PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you rooted your phone yet?
Yes 109 56.77%
No 83 43.23%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 02:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

elementalwindx is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Who really sees a need to root this phone?

Honestly out of all the phones I have had, I must say that this is the first phone that I have not had the desire to root yet.

The only reason I see to mod it is to get the free hotspot. But the catch 22 is its only really worthy if you have 4g in your area (which I dont). If you use the 3g, you get kicked off when you recieve phone calls. Or you cant recieve them. I can't remember which way it goes.

Who else has not had any desire to root their phone yet?
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

fenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Who really sees a need to root this phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalwindx View Post
Honestly out of all the phones I have had, I must say that this is the first phone that I have not had the desire to root yet.

The only reason I see to mod it is to get the free hotspot. But the catch 22 is its only really worthy if you have 4g in your area (which I dont). If you use the 3g, you get kicked off when you recieve phone calls. Or you cant recieve them. I can't remember which way it goes.

Well it depends... I use my laptop and if I dont want/cant/have around to carry the micro USB cable, having wifi access is very nice.

As far as how it goes... it can go both ways depending on the setting you have for DDTM mode.

ROM: DamageControl 3.1.2
Radio: Stock +upgrade (for now)
Old 07-01-2010, 02:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evolte

grad20_09 is becoming a great contributor

Random phone reboots??? Rooted I havn't had an issue yet....
Old 07-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Rooted and love it. At first (about a week), I thought about rooting but held off. I got to the point where I couldn't wait anymore; I wanted to try Froyo, overclocking, underclocking, custom ROMs, extensive theming, etc. I am very glad I rooted, I like to have full control and endless options on my phones.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

elementalwindx is becoming a great contributor

I dont have the crap battery everyone talks about or the random reboots. Now if I have pandora playing all day, hell yea the battery only lasts like 4 hours. I pre ordered that 3500mAh battery and still patiently waiting for it to ship....
Old 07-01-2010, 02:50 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalwindx View Post

I don't get that many phones calls at night, and it works fine on 3G to stream Netflix Movies through my Roku box. It looks as good as on the cable wireless, and the cable goes down quite often here, so I love the wireless tether. while there is an ethernet port on the Roku box, there is no USB port, so the Wifi tether is the only way. And Unrevoked is "root enough" for free wifi tether and many other things that need root, and it's about as easy to install as an app.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:25 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Rooted and removed all the junk ware

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
Google is the next skynet
Old 07-01-2010, 03:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, HTC Evo

Askym is becoming a great contributor

rooted mine as soon as i got it. first thing to go was the bloatware. dont use it nor do i want it. i also get rid of those pesky unwanted ads. if you pay this much for a phone i dont see why anyone wouldnt want full control of their phone.

Tips to better battery management -----> http://www.goodandevo.net/2010/05/20...tery-life.html
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 AM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Re: Who really sees a need to root this phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Rooted and removed all the junk ware

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
Same here. Works like butter now

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

This is the first phone I've ever owned that I did want to root it. In the WinMo world, I was perfectly content to just hack the registry and tweak things to my liking, but with Android I'm at the mercy of HTC and Sprint until I root it and set it free from their shackles.

Now, rooted, I have a more stable experience by removing all the Sprint crap; better battery life (can easily get 15 hours on moderate to heavy life); and I can install Wifi Tethering for Root and get free wifi tethering that effectively turns my $10 premium data fee into a $20 savings on tethering. That's a no brainer bargain in my opinion.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G