PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EvO 4Geezy
Carrier: Sprint

malibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmalibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmalibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Root new OTA with 4 clicks!

so i need 2 flash a custom rom to reap the benefits of the latest OTA?
cuz from what i understand, this is a downgrade root method. and i can 1 by 1 install the 3 OTA's that were released so far but end up back where i am now. unrootable?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: a phone
Carrier: none of your buisness

Boo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

2 ota's were released

and just flash the stock shiped rom , do only one ota and than do the unrevoked apk
Old 07-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

Alksion is keeping up the good workAlksion is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Alksion Send a message via Yahoo to Alksion

Saw this after doing the painful one.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc
Carrier: sprint

htcvogue111 is a n00b
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
NEVER apply an OTA after root!
root first then flash a ROM with a root–safe version of the OTA software.
Thank you for your response. So since I want to have the latest benefits that come with the new OTA and not have to depend on a rom that is based on OTA, is it OK for me to apply OTA FIRST and use the root method posted in ths thread?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcvogue111 View Post
Thank you for your response. So since I want to have the latest benefits that come with the new OTA and not have to depend on a rom that is based on OTA, is it OK for me to apply OTA FIRST and use the root method posted in ths thread?

Thanks
While that is technically possible you are asking for headaches IMO.
This current root process is a bit more complicated and not as thoroughly tested (because it's new) as the "old" method.
IMO you run a greater risk of not being able to root if you OTA first then try the new method.

Quote:
So since I want to have the latest benefits that come with the new OTA and not have to depend on a rom that is based on OTA
Not sure what your concern is here?
If your point is that you would like to run a Stock ROM then there are rooted versions of Stock available. Here's one:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=712695
(ignore the de-odexed version)
Old 07-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: OMG = EVO 3D

ubigred is becoming a great contributor

I don't even know where to start....do I do this on my phone or on my laptop? So far I have downloaded the ota to my laptop and unzipped the file....now I am confused.

Please help!!

^ Replace Tmo Wing with Sprint 700 Palm
Old 07-09-2010, 01:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

JaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The app goes on your laptop and you run it from there... Read the directions on the site. You have to have Sync installed, run the phone in USB Debug mode, etc.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g LTE

AYSIANA is keeping up the good workAYSIANA is keeping up the good work
Unhappy Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

Ok somebody please help me!! First I have the stock rooted version of 1.32.651.6 and I wanted to upgrade to the stock rooted version of 1.47.651.1. The tutorial said I needed full root and when I checked, I only had half so I decided to just start over and do pt 1 & 2 of the rooting to make sure I had everything I needed to proceed.

Pt 1 went fine. I got to Section 2 - Version 2 - Using a Pc: and at line 2e - I got the error in the screen shot picture here.

Now what?? Do I just continue...or did I really screw something up bad? I thought maybe my sd card was full or something but thats not it. Then I thought maybe I typed something wrong so I redid it 3x and I'm still getting the same error every time.

Somebody please help me, pretty please, with sugar on top?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rooting error.jpg (34.5 KB, 6 views) Click for barcode!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: OMG = EVO 3D

ubigred is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredC01 View Post
The app goes on your laptop and you run it from there... Read the directions on the site. You have to have Sync installed, run the phone in USB Debug mode, etc.
Hey I hate to be a total newb....but I am just not getting what I am supposed to do.

So far I have downloaded the file onto my phone and laptop.

Please help...PLEASE!!

I am running htc sync ...now do what?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g LTE

AYSIANA is keeping up the good workAYSIANA is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYSIANA View Post
Ok somebody please help me!! First I have the stock rooted version of 1.32.651.6 and I wanted to upgrade to the stock rooted version of 1.47.651.1. The tutorial said I needed full root and when I checked, I only had half so I decided to just start over and do pt 1 & 2 of the rooting to make sure I had everything I needed to proceed.

Pt 1 went fine. I got to Section 2 - Version 2 - Using a Pc: and at line 2e - I got the error in the screen shot picture here.

Now what?? Do I just continue...or did I really screw something up bad? I thought maybe my sd card was full or something but thats not it. Then I thought maybe I typed something wrong so I redid it 3x and I'm still getting the same error every time.

Somebody please help me, pretty please, with sugar on top?
Ok I got impatient and just went ahead and finished the rest of the steps for toastcf pt 1 & 2. I installed a stock (rooted ??) version of 1.47.651.1. Then I also did the no adb full rooting method for 1.47.651.1 and for the most part I seem to be ok but screwy stuff is going on for me with the Market?? Its 3:45am and I have to get up at 7 so I guess I better go to sleep now

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos