PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

fwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Was I hallucinating?

Even though that functionality is ok, I didn't like not having a Soft Reset (Restart) option available and found a better way to sleep the screen AND get the Restart and Shutdown options at the same time. If you check out my post on page 2 of this thread:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=90963

There's a link to xdaShutdown which is very nice. You can remap the right softkey from plain Lock to execute this app and get options to sleep (and lock), restart, and shutdown from a skinnable menu. (Skins also on the app thread)

The registry key to change the Right (and Left) soft keys is found here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1580427

Maybe this will solve your problem while adding some value like it did for me.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jtstuedle is a n00b

Mine behaves like the first description...though I would like it to automatically lock itself and turn off when I press and hold the end key for a second....registry hack?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jtstuedle is a n00b

Notice to all of you guys that are having trouble with the phone "unlocking itself". HTC has used a magnetic sensor in the TouchPro2(stylus AND keyboard slideout) and I believe the Imagio(stylus)...if you have a holster with a magnetic top on it (the flap for closing the pouch etc...), then the phone thinks you are pulling the stylus out or sliding the keyboard open/closed - hence why the behavior has changed for you! - I suggest getting a pouch with a velcrow flap on it...I did!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6700

carteriii is a n00b

I haven't used a holster at all, and it has nothing to do with the stylus position, so that's definitely not my problem.

In playing with my friend's phone, we managed to create one situation in which we can make the phone lock or not when it simply turns off. Quite simply, we assigned the multi-media button to an application other than the default Verizon Vcast TV. That caused the lock to no longer happen. Re-assigning the multi-media button to Vcast TV caused the lock function to happen again.

I tried doing the same on my phone without any change in behavior, so I don't believe it's magically just that. There appear to be a variety of conditions that cause the problem, but simply re-assigning the button is an odd one.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:08 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Sellador is a n00b

This isn't about the device unlocking unexpectedly, this is just that the locking behavior has changed so that it doesn't lock by default if you don't choose an option on the lock screen.

Humpa, it does lock if I explicitly lock it, but now it doesn't lock if I just choose turn off screen. In that case, when I press the button again, it just comes back to whatever screen I was on. If I don't press any option when the lock screen comes up, the screen turns off automatically, but when I turn it back on, the lock screen is still on the screen and I have to press cancel. In fact, I like this behavior better than the default. It makes sense to me to have one option that locks the screen and another that just turns it off. Others do not like it. Mostly, I just want to understand it.

Carteriii, sorry about the thread title. At the time, I was only picturing a response or two just to confirm what I thought I remembered. In hindsight, I should have made a descriptive title that helped people with the same issue find the thread.

Also, I tried what you mentioned about reassigning the media button by changing it back to Vcast TV, but it didn't change the behavior in my case. Still, good idea getting with your friend on it to try different things! As more people who have the issue see this, we'll probably find the answer eventually.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

Humpa is keeping up the good workHumpa is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to Humpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellador View Post
This isn't about the device unlocking unexpectedly, this is just that the locking behavior has changed so that it doesn't lock by default if you don't choose an option on the lock screen.

Humpa, it does lock if I explicitly lock it, but now it doesn't lock if I just choose turn off screen. In that case, when I press the button again, it just comes back to whatever screen I was on. If I don't press any option when the lock screen comes up, the screen turns off automatically, but when I turn it back on, the lock screen is still on the screen and I have to press cancel. In fact, I like this behavior better than the default. It makes sense to me to have one option that locks the screen and another that just turns it off. Others do not like it. Mostly, I just want to understand it.

Carteriii, sorry about the thread title. At the time, I was only picturing a response or two just to confirm what I thought I remembered. In hindsight, I should have made a descriptive title that helped people with the same issue find the thread.

Also, I tried what you mentioned about reassigning the media button by changing it back to Vcast TV, but it didn't change the behavior in my case. Still, good idea getting with your friend on it to try different things! As more people who have the issue see this, we'll probably find the answer eventually.
The problem you describe is exactly what would occur if the stylus sensor failed. Your phone behaves exactly as it should if the stylus was removed.

As a tech, I would first determine if the stylus switch was defective. No sense trying to troubleshoot software if the problem is hardware.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwaits View Post
Even though that functionality is ok, I didn't like not having a Soft Reset (Restart) option available and found a better way to sleep the screen AND get the Restart and Shutdown options at the same time. If you check out my post on page 2 of this thread:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=90963

There's a link to xdaShutdown which is very nice. You can remap the right softkey from plain Lock to execute this app and get options to sleep (and lock), restart, and shutdown from a skinnable menu. (Skins also on the app thread)

Maybe this will solve your problem while adding some value like it did for me.
Downloaded this app. Installed it and when I hit sleep it immediately turns off the screen, but it doesn't lock it! I'm wondering if whatever changed is affecting this app also. It does the shutdown, does the reset and turns off the screen, but alas, no lock. Still totally baffled on this one.

R
Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedog View Post
Downloaded this app. Installed it and when I hit sleep it immediately turns off the screen, but it doesn't lock it! I'm wondering if whatever changed is affecting this app also. It does the shutdown, does the reset and turns off the screen, but alas, no lock. Still totally baffled on this one.

R
I keep seeing posts about this problem but no one seems interested in determining if it is software or hardware. Sounds like it is a hardware problem.

This bug is exactly how the phone will behave if the stylus is removed or if the hardware sensor for the stylus is broken.

Do a hard reset. If the problem still occurs, return the phone because that means it is hardware and can't be fixed.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Sellador is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpa View Post
The problem you describe is exactly what would occur if the stylus sensor failed. Your phone behaves exactly as it should if the stylus was removed.

As a tech, I would first determine if the stylus switch was defective. No sense trying to troubleshoot software if the problem is hardware.
Sounds reasonable, but I don't think that's the problem. It doesn't behave any differently with the stylus in or out, and if it is locked and I remove the stylus, it does unlock the device and turn on the screen. That suggests that the sensor is working. I take your point that a hard reset could be definitive on the question, but I'm not prepared to do that. I am happy with the new behavior and don't want it to go away, so I'm not going to start over configuring the phone from scratch because of something that I'm just curious about.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellador View Post
Sounds reasonable, but I don't think that's the problem. It doesn't behave any differently with the stylus in or out, and if it is locked and I remove the stylus, it does unlock the device and turn on the screen. That suggests that the sensor is working. I take your point that a hard reset could be definitive on the question, but I'm not prepared to do that. I am happy with the new behavior and don't want it to go away, so I'm not going to start over configuring the phone from scratch because of something that I'm just curious about.
I doesnt seem to be a hardware problem then. That's good, at least.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio