View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 05:33 PM
slbailey1
PPCGeeks Regular

slbailey1 is keeping up the good workslbailey1 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sync your Hero to Outlook (Non-Exchange)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mig View Post
Hi - I just purchased a Sprint Hero on ebay yesterday after visiting the Sprint store where I was told that the Hero "WILL" sync Outlook via USB. Is that not true?

I have been holding off on buying a new phone (WM 6.1 now) because sync'ing to Outlook is my number one priority. I use my phone as the conduit between Outlook on my home laptop (via Bluetooth) and Exchange Server (wireless). That way my Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks are all sync'd at all three sources and if I make a change at any one of the three sources, the changes sync to all three.

I would really appreciate any insight current Hero users have.
If you have an Exchange Server, that is all you need to keep Outlook and your phone synced, even with Windows Mobile - direct syncing between phone and laptop via bluetooth or USB is not required or need.

In Window Mobile, just setup your Exchange account. Any email sent to you Exchange account email address will appear in Outlook on your laptop AND on your phone. If you add, edit, or delete any contacts or tasks in Outlook, those changes will be reflected on your phone. If you add, edit, or delete any contacts or tasks on your phone, those changes will be reflected in Outlook.

Now with Hero, you can do the same things - setup your Exchange account on your phone and have the correct sync settings and your phone will stay synced with Outlook on your laptop via your Exchange server. There are a few things to keep in mind about Exchange and the Hero.

1. Using the built-in Exchange support on the Hero will not sync Tasks.
2. Not all security settings are supported.

To be able to sync tasks via Exchange, and to have all security settings supported, you must use a 3rd party Exchange application. A the best one to use is Touchdown and it only cost $10.

The Hero does not have any bluetooth sync support with Outlook. If you want to directly sync with Outlook, you must do USB sync, using the HTC Sync application. There are a few things to keep in mind about HTC Sync.

1. Tasks and Emails ARE NOT synced.
2. The only thing that are synced are Contacts and Calendar.
This post has been thanked 1 times.