863

Adding "My Location" to the google search mix really adds a bunch of pages to the list of results.

So this appears to be across different phones and carriers, too.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 07-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=97481
http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/HTC-HD...-3g/m-p/388863

Adding "My Location" to the google search mix really adds a bunch of pages to the list of results.

So this appears to be across different phones and carriers, too.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Looks like it is an HTC location service issue - but not quite what I was expecting =)

Do you have one of these Airaves ???
Old 07-06-2010, 04:08 PM
b00nsquad
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr1482 View Post
Looks like it is an HTC location service issue - but not quite what I was expecting =)

Do you have one of these Airaves ???
No, I sure don't.

Your suggestion regarding "My Location" and HTC Location service has really unlocked a ton of threads across multiple forums with this exact same issue.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 07-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Wirelessly posted (XV6875.1 Opera/9.70 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

hmmm wonder if one of your neighbors does and you are picking up theirs ??? i guess try the "walk away a few hundred feet" approach ???

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2