PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 12:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

bigwrigg is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to bigwrigg Send a message via Yahoo to bigwrigg
Re: Trouble with Wifi on PPC Mogul 6800

I am glad you guys started this thread.
I work on PDA's all day long and recently upgraded my self to one of the ones we acquired. Out of 8 Moguls, 2 of them had Wifi problems. I managed to upgrade them with the 3.35 rom and still had the same issue. Its not the physical switch on the side of the unit, i checked that first thing, not to mention the icon would appear when i used the switch.

I did note on the inside of the unit, there appears to be an antenna on the top of the device under the keyboard. On the 2 that had wifi problems, I noticed what appeared to be a small bubble of solder near the lead going to the antenna, one of the working wifi units did NOT have this. SO i am wondering if its a cold solder joint, or a short that caused it to melt, or just bad manufacturing. Now without knowing for sure if thats indeed a wifi antenna, the CDMA antenna, or a combination of the two, i cant really confirm if this is the problem. But for now i am leaning towards that.
One more thing to note, they would get signal if i pressed hard on the unit towards the top, or if jarred it might connect for a few minutes. But overall its about 90% non working.

On all 8 moguls, i would also have to turn on WIfi, turn on radio, let it connect to Sprint system, then turn off radio in order to get wifi to work with non active units. So if someone wanted to buy one for wifi use only and not actual phone, they would have to figure this out. This is the first time i have seen a PDA do this. Normally you can turn on the wifi with no radio on and it would connect. Not this device.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Lurker

Chinch is a n00b
Thumbs down Re: Trouble with Wifi on PPC Mogul 6800

I am also having a similar wifi issue. I turn on the wifi, I have it at "Best performance," network adaptor on 802.11b/g and I can usually see most networks I want to connect to. Once I setup the networks security login/keys, the wifi doesn't connect and the network I want to connect goes from available to unavailable. I have noticed that if I press hard on the top of the phone it sometimes connects, like Bigwrigg mentioned. This problem just popped up in the last few weeks, as I have had the wifi working great since I bought it a year ago. It has been an issue with the stock telus rom and radio and now is still an issue with the 3.35 radio and 5060 kitchen.

I think it is a software issue. Hopefully we can figure this crap out.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Give him the KICK!!!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO w/TP as a Back Up
Carrier: sprint

dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions

i just assumed my wifi switch is broke.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

mike_85_ripper is becoming a great contributor

my wifi wasn't workin at all last week so i took it to a sprint store and they gave me brand new one with all the accessories
Old 04-21-2008, 05:09 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I was getting spotty results with my wifi on both apache and mogul.. of couse it helped to turn off encryption or go wep, but I use the wifi so rarely that wep is a pain. I could connect sometimes, but would constantly tell me my key was bad.
finally decided it was my cheep router (hawking).. so i went to my junk bin, found a linksys wrt54g that the wan port was bad on.. turned off wifi in the hawking and set the linksys to the same network, bingo access point.

moral of story; try different access points.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II
Carrier: Verizon

buckyswider is a n00b

Just a "me too". 5060 from the kitchen. First time I noticed was yesterday. Couldn't attach to home wifi- I toggled the switch and it stayed on EV. A soft reboot fixed it.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

slowlx is a n00b

Ive had this problem for a while as well. I do have the latest Sprint ROM, but when I switch the wifi switch on, all i get is the little icon but no activity at all. I'm debating whether to take it in or not?

HTC EVO
Old 04-21-2008, 03:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

NighthawkIX is a n00b

I may have a solution that just worked for me: Mine was displaying a list of access points, but would always be stuck on "connecting" and never connected. I tried variuos access points but none worked, and most were excellent signal. No data encryption or keys were requried on my access points.

I am using radio v 3.35, Vetvito's Aero Blue Pill (WM 6.1)

Go to Connection tab under settings, and go to Wifi. Click on network adapters, and tap the IEEE 802.11b/g compatible wi-fi adapter. Mine was set on "Use Specific IP Address" rather than "Use server-assigned IP address". Once i switched to the server-assigned IP address, my wifi started working. Give it a shot and tell me if it works.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Lurker

Chinch is a n00b

Hey Nighthawk. Thanks for the idea. I checked my settings and it is set to "Server Assigned Address." It also can't be my access point as my home router and work wirless used to connect properly for about a year before this problem popped up. The frustrations continue...

Last edited by Chinch; 04-23-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

theladydoc is a n00b

I absolutely love my mogul. like you all, the wifi connected to everything at first... now nothing. probably after i started downloading all kinds of great stuff that i use incessantly. could something i added be interfering??? sprint tells me to contact htc, but the mogul isn't supported on their website. anybody got some basic steps for me to try? when i flip the switch, the icon comes on & even recognizes available networks, but gets stuck on 'connecting'. frustrated, but still a mogul-fan!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan