PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Tree Trunk Killa
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

burtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to burtonsnow8
Re: Do All Roms with Sense 2.5 have a memory leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh8812 View Post
IMO a memory leak would be if you loaded like Opera for instance and u had 80 mb for example free before opening it...when running u had 75 mb free...and then when u closed it u only had 77 mb free...thats what i would consider a mem leak..ive noticed even going through the settings in Manilla or just using the windows lock skyrockets my ram usage and i never get it back...after a fresh boot im about 52% after about 4 or 5 hours use im at like 64% and thats with nothing open and even sometimes a run of a ram cleaning program. and thats on the newest energy, mighty, and mr. x roms..
that is something different called memory caching. It isn't leaking, it is just saving that information so it can pull it up at a later time much quicker. Basically if you've ever gone to the music tab after inserting your SD card you will see the phone caching all the music files. Next time you go to the music tab you will see it load up right away, because all the file locations are cached. You will also notice that Sense UI takes about 2% more RAM as well. I've done it on my phone and went from 56% to 60% once I navigated to the music tab.

Basically everything on your phone gets cached.

What the user above me mentioned is a memory leak!

*edit*
Many of the new 2.5 ROMs do not have a memory leak but they do have a higher running % and cannot handle as many apps (I can do 3 really intensive apps [opera, coreplayer, and other] before running out of RAM). Also, make sure any installed apps do not create a memory leak

Last edited by burtonsnow8; 04-13-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Howie411 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

The problem is the TP2 seems to start bogging down when it has 45mbs of memory free or less. And this typically starts to happen after not rebooting the phone in a 24hr period, with nothing running in the task manager.

I'd consider that a memory leak or at least a very slow drip.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Tree Trunk Killa
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

burtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to burtonsnow8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie411 View Post
The problem is the TP2 seems to start bogging down when it has 45mbs of memory free or less. And this typically starts to happen after not rebooting the phone in a 24hr period, with nothing running in the task manager.

I'd consider that a memory leak or at least a very slow drip.
Run cleanRAM to clear up cached memory.

Just an FYI, Today i decided to use my TF3D music player and my % went from 63% before and 74% after...the only way to get it to drop was by using cleanRAM. Everything was cached and since sense UI always stays loaded, the memory the app used never closed itself, thus making my %s stay at 74% with nothing in the task manager, because all those files were cached. It is not a memory leak, it is inherently built into the system to save your files. There are some fixes that can change your cache settings, most of the time they are set to 0, meaning your RAM can infinitely cache items.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: sprint htc diamond
Carrier: sprint

semifast is just getting started

1. memory leak is a programming error that causes a program to use increasing amounts of memory as it runs.

2. using memory for cache improves speed in terms of reloading programs and/or data. Free memory is wasted memory. As long as the cache manager works well it shouldn't slow anything down.

3. not getting exactly the same free memory back when you quit a program isn't a memory leak, it's either part of the program is still loaded, or the cache is fragmented and so doesn't read exactly the same %.

those are my opinions.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Rockin' the Red!!
Pocket PC: 1.31.11Neo -- FRX06
Carrier: Sero

Recursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIPRecursion is a VIP

Memory leak = ?

1. When available memory is allocated for use, then when no longer needed is not properly returned to available memory for subsequent use. It's usually a programming error ... failure to pass pointers to free() or similar function.

OR

2. When available memory slowly, but surely, slips away as one drinks down a fifth of tequilla.

I think option 2 sounds more fun...

Last edited by Recursion; 04-13-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

sanvara is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh8812 View Post
IMO a memory leak would be if you loaded like Opera for instance and u had 80 mb for example free before opening it...when running u had 75 mb free...and then when u closed it u only had 77 mb free...thats what i would consider a mem leak..
How about you see the available memory dwindle over time even when no programs are open. I start out at around 80mb and later in the day I might find I have only 35mb available even though I have closed out all programs I had opened.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

gxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to gxnext Send a message via AIM to gxnext Send a message via MSN to gxnext Send a message via Yahoo to gxnext Send a message via Skype™ to gxnext

I Highly recommend 04/10/10 WM 6.5.X ROMS.Sense 2.5.GENERIC_V4 2355 I wish I knew what the secret was but everything runs great for me, fastest smoothest experience I'v ever had with winmo. With this rom somehow I'm able to run a bunch of apps that would normally ether slow the phone to a halt or crash. With this rom I have been able to run sense ui 2.5 WITH ANIMATIONS ON! I feel like i have a new phone!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:24 AM
xSD
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EViO 4G

xSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanvara View Post
How about you see the available memory dwindle over time even when no programs are open. I start out at around 80mb and later in the day I might find I have only 35mb available even though I have closed out all programs I had opened.
Just because you're "closing" a program doesn't return all allocated memory when you execute initially. You also have to take into account services being run and background processes.

There are no memory leaks. Our phones just don't have enough memory to run WinMo, Sense 2.5 and multiple applications and services.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 AM
xSD
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EViO 4G

xSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by semifast View Post
1. memory leak is a programming error that causes a program to use increasing amounts of memory as it runs..
Also add in not releasing temporary allocated memory in stacks
Old 04-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Medium Hill Rom's
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & 2 HTC TP2's

dibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dibbson Send a message via MSN to dibbson

Ok, to clarify a little cuz people are hitting and missing here. A memory leak is one that does not stop until you run out of RAM. If it stops at some point and does not continue then it is not a leak. Can anyone trully say that an app or process has used up 100% of their RAM (and don't say yes if you've had a hundred different programs open at once, obviously you could run out of RAM that way, and that's not the point of what I was asking)? If not, then none of you have had leaks, just bad memory management from an app or process running.

Donations are never required, but ever so much appreciated if you feel the need to do so.

Last edited by dibbson; 04-13-2010 at 08:56 AM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2