PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

livejazz is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: sprints rom update? now that wm 7 is out!

Truth is, in general, the only people remotely concerned with an update on the TP2 are the fringe users on the forums, such as us. The average consumer user or business user either doesn't know or care about updates and alot of the business users are using enterprise custom ROM's that carry embedded third party software that is proprietary to their company, such as the ones included with devices my company sells. The pressure to release a new ROM isn't there if the device is performing well under normal every day conditions. Personally, I would like to see a ROM that has a UI that handles thousands of contacts well. That hasn't happened and is the reason I can't run SenseUI. I've been told by my MS rep that the new UI included with the upcoming new ROM is significantly better at handling large amounts of Outlook data. They know I will not be developing a new custom ROM for my customers based on this "bottom-of-the-9th" ROM release, but are counting on myself and others being impressed enough with the new UI to stop sniffing the other OS'es and concentrate on getting ready for the Windows phone custom enterprise ROM's. The situation was different with the previous two HTC slider Windows phones as they had significant discrepancies with their OEM ROM's that affected the consumer and small business sectors to a larger degree (they knew it, but was a race to market) and puplic relations and marketing had no choice but to address these concerns. I (and a couple of my employees) am always looking at the cutting edge developements in order to stay ahead of my competition in the third party developer/provider market. Just my 2 cents and a little different perspective.

matt
Old 02-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Q_Q
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Q_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinSyder View Post
I could b?tch & complain about Sprint draggin'there feet on the updates for whatever reason... but truth be told I don't care. These boy's & girl's here are awesome w/ the things they create. Hell w/ the discount's & packages I get on my bill I'll never find somethin' cheaper, have zero complaints about customer service, all I need is for Sprint to keep pumpin' out that signal!!
That's how I feel.
& if WM7 is a dud, then Android has an icon above that will get more action. LOL!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

gus691 is a n00b

Sprint had too wait it wm 7.0 was out before they released 6.5 ...they have to make sure they also behind everyone else.!!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oditius View Post
And you don't?
I don't. I don't wanna learn a whole new OS & have to find alternatives for all the programs I've been using for years. Screw that. They can keep 7 as far as I'm concerned. If everything I've heard about WM7 is true, they'll have to pry 6.x out of my cold, dead hands before I'll switch.

And why wait for bloatware-riddled 'official' ROMs when there are so many awesome custom ROMs to be had right here?

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

this reminds me. steve b hinted that wm6.5 will still be around after wp7 comes out.. hmmm...
Old 02-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

^ Yeah I heard that too, thank god. I guess they realize that there are old fogeys like me out there who don't want 'new & shiny', who just want the tried & true OS they've relied on for years.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: IPhone 4G to Iphone 5
Carrier: Sprint PCS

BBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuk1 View Post
And why wait for bloatware-riddled 'official' ROMs when there are so many awesome custom ROMs to be had right here?

Even thou the developers who create these custom ROMs are bad-@$$- M-F-ahs, the fact remains that a lot of the ROMs are still buggy and not very stable. Bottom line is that Sprint needs to hurry up! and they call them selves the " Now Network"

Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Q_Q
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Q_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBHOLIDAY View Post
... the fact remains that a lot of the ROMs are still buggy and not very stable.
Ummm....so are the so-called official ROM's too....
Old 02-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: evo
Carrier: sprint

fuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stufffuuup knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Q View Post
Ummm....so are the so-called official ROM's too....
I've gone through all of the rom's available for this phone and have yet to find one half as solid as the stock sprint rom with TP2 clean-up.

The extra features that we get with the cooked roms just don't balance out the loss of stable usability.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuuup View Post
I've gone through all of the rom's available for this phone and have yet to find one half as solid as the stock sprint rom with TP2 clean-up.

The extra features that we get with the cooked roms just don't balance out the loss of stable usability.
I realize this is apostasy around here, but I agree with this.

I've installed cooked ROM's on all my WinMo devices. They have some great, well-though-out features and a great deal of time went into them. Unfortunately, they require a great deal of my time as well. Simply put, they are not as stable as the stock ROM's.

I'm a physician and use my device for drug reference, prescription-writing, and all sorts of other stuff. Occasionally I'll even use it as a phone. I travel internationally with it, to both CDMA roaming areas and GSM-only areas. The thing needs to work every time I use it, not most of the time. The cooked ROM's have all sorts of little "gotchas" that might not matter to most users most of the time. Every one I've tried has, sooner or later, bit me in one way or another.

Sure, the stock ROM's have issues as well. There are well-documented fixes for those.

One way to look at it is that every custom ROM represents dissatisfaction not only with stock but with every other available custom ROM as well. The fact there are so many shows that not one of them is good enough for everyone.

Cooked ROM's are something I can only play with when I'm not on-duty. For work, I flash back to stock. I keep hoping to find a ROM with the candy I want as well as the stability I require, but the reality is that every time I end up flashing back to stock and doing a few tweaks.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2