View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 PM
nayr1482
Regular 'Geeker

nayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on repnayr1482 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: manila 2.5 weather not working over the air

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
Thanks for engaging in the discussion and for challenging with some additional questions.

On first read, I would tend to agree. Those of us affected apparently have phones with apparently are having difficulties identifying the current location.

However, my phone does not (universally) have a problem identifying the current location. As stated above, if I am on WiFi, the phone is apparently able to identify location well enough (again, via WiFi) to be able to identify a location and update the weather. So the difference seems to be tied to WiFi vs. Cell Tower.

Apart from knowing that Google Maps and Bing are able to identify and target location via Cell Tower triangulation and GPS, I'm not exactly sure how else I would know that the hardware is or is not working properly. Just to reiterate, this occurs consistently with three ROMs, but I have yet to check the stock 6.5 Sprint ROM. Maybe that is a reasonable justification for a flash back to stock.

Best regards,
-boggsie
I really think it has to do with the HTC location service.
Maybe it is coded or setup so that the location service can run if a wi-fi connection is present. Dont know.

There is a toggle to enable/disable HTC location service - I presume for people that do not have unlimited data and/or for people that want to conserve battery use.
I could be wrong but about the only thing I have noticed the HTC location service does - is figure out where you are for the weather info / location temp information.

If you can find this setting in the rom you are running you can test it easily (just enable it and then go to the weather tab and hit update and see what happens).

I know when I had it disabled my phone did some weird stuff (like it sort of knew what city to display i was in but the weather wouldnt update). As soon as I checked HTC location service it updated.