View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 01:24 PM
mswlogo
VIP Member

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Phew I'm getting great battery life now (light use)

I was really worried reading reviews on battery before I got the EVO.

And when I got it, I thought, oh crap the reviews were right.

But I had the same issues and read the same reviews on every prior phone.

First I thought, be patient. Let it go through a few charge cycles. That didn't seem to help.

Then I did just two very small things.

Shut Auto Bright off and set to like 30-40% (Same as I did on TP2)

Shut off some auto sync stuff (Same as I did on TP2).

There is a lot of flexibility and smarts with the syncing.

Background Syncing [On] I almost shut this off but didn't have to.

Auto-sync[On]

News [ALL OFF]

Stocks [ALL OFF]

Weather [Still On] but set for 3 hours, Most Brain dead weather app on the planet.

Exchange Schedule MANUAL. All other settings on.

Google Mail Sync Contacts only so Voice Search works.

And that's it. With Stock setting Everything was on and Exchange was As Items Arrive.

What's great is it's very smart about syncing and the second you touch an app it syncs pretty fast right then. And it still syncs Exchange email async sometimes. But I'm not sure what decides when it does. Perhaps it sees network up with Weather 3hr cycle and syncs then or something. What ever it's doing it does not chew battery.

I went from being like 30% by 6PM to being 80% by 6PM. I can even skip a day charging now.

Not sure exactly which solved it and I'm afraid to tinker with it to find out.

This is on straight stock ROM. Stock Battery. I'm very careful about new background apps that use Network.

This battery is as good or better than TP2 was. I can go days now.

I'm not a heavy user. But before, even on Standby it was sucking it down quick. I thought Auto Bright and Exchange with As Items Arrive might be less of battery hog on Android, but apparently not.