PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 12:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

slapmedia is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Sync your Hero to Outlook (Non-Exchange)

***Note: Please post to this thread only if you are discussing sync options between your Hero and Outlook without using and Exchange server***

Update 12/08/09 - Check out my new post about MyLink at: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1397170&postcount=13. FYI...I'm still doing great with Companion Link.

I know there are many threads in this forum regarding sync options for the Sprint HTC Hero but I'd like to narrow this one down to only discussions regarding sync options between your Hero and Outlook either wired or wireless. Once again, NO EXCHANGE, please.

Since my work does not support syncing with Exchange, I've had to look at options to provide the same (or similar) capabilities that I had with my Diamond (Windows Mobile) to assure I had my business appointments and contacts in sync.

ADVICE FOR OUTLOOK USERS TRYING TO SET UP OR TEST A SYNC METHOD: Create a seperate .PST file and copy your Calendar and Contacts to it before you test so that you can easily replace. Rather than hard resetting your device, you can easily clear your calendar and contacts (Google and Phone items) following this simple post: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1341094&postcount=68

So, here has been my finding so far:

HTC Sync Version 2.0.8 (and previous versions):
Sync Type: Outlook<>Hero via USB cable
Sync Items: Calendar, Contacts
From day one, I found installing the application to be a bit cumbersome. I had to re-install because I was getting some of the errors you've probably read about on other threads. Also, noticed some slowdown on my laptop. Once installed, the application did sync and it seemed to do a good job. The sync process took a very long time initially...about 20 minutes. Normal syncs after that still took about 4-5 minutes. But, I noticed that my appointment details and contact notes had been truncated and, after the 2-way sync was performed, truncated the information in Outlook. That was not good! I cleared all calendar and contact items and tested again. I had the same results. I also had issues throughout the testing with duplicates being created. Nonetheless, I fixed my calendar and contacts in Outlook (learned a good lesson on backing up too) and started researching.

CompanionLink for Google
Sync Type: Outlook<>Google<>Hero via Google Sync (wireless)
Sync Items: Calendar, Contacts, Tasks (via Calendar)
Free trial for 15 days and $40 bucks after that. But, so far I have had no problems. Sync has been near perfect with the only flaw when you change the date or time of one occurrence of a recurring appointment. It doesn't pick that up but, I can live with that. Installation is easy with many sync options including "purge" data on Google. Sync process is fast too. So far, it's working great but..at a cost. Also, it's not a direct-connect between device and Outlook either.

Others:

Plaxo - I have a Plaxo premium account already and there is an option to sync to Google but, there are many issues with their sync process with Google at this time. Maybe in the future though.

SEVEN Beta - Looks as if it was advertised to sync all but still only for corporate email.
__________________________________________________ _________

So, now I ask...how are you doing it?

Now using the HTC Hero (Android)

Last edited by slapmedia; 12-08-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Update
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Sync your Hero to Outlook (Non-Exchange)

My current 2-way sync setup is using a combination of CompanionLink for Google and Plaxo Premium. I have my configuration setup as:

Plaxo is installed on work computer and home laptop. I have been syncing like this for years between my business and personal PC's. So, this is flawless for me. I have CompanionLink installed on my home laptop and it's syncing my home Outlook to Google (which my home Outlook has my work calendar and contacts synced from Plaxo). Then syncing my phone to Google. Both Plaxo and CompanionLink are autosyncing every 15 minutes. So, it's not real time but it's the best I could expect so far.

Why don't I just install CompanionLink to my work computer and sync directly? Well, that would be the perfect option but, since I'm behind a firewall, CompionLink does not automatically recognize proxy setting at work so I would have to manually enter them. Hence the second problem. My company does not give those out either so I improvised. Like I said, it's working great for me now...

Last edited by slapmedia; 11-20-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Hero

faldiin is a n00b

Thank you for this thread. This is a well thought out point. I am looking for the answer also.

Faldiin
Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, HTC Evo

Askym is becoming a great contributor

ive been looking for options ever since i got my hero and all options ive found fall flat on their faces...epic fails.

tried outlook sync to google to hero.... fail... if you have contact pics in outlook the pics dont sync to google

tried the inbox sync that came with the hero 2.0.4 2.0.5 and 2.0.8 all have the same issue with dates being a day off every time you wipe the contacts on the phone and resync

tried multiple other types of sync options after hours of google searches and they all have errors and bugs.

and now since the update i cant even get my stock sync to work so here i am sitting here with a blank address book on my phone trying to find even more options that will also probably fail.

im sick of this bs

------------ update --------
Finallyafter 8 reinstalls if 2.0.8 i finally get it to work....

Last edited by Askym; 11-20-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:08 AM
I love root

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

You can use Google Calendar Sync, if you only need calendar.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askym View Post
ive been looking for options ever since i got my hero and all options ive found fall flat on their faces...epic fails.

tried outlook sync to google to hero.... fail... if you have contact pics in outlook the pics dont sync to google

tried the inbox sync that came with the hero 2.0.4 2.0.5 and 2.0.8 all have the same issue with dates being a day off every time you wipe the contacts on the phone and resync

tried multiple other types of sync options after hours of google searches and they all have errors and bugs.

and now since the update i cant even get my stock sync to work so here i am sitting here with a blank address book on my phone trying to find even more options that will also probably fail.

im sick of this bs

------------ update --------
Finallyafter 8 reinstalls if 2.0.8 i finally get it to work....
I feel your pain! I saw the post after your in regards to Google sync but, as stated, it's only Calendar. My recommendation, at this point is Companion Link. It's 2-way syncing contacts and calendar from Outlook just fine for me. What's also nice about it is that it's wireless. Hopefully, our "knight in shining armor" will see this post and rescue us with an option at a lesser cost (like free)...
Old 11-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto Q9c but Switching to HTC Hero

the_mig is a n00b

Hi - I just purchased a Sprint Hero on ebay yesterday after visiting the Sprint store where I was told that the Hero "WILL" sync Outlook via USB. Is that not true?

I have been holding off on buying a new phone (WM 6.1 now) because sync'ing to Outlook is my number one priority. I use my phone as the conduit between Outlook on my home laptop (via Bluetooth) and Exchange Server (wireless). That way my Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks are all sync'd at all three sources and if I make a change at any one of the three sources, the changes sync to all three.

I would really appreciate any insight current Hero users have.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

slbailey1 is keeping up the good workslbailey1 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mig View Post
Hi - I just purchased a Sprint Hero on ebay yesterday after visiting the Sprint store where I was told that the Hero "WILL" sync Outlook via USB. Is that not true?

I have been holding off on buying a new phone (WM 6.1 now) because sync'ing to Outlook is my number one priority. I use my phone as the conduit between Outlook on my home laptop (via Bluetooth) and Exchange Server (wireless). That way my Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks are all sync'd at all three sources and if I make a change at any one of the three sources, the changes sync to all three.

I would really appreciate any insight current Hero users have.
If you have an Exchange Server, that is all you need to keep Outlook and your phone synced, even with Windows Mobile - direct syncing between phone and laptop via bluetooth or USB is not required or need.

In Window Mobile, just setup your Exchange account. Any email sent to you Exchange account email address will appear in Outlook on your laptop AND on your phone. If you add, edit, or delete any contacts or tasks in Outlook, those changes will be reflected on your phone. If you add, edit, or delete any contacts or tasks on your phone, those changes will be reflected in Outlook.

Now with Hero, you can do the same things - setup your Exchange account on your phone and have the correct sync settings and your phone will stay synced with Outlook on your laptop via your Exchange server. There are a few things to keep in mind about Exchange and the Hero.

1. Using the built-in Exchange support on the Hero will not sync Tasks.
2. Not all security settings are supported.

To be able to sync tasks via Exchange, and to have all security settings supported, you must use a 3rd party Exchange application. A the best one to use is Touchdown and it only cost $10.

The Hero does not have any bluetooth sync support with Outlook. If you want to directly sync with Outlook, you must do USB sync, using the HTC Sync application. There are a few things to keep in mind about HTC Sync.

1. Tasks and Emails ARE NOT synced.
2. The only thing that are synced are Contacts and Calendar.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Kind of a BIG Deal
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

athlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to athlet1c Send a message via Yahoo to athlet1c Send a message via Skype™ to athlet1c

I bet Winmo would love to make it or at least not cooperate with its competitor. I am sure they could assist with integration of this system. I am sure they are not liking the Chrome OS coming out
Thank a Fellow Geeker If you have been helped by hitting the button below
Old 11-28-2009, 03:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: hero
Carrier: t-mobile

prmobhero is a n00b

Thing I found with syncing to outlook was that all my contact photos are reduced down in size automatically by outlook. So they look really bad on the phone. Anyone know a way around this?
Apart from this it works fine for me.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero

Tags
companion link, hero, htc sync, outlook, sync