PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

poqeteer is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: sprints rom update? now that wm 7 is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oditius View Post
And you don't?
Of course the problem is... At least preliminary hardware requirements require a 1GHz processor and a capacitive screen. Last time I looked that isn't the TP2. Sad really I just got mine at the beginning of the year. Oh well...

Last edited by poqeteer; 02-16-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: at&t:HTC Aria waiting for WP7 to Arrive
Carrier: at&t

Oridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOridus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/17992; U; en))

I personally was going to wait for the sprint upgrade however I thought it was going to take too long, so I finally decided to just flash a custom rom and not even worry about it. shrug
Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HitachiG1000, ppc6700,I730,Mogul,Touch,TP,TP2, EVO

lefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
I realize this is apostasy around here, but I agree with this.

I've installed cooked ROM's on all my WinMo devices. They have some great, well-though-out features and a great deal of time went into them. Unfortunately, they require a great deal of my time as well. Simply put, they are not as stable as the stock ROM's.

I'm a physician and use my device for drug reference, prescription-writing, and all sorts of other stuff. Occasionally I'll even use it as a phone. I travel internationally with it, to both CDMA roaming areas and GSM-only areas. The thing needs to work every time I use it, not most of the time. The cooked ROM's have all sorts of little "gotchas" that might not matter to most users most of the time. Every one I've tried has, sooner or later, bit me in one way or another.

Sure, the stock ROM's have issues as well. There are well-documented fixes for those.

One way to look at it is that every custom ROM represents dissatisfaction not only with stock but with every other available custom ROM as well. The fact there are so many shows that not one of them is good enough for everyone.

Cooked ROM's are something I can only play with when I'm not on-duty. For work, I flash back to stock. I keep hoping to find a ROM with the candy I want as well as the stability I require, but the reality is that every time I end up flashing back to stock and doing a few tweaks.
unfortunately I agree, but you will always get the argument that the custom Roms are stable..Faster, yes, smoother, yes, but there always seems to be something that makes them hiccup someway somewhere, I actually am running the custom 6.5 Sprin Lovers Rom which is basically a stock ROM without being stock. Until there is an update, I highly recommend this one . It's about as stock as you can get without being stock.,No freezes, No resets (unless I install something ) , no hiccups. I wanted 6.5 because I run Mobile Shell and it works a bit quicker/smoother on 6.5 . The very minor tweaks that one normally will do to a stock rom are already in there but nothing crazy. If you like stock and want to run 6.5 check this one out , I am sure you will not be let down by the ROM honestly. Only thing causing issues with this one is user installed apps , etc. here's the link.
If you like it, throw me a thanks and also the man who created it , Chris. I think you will agree , it works very well and is not unfamiliar.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=109784
Old 02-17-2010, 02:30 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3

cmptekinc is just getting started

Unlike the others in this forum, I`ve had a hell of a lot more bad experiences with Sprint CS then good experiences, so in my opinion Sprint CS stnks. Their plans are very cheap, and it is the only reason I'm still at Sprint, well at lest for now...

WM7 will probably not be out until the end of the year. Sprint will take their sweet time before WM7 is available. However, M$ is talking about running WM7 on specific phones only, well based on the RSS feeds I read today anyway.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:40 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oditius View Post
And you don't?
I personally don't...Mobile 7 is not the next version of windows mobile..its is a completely new OS that has noting to do with WM. It isn't even a ppc (microsoft's own words)

Sprint is trying to see the maximum amount of people they can loose in 1 quarter by not releasing any good phones or doing any promised upgrades. jk..at least I hope I am

That said rumors are Sprint plans to release the upgrade with latest version of 6.5 (probably to save themselves the effort of doing multiple upgrades)

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Q_Q
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Q_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptekinc View Post
Unlike the others in this forum, I`ve had a hell of a lot more bad experiences with Sprint CS then good experiences, so in my opinion Sprint CS stnks. Their plans are very cheap, and it is the only reason I'm still at Sprint, well at lest for now...
So basically, you throw out all your conviction to save a buck...
Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch pro 2

jathomas0910 is a n00b

i love mightys roms but i really needed my DRM music to work but i gave up on sprint and brought a Zune
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evil Evo

i360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50369; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

A problem with most of the mainstream ROMs is they try to put too much into them and it makes them bloated. Its why they have issues that surface shortly after using them and why they are constantly being updated.

The roms I use are not filled with all that extra crap and are fairly lite. combine this with spb mobile shell and its perfect. In fact too perfect to the point of boring since I never have issues.

So while an official update would be nice its not really needed for me at the moment.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Q View Post
So basically, you throw out all your conviction to save a buck...
I don't know about the person to whom you're responding, but I have convictions that go far, far beyond anything to do with customer service. Throwing out all of my personal convictions would take a lot more than going with the lowest-priced cellular carrier despite poor service.

My own experiences with Sprint customer service have been mixed, from wonderful to "meh," but not awful. That parallels my experiences with Verizon, US Cellular, ATT, and others (mostly small regional carriers that no longer exist) stretching back to my first cellular phone in 1988.

While those of us here tend to be bleeding-edge enthusiasts who want the latest and greatest, the vast majority of cellular users just want the darned thing to work as described every time. Many of them are as dumb as a bag of hammers, so phones must be rock-solid and foolproof. The need to deal with all those ninnies just makes it harder for the rest of us when we need to call for customer service.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Q_Q
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Q_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
I don't know about the person to whom you're responding, but I have convictions that go far, far beyond anything to do with customer service. Throwing out all of my personal convictions would take a lot more than going with the lowest-priced cellular carrier despite poor service.
That's was my point to that particular poster.
He was easily bought.
There is a clear line between putting up with things & putting your money where your mouth is.

If it was that bad for him, quit the idle threat & head for greener pasture.

I personally am on the stock Sprint ROM & albeit with a few of the same basic tweaks that we've all applied here - the thing is running like a champ. & my battery last from 6 in AM to 4AM the next day.

So when I see ppl clamoring for 6.5 with all the bugs out there wether in cooked ROM's or official ROM's or even for the as yet to be spec'd WM7...I don't really understand the whining.
& then to use it as a customer service issue, is utterly ludicrous & disingenuous.

It makes the whiner sound like an iPhone - plug & play wannabe who can't afford ATT & just self hate his decision.

Last edited by Q_Q; 02-17-2010 at 01:03 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2