PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 03:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

slapmedia is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sync your Hero to Outlook (Non-Exchange)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmobhero View Post
Thing I found with syncing to outlook was that all my contact photos are reduced down in size automatically by outlook. So they look really bad on the phone. Anyone know a way around this?
Apart from this it works fine for me.
That's a new one for me. I think I've been more concerned about syncing period. Are you using HTC Sync? If so, are you noticing that your contact notes and appointment details are being truncated?

Now using the HTC Hero (Android)

Old 11-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto Q9c but Switching to HTC Hero

the_mig is a n00b
Thumbs up Re: Sync your Hero to Outlook (Non-Exchange)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
If you have an Exchange Server, that is all you need to keep Outlook and your phone synced, even with Windows Mobile - direct syncing between phone and laptop via bluetooth or USB is not required or need.

In Window Mobile, just setup your Exchange account. Any email sent to you Exchange account email address will appear in Outlook on your laptop AND on your phone. If you add, edit, or delete any contacts or tasks in Outlook, those changes will be reflected on your phone. If you add, edit, or delete any contacts or tasks on your phone, those changes will be reflected in Outlook.

Now with Hero, you can do the same things - setup your Exchange account on your phone and have the correct sync settings and your phone will stay synced with Outlook on your laptop via your Exchange server. There are a few things to keep in mind about Exchange and the Hero.

1. Using the built-in Exchange support on the Hero will not sync Tasks.
2. Not all security settings are supported.

To be able to sync tasks via Exchange, and to have all security settings supported, you must use a 3rd party Exchange application. A the best one to use is Touchdown and it only cost $10.

The Hero does not have any bluetooth sync support with Outlook. If you want to directly sync with Outlook, you must do USB sync, using the HTC Sync application. There are a few things to keep in mind about HTC Sync.

1. Tasks and Emails ARE NOT synced.
2. The only thing that are synced are Contacts and Calendar.

Slbailey1 - Thanks SOOO much for your post. I had no idea that my home version of Outlook had the capability of connecting to my work exchange server. I set up that relationship today and it works PERFECT! Now I don't have to worry at all about sync'ing my calendar and contact data back to outlook on my home PC.

Hopefully my Hero will arrive on Monday and I can try out the Exchange sync'ing relationship on the phone.

Thanks again! =D>

(Slapmedia - please accept my apologies. I know this post was specifically for Outlook, which was part of my problem, but the solution ended up being Exchange related.)
Old 12-08-2009, 05:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well, I've been watching this product called MyLink by Wave Global and it's available in the market. Search for MyLink and download the app. You can get a sense of what it looks like. You will need to download a desktop client that will allow you to mount your device to your PC and it will sync email (inbox, sent, outbox), contacts, calendar (iCal supported), tasks and notes. There are 3 options for the desktop version at this point. The FREE version allows just inbox sync. The 2.99 Euro option adds full email access and the 4.99 Euro option adds calendar, contacts, tasks and notes. At this point, it's a wired sync meaning you have to mount your device but, from what their website states, if you download either option before 01/31/10, you will be eligible for the free desktop client upgrade that will allow wireless sync! Does anyone remember about 2-3 years ago, Sprint had Desktop Connector? I sure hope this is something of the same. Looks a bit like a Funambol and Seven option combined at a cheaper cost too! I'm testing the free version now and it seems to be working. I'll keep everyone posted...

For those of you who would like to try it out, here's the link to the site: http://www.myandroidplanet.com/index.php

Last edited by slapmedia; 12-08-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

verngator is just getting started

I'm monitoring this thread as I consider whether to jump to the Hero, so I'm giving you a big THANKS for starting this thread.

I MUST sync Outlook Contacts and Calendar - can't lose that functionality.

Due to corporate policy that wipes out any Calendar item older than 90 days, I use a combination of ActiveSync and Intelllisync to selectively sync forward and keep history on my phone. My Diamond is running 6.5 Mighty ROM - stable, fast, good...but I'm coveting the large Hero screen on this relatively thin device.

So keep the info coming!
Palm Pilot-> Palm Pilot 1MG upgrade-> Palm IIIx-> Visor Deluxe-> Visor Prism-> Clie N610c-> Verizon Kyocera 7135-> Verizon Treo 600-> Sprint Treo 650-> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Diamond -> Sprint Hero -> Sprint EVO + tech support for spouse's Sprint Epic
Old 12-12-2009, 09:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by verngator View Post
I'm monitoring this thread as I consider whether to jump to the Hero, so I'm giving you a big THANKS for starting this thread.

I MUST sync Outlook Contacts and Calendar - can't lose that functionality.

Due to corporate policy that wipes out any Calendar item older than 90 days, I use a combination of ActiveSync and Intelllisync to selectively sync forward and keep history on my phone. My Diamond is running 6.5 Mighty ROM - stable, fast, good...but I'm coveting the large Hero screen on this relatively thin device.

So keep the info coming!
I too have the same need. I use a combination between Plaxo and Companion link...see my setup in previous post. It's syncing over the air and has been pretty reliable over the last month...no issues.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero

Tags
companion link, hero, htc sync, outlook, sync