PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 01:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Phew I'm getting great battery life now (light use)

I was really worried reading reviews on battery before I got the EVO.

And when I got it, I thought, oh crap the reviews were right.

But I had the same issues and read the same reviews on every prior phone.

First I thought, be patient. Let it go through a few charge cycles. That didn't seem to help.

Then I did just two very small things.

Shut Auto Bright off and set to like 30-40% (Same as I did on TP2)

Shut off some auto sync stuff (Same as I did on TP2).

There is a lot of flexibility and smarts with the syncing.

Background Syncing [On] I almost shut this off but didn't have to.

Auto-sync[On]

News [ALL OFF]

Stocks [ALL OFF]

Weather [Still On] but set for 3 hours, Most Brain dead weather app on the planet.

Exchange Schedule MANUAL. All other settings on.

Google Mail Sync Contacts only so Voice Search works.

And that's it. With Stock setting Everything was on and Exchange was As Items Arrive.

What's great is it's very smart about syncing and the second you touch an app it syncs pretty fast right then. And it still syncs Exchange email async sometimes. But I'm not sure what decides when it does. Perhaps it sees network up with Weather 3hr cycle and syncs then or something. What ever it's doing it does not chew battery.

I went from being like 30% by 6PM to being 80% by 6PM. I can even skip a day charging now.

Not sure exactly which solved it and I'm afraid to tinker with it to find out.

This is on straight stock ROM. Stock Battery. I'm very careful about new background apps that use Network.

This battery is as good or better than TP2 was. I can go days now.

I'm not a heavy user. But before, even on Standby it was sucking it down quick. I thought Auto Bright and Exchange with As Items Arrive might be less of battery hog on Android, but apparently not.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Phew I'm getting great battery life now (light use)

I think this is all kinda old news but Im glad your enjoying your phone. the problem for me if I turn everything off would be Im not actually getting to using the phone.

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (FRESH!)
Carrier: Sprint

tripflex is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to tripflex

Yeah that's the problem i had at first too, one thing i hated about the Evo.

HOWEVER, i know use the program Juice Defender and it works like a CHARM! I can absolutely notice the difference, i'd say i get about 30-40% more battery life per day.
Shared Hosting 20% Off Forever (Promo Code:PPCG20)
Old 01-17-2011, 02:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

For those that don't mind having a phone the size of a Mogul, the Seidio is what's happening. I just don't think about batteries anymore. If I wake up in the mornig and realize I didn't put the phone on the charger the night before, I just stick it in my pocket an go to work. I'll have 30% or more when I come home. Everyone thinks it ruins the phone format but I came from the Mogul and it is still smaller an lighter.

BTW - I gave my daughter an EVO for Christmas and she uses JuiceD. She claims she makes it into a second day reliably.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I made similar changes to the ones in the OP... Then I installed Juice Defender... And turned off Friendstream... I check Twitter when I want and facebook too... I don't need the phone to do that for me.
I'm a pretty heavy user so the first week I had the phone I was ready to return it... This weekend I got very good battery life with all the changes... The best thing is that the batteries off my old TP2 work on my EVO. Spare battery FTW.
I don't even worry about battery life anymore.
I have a charger at home... One in my car... And one at work.
p.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

Ryum is a n00b

About the phone and the battery, I found replacement batteries, and docks with back up batteries and ect, but that's not what I want. Having to take off the case and back sucks. What I'd like to get is a battery that you plug into the mini usb and it recharges your battery. I have seen them for some devices like the iphone. Has anyone seen something life that for the evo?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

I have a big backup battery by Black and Decker that accepts a USB cable... It will charge up your phone But I would MUCH rather remove the back and pop in a newly charged battery than have to carry some brick with me. I might as well put on the SEIDO battery and back.
But that's just my opinion.

I'm sure there are different portable battery packs out there that will juice up your phone on the fly.

p.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

Ryum is a n00b

What's the name of that black & decker battery? That sounds close to what I am looking for. I ask because when I just look it up by "black & decker battery" TONS of kinds of products come up
Old 01-17-2011, 03:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Yeah taking off the back sucks. It won't last. And neither will the Micro USB if you need to use it 3 times a day.

If you are heavy user an extended battery is the only way to go.

I do have charging at work, home and car (when I get some friggin cables that work). But I only use that when I need it.

I used the GPS for like 1.5hrs the other day (with no extra charging) and got through the day fine.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

It's one of these... But it's an old model... I couldn't find it either... Mine is HUGE... LOL... These are pretty slim...

black and decker usb power supply - Bing

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G