View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 AM
boggsie
b00nsquad
Threadstarter

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: manila 2.5 weather not working over the air

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolWas View Post
have had the same issue, since the 2nd also, i am in cleveland, oh. crazy. lemme turn on the wifi and see if the "my location" works. the last update i got was when i drove out to elyria.

i wonder if sprint blocked the update site because of the number of requests in this area. because it worked over wifi
I'm not sure how to describe this, but here goes:

In the Sense 2.5 weather panel, there is an option to use or enable a "My Location" or "Location Update" feature. If you respond "Yes" then you no longer see this menu option. i.e. You cannot go back into the menu option to turn the feature off. I mention this, because if you don't see the menu option, this is probably why: You have already enabled the feature.

This "location" feature (presumably) turns on some type of GPS or cell-tower driven ability to "automagically" identify the location of the phone. Having identified the location, the phone then retrieves the weather forecast for that particular location.

What some (including myself) have identified, is a type of "work-around" where you can retrieve weather data for the location-based site via WiFi as opposed to over the air.

In addition to the "location based" weather information, you can also add some number of cities via the "Add Location" feature.

So here is a really, really interesting thing. In my case, any site that I add using the "Add Location" option, is able to update weather information over the air.

So, I speculate ... it seems that the carrier, in my case, Sprint, is allowing weather information to update over the air. So if this is the case, I wonder what is unique about the static choices available via Add Location, versus the dynamic location option and how is that difference impacting the ability to update weather?

Best regards,
-boggsie