View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 PM
boggsie
b00nsquad
Threadstarter

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: manila 2.5 weather not working over the air

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr1482 View Post
the difference is one is based on your location - which is based on your location...the other is a static city name from a database. Difference is - figuring out where you are versus just looking up weather in a database.
sounds to me like your phone is having trouble figuring out where you are...

i am in wisconsin and my weather updates fine. did you guys check if your "HTC location service" box is checked ??? (Settings tab > Location )

i know that if i uncheck that box i get similar results to what you are mentioning...

I can't remember how to get to that setting pre-wm6.5 sense 2.5
Someone else will have to mention how to get to it in older versions.
Thanks for engaging in the discussion and for challenging with some additional questions.

On first read, I would tend to agree. Those of us affected apparently have phones with apparently are having difficulties identifying the current location.

However, my phone does not (universally) have a problem identifying the current location. As stated above, if I am on WiFi, the phone is apparently able to identify location well enough (again, via WiFi) to be able to identify a location and update the weather. So the difference seems to be tied to WiFi vs. Cell Tower.

Apart from knowing that Google Maps and Bing are able to identify and target location via Cell Tower triangulation and GPS, I'm not exactly sure how else I would know that the hardware is or is not working properly. Just to reiterate, this occurs consistently with three ROMs, but I have yet to check the stock 6.5 Sprint ROM. Maybe that is a reasonable justification for a flash back to stock.

Best regards,
-boggsie