PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

verizonguy is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Announcement: XV6800/i760 Release/Review

I had previously told you the XV6800 would be available in November. I now have the date for you. The XV6800 passed interntal testing and the hard release date is November 16th where it will appear in stores for sale. The XV6800 will be available online prior to the hard release date. I'm projecting the soft release date will be November 2nd but it hasn't been firmed up internally yet. For the soft release, the phone will not be in stores, but will be available online. They will start shipping to the stores in about 10 days, but they won't be allowed to show or sell them.

The Samsung SCH-i760 will be in stores on November 2nd, but was put up for sale online 2 days ago, so you can get it now.

I was given some hands-on with both phones today and I instantly fell in love with the Samsung SCH-i760.

It is less boxy than the XV6800 and it felt better in my hand. The i760 has a recessed external phone keypad which was the most attractive feature for me. Both phones have a slide-out Qwerty keyboard, but the action on the Samsung's slide-out was much smoother and the phone felt sturdier.

Both keyboards felt good with decent-sized, easy to use keys, but the 6800 has an advantage with the keyboard--it has more "head room" on the top above the keys. That has always been one of my complaints about the XV6700.

Both phones have 64MB of on-board RAM, but the XV6800 has the i670 beat with double the ROM: 256MB as opposed to the 128MB in the i760. Both devices have ~ 400mhz processors and use microSD cards.

The controls on the XV6800 are set up similarly to the XV6700. The i760's left and right soft keys are located over the left with a clear button in between. The odd part that will be hard for me to get used to on the i760 is the Send/End keys. They are on the left and right sides of the phone, part way up.

The i760 comes for free with two batteries!! A standard one and an extended one, so I was pretty impressed by that.

After my hands-on session today, the winner for me is the Samsung SCH-i760. In fact, I went online and bought one immediately afterwards. It retails for 519.99 but as you can see I only paid $199 for it

As always I can't disclose how I have the above info as it could jeopardize my employment, so please don't ask.

I haven't decided if I'll continue development on the apache for long as I'll be working on the i760 too.

Long live the i760!

-vzg

P.S. For those who haven't heard about the i760 yet, here are some pictures:

UPDATE: 11/08/2007
I have some bad news. I received an email today from an acquaintance who works in marketing. She said her date on the 6800 has been changed to TBD (to be determined). No one can tell me why the date changed.

The odd thing is the dummy phones are in the stores, the xv6800 is on the rebate form I got when I bought the i760, it is in the November catalog for vzw employees and flyers have been distributed to the public including the device.

I checked with internet support (1 800 711 7773) who confirmed they have no information on the device yet. This concerns me as they get full product info 30 days before an internet launch of a device.

I don't understand what is delaying the launch. It passed internal testing...

Before criticizing someone, first walk a mile in his shoes...
Then when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.

Last edited by verizonguy; 11-08-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

rawr is a n00b
oh wow, I wish telus would get that samsung!
Old 10-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker

SINNN is a n00b
Very nice. I still like my mogul over that i760, but still a nice phone. Im glad xv6800 has 64megs of ram. otherwise we mogulians would never hear the end of it. Any way you can take a picture of the XV6800? id like to see the final model. What color was it?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:35 PM
to0
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Cricket

to0 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to to0
Is there a T9 SIP so that you can do one-handed input with the number pad? That would be a VERY nice feature...
Old 10-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINNN View Post
id like to see the final model. What color was it?
There is a picture on engadget that is exactly what it looks like:

Old 10-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon

Spencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSpencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSpencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Spencer_Moore
is it jsut me or is the xv6800 wm5?!?!?!
Old 10-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by to0 View Post
Is there a T9 SIP so that you can do one-handed input with the number pad? That would be a VERY nice feature...
Sadly, the i760 doesn't have t9 out of the box. If you want to do one handed texting without sliding out the keyboard, you can still do the old fashioned push the keypad button 2 times to get an 'e' thing, but would probably be faster to pull out the keyboard
Old 10-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer_Moore View Post
is it jsut me or is the xv6800 wm5?!?!?!
It has wm6. That picture is from engadget, where coverage of the device began. When it first was designed, it was going to be released with WM5. Fortunately WM6 is on it now.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker

SINNN is a n00b
Verizonguy, will this xv6800 will have the same issue of low ram out the box like the Mogul right? Did you notice that when you played with it?

Last edited by SINNN; 10-21-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6800
Carrier: Verizon

Jeep14 is a n00b
Thats great Verizonguy, thanks for the great info....I was hesitant once i purchased the 760 because i didn't think there would be any software/ROM development. I would assume that you will be developing great things for the 760....I know that there is a whole world of people that will be willing to donate to the cause. Once again thanks for the great info and i feel much better about the purchase now.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan