PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: To root, or not to root...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny View Post
I used unrevoked 3.2.1 so idk if that does a nand backup... but will that restore to the point where i made the back up... i want it back to how it was when i bought the phone but rooted... and i dont really want to flash a custom rom.
If you ROOTED via unrevoked 3.21, it is STILL exactly how you had it before rooting, except it's rooted and has the needed "root" apps installed.

Unrevoked 3.21 does not change your "rom"...

-CC
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500
Carrier: Sprint

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff
Re: To root, or not to root...

I have not flashed a custom rom. Im on the stock rom and i hust wasnt to delete everything off of it and get it to how it was the day i bought it. Like if this was windows mobile i would want to do a hard reset or clear storage on the stock rom.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Exclamation Re: To root, or not to root...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
Go in to your recovery and "wipe". You can also use ##786#, but you need your MSL, that will factory reset your phone (note; this will only reset your current rom to what ever settings it came with as custom/default, if you're on a custom rom. If you are not on the stock rom, this "default" may not be the same as how it came originally from Sprint.)

-CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny View Post
I have not flashed a custom rom. Im on the stock rom and i hust wasnt to delete everything off of it and get it to how it was the day i bought it. Like if this was windows mobile i would want to do a hard reset or clear storage on the stock rom.
Refer to previous message, quoted above.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

chachu is a n00b
re: EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe

Just had a couple questions in regards to rooting.
1) The first time I root I would lose all my mms/sms correct? After the fact when I want to load a new rom I would just nandroid backup and restore after loading.

2) Are there any benefits/drawbacks of rooting via the old command line way vs the newest one click method?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart
Quote:
Originally Posted by chachu View Post
Just had a couple questions in regards to rooting.
1) The first time I root I would lose all my mms/sms correct? After the fact when I want to load a new rom I would just nandroid backup and restore after loading.

2) Are there any benefits/drawbacks of rooting via the old command line way vs the newest one click method?

Thanks.
1 yes, you'll probably lose everything but, no that is not how a nandroid backup works.
2 time consumption

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Sponsored by Kools.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Lurker

chachu is a n00b

Thanks for the quick reply Bradart...

When you say that is not how nandroid backup works, does that mean that everytime I flash a new ROM I lose all sms/mms. There is no way to store that prior to flashing?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart
Quote:
Originally Posted by chachu View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Bradart...

When you say that is not how nandroid backup works, does that mean that everytime I flash a new ROM I lose all sms/mms. There is no way to store that prior to flashing?

Thanks.
A nandroid is essentially a snapshot of the entire system. It will undo a Rom flash. I use titanium backup from the market to back all my stuff up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Lurker

chachu is a n00b

Ah ok, so when I do the command line method of rooting, does that basically start the phone from scratch. Then after that I use titanium backup to restore all the messages after?
Old 10-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: tp

nuxbag is a n00b
Re: How to install 3.29.651.5 OTA and be rooted *stock rom*

what speeds are you getting w/2.2 and wifither
Old 10-08-2010, 06:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

69L46 is just getting started
Re: How to install 3.29.651.5 OTA and be rooted *stock rom*

I have the stock ROM that came as Froyo. I rooted w/unrevoked3. AFAIK, I have not removed any syock apps. When updating, it starts and then freezes on a screen with a red triangle with an exclamation point and a little android dude. Is there a reason besides removing stock apps that can cause this?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos