PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 02:39 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

fenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO - Root|Recovery|Nand Backup|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
Dude that hilarious, I just signed on to post this exact same thing, although I think you worded it better.
I talked to Meatgel on the phone and walked her through the process.
Had the same issue. I had her type in the .bat file and it worked. I'm going to take your explanation and tweak it a little to add to the tutorial.
Yeah, I forgot to write that after the CMD you need to type anything that follows in the new command prompt window.

Also, I have found that sometimes windows will deny access to some applications when the calling program is running as administrator, I guess this is one of those cases.

ROM: DamageControl 3.1.2
Radio: Stock +upgrade (for now)
Old 06-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixjn View Post
Yeah, I forgot to write that after the CMD you need to type anything that follows in the new command prompt window.

Also, I have found that sometimes windows will deny access to some applications when the calling program is running as administrator, I guess this is one of those cases.
In my tutorial, I'm just going to have people paste the following command into the run window.
"c:\evo-recovery\recovery-windows.bat"
Assuming they followed my directions and extracted to "C" this command will do the trick w/o trying to explain how to use dos.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:56 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8
@winmonewbie - And yes, I'm going to make a video for this.
lol of COURSE you are, excellent.

btw-dunno if it matters or not but when I went to OMJ 1.3 I used the Auto Recovery but did NOT use the "apply sdcard:update.zip" option, I used "install zip from sdcard"
I noticed you and other talking about that amidst your issues and just thought I'd throw that out there.

btw#2-OMJ posted the updated tethering app in his thread, WPA2 security enabled, works great.

btw#3-I killed my boot up sound again
Old 06-12-2010, 03:42 AM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
lol of COURSE you are, excellent.

btw-dunno if it matters or not but when I went to OMJ 1.3 I used the Auto Recovery but did NOT use the "apply sdcard:update.zip" option, I used "install zip from sdcard"
I noticed you and other talking about that amidst your issues and just thought I'd throw that out there.

btw#2-OMJ posted the updated tethering app in his thread, WPA2 security enabled, works great.

btw#3-I killed my boot up sound again
The apply sdcard:update.zip is happening because the SU icon issue. You didn't have a problem because you had the icon and went from a rooted custom--->rooted custom. Rom manager works excellent in that situation.

I'm too lazy to change all the pc's in my house to WPA2 so I never use it. However, I'll get the app anyways because I'm sure there are other fixes too.

I spent all day flashing and trouble shooting why the rom manager wasn't working, I haven't had a chance to look in to the bootup sound. I may hit you up for help on that.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

@FastRX8:

Great guide...I now have a rooted EVO running OMJ's latest. Couple of comments...
I wasn't able to get auto recovery working directly from boot. I was stuck on the red triangle screen...til I realize that I should go back and run the recovery-windows.bat.
When I ran the .bat file as admin on Win7...it flashed the dos screen...then it went away. I just double clicked it like most other .exe. Not sure if this was addressed...but no harm no foul.

Once again...thanx for the instructions...very easy to follow...and the videos were a great help as well!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

imtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularimtjnotu is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

after i root and use rom manager i go into bootloader and click recovery i get the /!\ in red and it does nothing...any help?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

ruckstande is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjnotu View Post
after i root and use rom manager i go into bootloader and click recovery i get the /!\ in red and it does nothing...any help?
This is where I'm at. Also, how come I don't have an OTA now? I'm still on .1.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2!

pastert33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpastert33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpastert33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpastert33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'm at the step where I need to locate the bat file but that's the problem...I've tried to run in from Command Prompt and nothing
Old 06-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw1972 View Post
@FastRX8:

Great guide...I now have a rooted EVO running OMJ's latest. Couple of comments...
I wasn't able to get auto recovery working directly from boot. I was stuck on the red triangle screen...til I realize that I should go back and run the recovery-windows.bat.
When I ran the .bat file as admin on Win7...it flashed the dos screen...then it went away. I just double clicked it like most other .exe. Not sure if this was addressed...but no harm no foul.

Once again...thanx for the instructions...very easy to follow...and the videos were a great help as well!
Yup, see that too. The instructions and video lay it out nicely but maybe a little disclaimer to NOT run as admin would be helpful....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjnotu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckstande View Post
This is where I'm at. Also, how come I don't have an OTA now? I'm still on .1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastert33 View Post
I'm at the step where I need to locate the bat file but that's the problem...I've tried to run in from Command Prompt and nothing
I'm learning troubleshooting slowly as I did not have any issues (not rubbing it in )
It appears as fast describes below that the issue is with ROM Manager on rooted but Stock ROMs, it's just not playin' nice.
The simplest solution is to forget ROM Manager until your on a custom ROM, just do the manual recovery.

fenixjn and fast had a convo last PM that may help you guys out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixjn View Post
Note for some of the unrevoked user or OTA: I had both, I removed unrevoked but could not get clockwork to do anything on recovery or run the .bat file on windows (it would flash and then dissapear running it as administrator).

Go to Run (or Win+R)
type cmd and press ENTER
type cd \evo-recovery and press ENTER
type recovery-windows and press ENTER

From this point, recovery should work. Note that you dont need admin access to make it happen but it is recommended (the method above does not use admin).

I did this on my Win7 x64 system with UAC enabled (so no, I'm not running admin by default)
Quote:
Actually, turns out, you're not doing anything wrong. I tried this countless times. I had meatgel try it, and you're reporting the exact same issue.

Here's what's happening...

Problem:
When you rooted your phone, you did not get a Superuser Permission Icon.
Why, I don't know. Once the PC36IMG.zip file ran and you rebooted, you should see the SU Icon in the apps. Your phone is rooted, so it should be there, but it's not. That missing icon causes the error.
Rom manager works fine when you are running it from a custom rom. That's why so many people are reporting success w/ Rom Manager. They already went through the process of rooting and flashing before. They have a rooted rom w/ the SU Icon. Since they just want to flash other roms or radios, they have no need to downgrade or go to stock. They use Rom Manager and it works.
You have the stock rom and I don't remember if you said or not, but I'm guessing that you did the OTA. Meatgel had the stock rom too. She did the OTA and when she rooted, her phone was rooted but she was missing the SU Icon. She downloaded Rom Manager and it failed to install a new rom.

Solution:
Install your 1st custom rom using the manual method. When you get to step #6, if you have trouble double clicking the .bat file, just go to a cmd prompt and type it in.
Quote:
In my tutorial, I'm just going to have people paste the following command into the run window.
"c:\evo-recovery\recovery-windows.bat"
Assuming they followed my directions and extracted to "C" this command will do the trick w/o trying to explain how to use dos.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2!

pastert33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpastert33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpastert33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpastert33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Yup, see that too. The instructions and video lay it out nicely but maybe a little disclaimer to NOT run as admin would be helpful....

I'm learning troubleshooting slowly as I did not have any issues (not rubbing it in )
It appears as fast describes below that the issue is with ROM Manager on rooted but Stock ROMs, it's just not playin' nice.
The simplest solution is to forget ROM Manager until your on a custom ROM, just do the manual recovery.

fenixjn and fast had a convo last PM that may help you guys out as well.

Thank you for pointing this out however, I've read over this and it's not helping...
I've tried to do it the manual way and I can't get the file to run on the comp. Where do I find the evo-recovery.zip file?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos