PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 11:18 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II
Carrier: Verizon

Geebox is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Official Titan built-in GPS Thread

Ok I read the thread here and havent see this.

There is simple GPS enabled cab install for the Verizon XV6800 new MR1 Rom update. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...424387&page=12 thread 113 page 12.

After a simple cab install, I have Google Maps, Google Navigator, Live Search, TomTom6 and VZ Navigator working with no problems.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid 2

whopper68 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to whopper68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebox View Post
Ok I read the thread here and havent see this.

There is simple GPS enabled cab install for the Verizon XV6800 new MR1 Rom update. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...424387&page=12 thread 113 page 12.

After a simple cab install, I have Google Maps, Google Navigator, Live Search, TomTom6 and VZ Navigator working with no problems.
this man knows his Sh*t...helped me get mine runnign is only minutes
Old 09-22-2008, 03:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

kid_29 is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to kid_29

is it me or did sprint take off the part of internet sharing that was free
6800Mogul
Got Me A TouchPro
Old 09-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon xv6800

krusty123 is a n00b
Thumbs up Re: Official Titan built-in GPS Thread

Yep, the link has a great cab file to load! works great, very nice for google maps!=D>
Old 10-20-2008, 05:30 PM
gof
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul

gof is becoming a great contributor
Sprint Mogul GPS works in Europe

Well folks, it's an improvement. I can confirm that I can use the Sprint Mogul internal GPS in Germany without cell service (obviously).

I'm using ROM base 3.56 (using the Kitchen), Rom Date 6/16/2008, Radio 3.42.02

A few specifics. I used VisualGPS to monitor the lock progress. It does take a long time to get a cold lock, around 10+ minutes. Warm locks are a bit faster, perhaps 3-5 minutes with a clear view of the sky. Once it locks, it holds ok, even out the window of a moving S-Bahn.

I was also able to get a lock using TomTom7. TomTom doesn't like being in flight mode, but if you turn on Bluetooth, it fools it. Again, don't expect to use it on-demand due to the long initial lock time.

I did run into the occasional odd reboot where when trying to get a lock the PPC would suddenly reset. I'm guessing it's a bounds check or something in the driver that wasn't well debugged when accessing regions outside the US. I've never had a reboot on my current config, but got three over the last 24 hours of testing...

Anyway, let me know if there are any questions. I'll be here another couple of days if someone want's something tested.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:22 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: mogul

princelton is a n00b

gof... can u tell me if any of your GPS w/o internet is due to your custom ROM? I have the HTC rom with WM 6.1 (don't know the #'s) but it is the most current available from the US HTC site.... I use tomtom 7 and google etc all very well but want to know that if I ever get turned around, riding my Harley, and get myself lost in the Oregon wilderness, that I can bring up tomtom and find some cool way home... I have the HTC gps tool, but I don't think im using it right.... I hit open port (com4 usually) and #'s start flyin'.... if I wait a while it will get a lock on my position and show my coordinates and such (is this getting a "lock"?) if I hit launch nav, it dings, but nothing happens, if I open tomtom it still dials up...... am I not doing something right? or is it working right, and if there were no cell signal, it would still connect.... (havent been out of cell signal range since I got tomtom) thank u, all of you! I read here and @ xda daily and have for almost a year, I just never post......
Old 10-21-2008, 10:58 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: mogul

princelton is a n00b

OK! I got it! With the stock current ROM I can finally get GPS navigation using Tomtom7 without a cell signal! (tested in airplane mode)
First off I couldn't get the HTC nav tool to work as a primer to tomtom. I couldn't get astrolauncher to work at all.... so I went to www.visualgps.net and downloaded VisualGpsCE, it is free. Gof mentioned this program above, but I thought he ment something else for sone reason (like he was using a visual gps, like the phone, with tomtom or something, as opposed to just the data...... noob'ness on my part)
I then set Visualgps to com4.
Thanks again to gof, I too found that blue tooth has to be on (on mode tab, check box for "turn blue tooth on" and nothing else filled in or checked. (com manager, options, blue tooth)
Next was a soft reset for good measure
After restart, I turned phone off in comm manager using airplane mode
Next I launched Visualgps, after it got a lock on >3 satelittes I "minimized" using start, today
Last was opening tomtom7 and instant location, poof just like that! I think if u wait for visualgps, its all the waiting u have to do. In my testing, I average 1-3 minutes total, including opening, minimizing, opening etc..
I even tested to see, and I was able to "minimize" tomtom, turn phone on, make a call, put back into airplane mode, maximize tomtom, and I never lost my route! Whooo Hoo thanks gof, and everyone!!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:00 AM
gof
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul

gof is becoming a great contributor

Congrats on getting it working. I was able to test using airplane mode in the US previously. It just seemed that the GPS driver was written in a way that wouldn't lock outside the US/North America. It would "see" sats, but never achive a lock. Now I can get locks all the time, but it is slow, and there are occasional sudden resets while seeking the lock (I haven't experienced any once the lock is made).

As a clarification, you only need to turn on something (bluetooth, cell, or WiFi) to get TomTom 7 to not think the phone is in flight mode and access the GPS. It seems TomTom7 feels that the GPS is not active if flight mode is on. The GPS will lock just fine with everything else turned off. It's just a software issue with TomTom itself.

I still think the GPS driver has a bias of some sort to North America. Even though VisualGPS will show 6 sats seen, 3 sats in use, it still won't lock until a 4th sat come in use. Also, it can have "5 sats seen", all with over 30mdB for several minutes before getting a lock.

Now to earn some points with Navizon.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

JDiddyC is a n00b
Tried everything - No GPS! (Refurb/Replacement device)

I don't think I can cook this 6800 any more! To all those that have managed to make the GPS work, was the device an original? As in new out of the box and not a replacement?

I had to get a replacement previously since the nav button quit working and before sending it in (relocked), I had the GPS working on a custom ROM with a radio ROM of 3.35. For the life of me I can't get the replacement to work with either the Verizon R1 update and the mod for GPSFix on XDA or with custom Radio and OS RoMS. I've even managed to dig into the kitchen and create several. I've used the noted GPS Viewer which I've used in the past and no luck locking onto ANY sats. Of course I've dug all through this thread and others and ensured COM4 at 4800, etc.

Ideas? Thoughts?

I'm seriously considering that my refurb replacement may truly have a faulty GPS but before I play dumb and call in saying it locks up or something.... just curious if I'm missing anything else before attempting it on yet another replacement device.

Last edited by JDiddyC; 10-26-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Forgot to add add't content
Old 10-26-2008, 11:16 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: Tried everything - No GPS! (Refurb/Replacement device)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiddyC View Post
I don't think I can cook this 6800 any more! To all those that have managed to make the GPS work, was the device an original? As in new out of the box and not a replacement?
Mine's a referb. GPS works great with stock 6.1 sprint rom (latest, latest radio, latest PRI, one step back PRL, not got around to updating that...) - "insta locks" ~ 3 to 6 seconds every time.

Mine's the "purple bezel" style case, if that matters.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan