PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Touch Pro & Diamond & Evo
Carrier: BoostMobile

Kodak X is keeping up the good workKodak X is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

Hey guys, i just got my EVO and I want to root my new baby but I can't download the mtd-eng.zip and the flash_image.zip. Can somebody post another link for the files?
Thank you guys for all your help. (i'm a noob with Android)

Last edited by Kodak X; 06-23-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Reason for editing my post? because i'm a noob.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

@meek-AWESOME! Glad you got it. Sometimes the simpliest fixes are the hardest to find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak X View Post
Hey guys, i just got my EVO and I want to root my new baby but I can't download the mtd-eng.zip and the flash_image.zip. Can somebody post another link for the files?
Thank you guys for all your help. (i'm a noob with Android)
Go to Post 1 and DL the Full Root Files zip, those files you're looking for are in there.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Rooted Evo w/OMJ
Carrier: $print

EveSix is a n00b

'nother noob.

OK, I followed the instructions under "Rooting Part 1 and Part 2 FULL ROOT" and used the "Supersonic_1.32.651.1_rooted" from OMJ in step 2P. Everything went exactly as expected.

I downloaded ROM Manager. I paid/downloaded ROM Manager Premium.

Question - Are the remaining steps in the guide required/recommended?

-Manual Recovery
-Nand Backup
-Flashing a ROM
-Unlocking NAND

I'm still absorbing this - my first rooted phone - and so I kinda thought the tutorial already covered the Recovery. (I'm not sure what recovery does). Do I do the remaining portions or am I done?

TIA,
Dan
Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveSix View Post
'nother noob.

OK, I followed the instructions under "Rooting Part 1 and Part 2 FULL ROOT" and used the "Supersonic_1.32.651.1_rooted" from OMJ in step 2P. Everything went exactly as expected.

-Manual Recovery
-Nand Backup
-Flashing a ROM
-Unlocking NAND

I'm still absorbing this - my first rooted phone - and so I kinda thought the tutorial already covered the Recovery. (I'm not sure what recovery does). Do I do the remaining portions or am I done?

TIA,
Dan
Congrats! You're done. Fast is editing Post 1 so some stuff is left over from the original post.
The only step I'd suggest is the Nand Backup. It is not required for root-you have that. It's just a good idea IMO so you have a failsafe should you ever need to restore your ROM.

EDIT:Actually since you have ROM Manager you can just use that to do the Nand backup. Go into ROM Manager and select Backup Current ROM. It will initiate and perform the Nand for you. **When you have it set up like Fast says below **

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-23-2010 at 10:41 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
'nother noob.

-Manual Recovery
-Nand Backup
-Flashing a ROM
-Unlocking NAND

TIA,
Dan
EDIT: Nevermind, I'm too slow.
See Winmo's post before mine

You should do a NAND backup when you have everything set the way you like it.
I'm still working on re-organizing the thread.

Last edited by FastRX8; 06-23-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Lurker

EveSix is a n00b

Thanks, guys. Two more questions:
1. In plain english, what does Recovery do?
2. What files that I copied to the sdcard for the tutorial can I safely delete from the root of the SD card now that I'm done? What should remain?

Also, thanks for the ROM Manager "backup current ROM" tip...it's running now.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Thanks, guys. Two more questions:
1. In plain english, what does Recovery do?
2. What files that I copied to the sdcard for the tutorial can I safely delete from the root of the SD card now that I'm done? What should remain?

Also, thanks for the ROM Manager "backup current ROM" tip...it's running now.
Nope, sorry you're out of questions

Recovery gives us access to a variety of ROM tools such as wiping data prior to a new flash, creating and restoring Nand backups, flashing zips of new ROMs and radios. ROM Manager takes care of a lot of these steps.
Navigate around in there, but dont enable anything you are unsure of.

All your files used can be moved back to your PC for safe keeping or simply moved into a folder on your SD.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Lurker

EveSix is a n00b

Thanks winmonewbie and FastRX8! This thread is exactly what I needed and it worked like a champ.

RX, I see you are using the OMJ ROM - where's the best place to follow his progress and releases? The XDA site?

Bed time.
Tnx.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Thanks winmonewbie and FastRX8! This thread is exactly what I needed and it worked like a champ.

RX, I see you are using the OMJ ROM - where's the best place to follow his progress and releases? The XDA site?

Bed time.
Tnx.
OMJ is a mod on here.

His rom is in the upgrades section -
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123534
Old 06-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Just an FYI - the second link under "Items you'll need" in the first post is broken. It takes you to a generic Network Solutions parking page for joeyconway.com

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos