PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart
Re: Scared "rootless" to root my EVO : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny View Post
So you dont need unrevoked forever to flash custom roms, just unrevoked 3.2.1?
Unrevoked Forever has nothing to do with rooting your phone (kinda).

I'll explain.

Unrevoked 3.2.1 uses an exploit in the operating system to grant you superuser access to all the files on the device. It then installs an application to allow you to white and blacklist applications that request root access. It then executes a script that makes this root status persistent, thus giving you permanent root access. It then installs a custom recovery console to enable you to create backups and flash unsigned updates (custom roms)

Unrevoked forever is completely different. Forever allows you to unlock the phone's bootloader (Hboot). The bootloader is a completely separate entity from the recovery and OS partitions. Hboot can ONLY flash signed updates (signed updates with the nomenclature of PC36IMG.zip). What unrevoked forever allows you to do is turn the signing check OFF, making Hboot capable of flashing UNSIGNED PC36IMG files. The advantage is this: Even if you lose root access in the OS and have the stock recovery image installed (Perfect example being after an OTA official update), Hboot is unaffected. Like i said, Hboot is a totally separate module, so it is still unlocked. You then just drop a PC36IMG.zip that contains the recovery of your choice onto the sdcard. Hboot sees the zip and thinks "Aw, bro! A PC36IMG! Imma get in on that! I have no desire to check if it's signed, let's just do this!" -- Boom. You installed a custom recovery. Now, you get an update.zip that contains superuser.apk. Flash it in recovery just like a rom. Boom. That OTA update you just installed is now fully rooted without changing any system files. It is totally stock but with root access. Win.

Unrevoked Forever is more of a stop-loss for if you lose root and less a root method. Hope this clears things up for people.

Sponsored by Kools.

Last edited by bradart; 10-06-2010 at 10:51 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradart View Post
Unrevoked Forever has nothing to do with rooting your phone (kinda).

I'll explain.

Unrevoked 3.2.1 uses an exploit in the operating system to grant you superuser access to all the files on the device. It then installs an application to allow you to white and blacklist applications that request root access. It then executes a script that makes this root status persistent, thus giving you permanent root access. It then installs a custom recovery console to enable you to create backups and flash unsigned updates (custom roms)

Unrevoked forever is completely different. Forever allows you to unlock the phone's bootloader (Hboot). The bootloader is a completely separate entity from the recovery and OS partitions. Hboot can ONLY flash signed updates (signed updates with the nomenclature of PC36IMG.zip). What unrevoked forever allows you to do is turn the signing check OFF, making Hboot capable of flashing UNSIGNED PC36IMG files. The advantage is this: Even if you lose root access in the OS and have the stock recovery image installed (Perfect example being after an OTA official update), Hboot is unaffected. Like i said, Hboot is a totally separate module, so it is still unlocked. You then just drop a PC36IMG.zip that contains the recovery of your choice onto the sdcard. Hboot sees the zip and thinks "Aw, bro! A PC36IMG! Imma get in on that! I have no desire to check if it's signed, let's just do this!" -- Boom. You installed a custom recovery. Now, you get an update.zip that contains superuser.apk. Flash it in recovery just like a rom. Boom. That OTA update you just installed is now fully rooted without changing any system files. It is totally stock but with root access. Win.

Unrevoked Forever is more of a stop-loss for if you lose root and less a root method. Hope this clears things up for people.
Lol thank you... That's been the kind of explanation I been looking for. I've been scared to root my Evo but I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny View Post
Lol thank you... That's been the kind of explanation I been looking for. I've been scared to root my Evo but I think I'm going to give it a shot.
Do it.

Bradart.ink@gmail.com on gtalk if you need help. I'm logged in 24/7.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

TheLovatScout is keeping up the good workTheLovatScout is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to TheLovatScout
Re: To root, or not to root...

Do I lose contacts, downloaded (paid for) apps and other things after root? I'm actually right about to root so a quick reply would be aaaamazing!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff
re: EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe

I DID IT... I watched videos and read everything but it's so easy you dont even need to watch the video or read. lol. The only thing I wouldn't have known about was installing the drivers for windows... Unrevoked kind of hid that part. But other than that everything went smooth!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker

TheLovatScout is keeping up the good workTheLovatScout is keeping up the good work
Question Am I ready to flash a ROM...?

I'm really sorry, but this are so many tutorials and different programs to use it's a little hard to find out if I'm ready or not. Here's what I've done:

- Rooted my phone using the one-click unrevoked 3.2.1 or whatever thing.
- Downloaded Rom Manager and backed up that current ROM.

Now I'm just kind of sitting here a little confused.

I'd like to download Cyanogen because it has a white taskbar, though it does have sense which I've never gone without sense so I don't even know if I'll like it. I was also told I can change the color of the taskbar and a lot more with Cyanogens' ROM. Yes? Maybe? No way? Also, I am still backing up this current ROM, does it usually take about 5 minutes?

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Am I ready to flash a ROM...?

It takes a little bit to backup and restore. I never flashed from Rom manager but I hear that you can flash the zip from recover as well. Just make sure to completely wipe the device (factory, dalvik, cache) before flashing.

Here is the sequence: NAND Backup, then the wipes then the flashing
Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: NeXus S 4G

Rager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Backing up the rom..look at it like this if you have alot of apps etc on your phone it will take longer.yes usually about 5 minutes,cm6 one of the best roms out there so definitely try it out.Yes you can change the color of taskbar among other things.their is many widgets in the market that can replace alot of what sense offers.good luck

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker

so did i just do the backup with Rom Manager? if so, do i just need to wipe absolutely everything and then flash cyanogen?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker

thanks gmaine

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos