View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 PM
bradart
Officer Android

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart
Re: Scared "rootless" to root my EVO : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny View Post
So you dont need unrevoked forever to flash custom roms, just unrevoked 3.2.1?
Unrevoked Forever has nothing to do with rooting your phone (kinda).

I'll explain.

Unrevoked 3.2.1 uses an exploit in the operating system to grant you superuser access to all the files on the device. It then installs an application to allow you to white and blacklist applications that request root access. It then executes a script that makes this root status persistent, thus giving you permanent root access. It then installs a custom recovery console to enable you to create backups and flash unsigned updates (custom roms)

Unrevoked forever is completely different. Forever allows you to unlock the phone's bootloader (Hboot). The bootloader is a completely separate entity from the recovery and OS partitions. Hboot can ONLY flash signed updates (signed updates with the nomenclature of PC36IMG.zip). What unrevoked forever allows you to do is turn the signing check OFF, making Hboot capable of flashing UNSIGNED PC36IMG files. The advantage is this: Even if you lose root access in the OS and have the stock recovery image installed (Perfect example being after an OTA official update), Hboot is unaffected. Like i said, Hboot is a totally separate module, so it is still unlocked. You then just drop a PC36IMG.zip that contains the recovery of your choice onto the sdcard. Hboot sees the zip and thinks "Aw, bro! A PC36IMG! Imma get in on that! I have no desire to check if it's signed, let's just do this!" -- Boom. You installed a custom recovery. Now, you get an update.zip that contains superuser.apk. Flash it in recovery just like a rom. Boom. That OTA update you just installed is now fully rooted without changing any system files. It is totally stock but with root access. Win.

Unrevoked Forever is more of a stop-loss for if you lose root and less a root method. Hope this clears things up for people.

Sponsored by Kools.

Last edited by bradart; 10-06-2010 at 10:51 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.