PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

coppermine18 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Engadget pokes fun at lack of lines for EVO launch

There was a line at mine in Everett WA (Seattle Area) at 4am I stood in line for 2 hours.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Dumbphone - Vogue - Touch Pro - Touch Pro 2 - Evo

Meanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

So, I was in Bryant Park line at 6:10am. The guy who posted the sign on Engadget was there in front of me. I was 2nd in line. Guy came in at 1am, said the police barricade was already up. Few more people showed up shortly after.

By the time the store opened, there were about 70 people.

Around 7am, assistant manager came, opened the store. Gave everyone in a line some bottled water. At 7:30, some lady came by, looked at the line, took a pic of everything with her Evo, and walked into the store. Few executive-looking people showed up too, went in.

At the same time, some dude walked up, saw that we are all standing to get Evo, said that we should all reconsider because phone is crap. Said he had to get his Hero replaced 5 times due to a problem. Never specified what the problem was, tho. And not sure how he expected everyone to react. What, we should all be "ok, you are right, let's leave"

At 7:45, salesgirl came out with a check-in sheet. Went through everyone on the line, asking for name, phone number, and how many EVO's per person. Same time said that "If you do not have photo ID, you are not getting the phone". I bought a phone without showing photo ID....

At 8:10, they let us in. Before, we got a "safety speech" saying that they will let in 15 at a time, and there's no need to run in. They said that they have 2 EVO's on display, and told everyone not to take their time with them, since everyone wants to try it.

Activation was somewhat uneventful. System was slammed, but went through in about 10 minutes. They took the phone out of the box. I said "That thing is huge" and an assistant salesgirl went "That's what I said". Juvenile part of my brain wanted me to bust out laughing right there. They took away my SERO, kept my FIMF and 27% corp. Added the Cool Fee, and off I went.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro, htc hero, htc evo
Carrier: sprint

93mustang is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to 93mustang Send a message via Yahoo to 93mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
True, but the 4G feature isn't one for most of the country, yet anyway. Some people don't have 3G yet, and who knows if they will ever get it, much less 4G. 4G doesn't probably make much sense in the Wyoming rurals (etc.), for instance. The high frequency doesn't penetrate buildings well, much less mountains.
yeah we dont have 3g yet in my state, n i dont understand it EVERY other phone company here has it. seems we would get 3g before all the 4g hype with all the sprint stores round here
Old 06-05-2010, 11:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)

eman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The only people who would be on these lines are geeks like us who are on these forums. Spread us around the country and it is not that many people at each location.

Since Sprint didn't run any advertisements on TV, not many people even know about this device or anything that is does.....

Now, the iPhone was so hyped up and was thrown in everyone's face as something they need and must have. They showed off all it's features, which was nothing really new, just that the general public never knew it was already available on WM phones. So people were just wowed and were convinced they needed this thing. With commercials every 5 minutes, the country knew what an iPhone was......

Look at the freakin iPad even. It is an oversized iPhone and people lined up for that thing. Why does anyone need it? I just don't get it! Apple just knows how to market things and make people actually think they need these things and they are cutting edge......

Sprint can run a commercial letting everyone know what the Evo can do and the iPhone can't.......Put that bad boy up head to head in a commercial. Ask people if they prefer to live in the past, or would they like to live in the now with the EVO. Larger Screen, 1ghz processor, HD recording, 8mp camera, front facing camera and video calls, sprint tv and nav, extremely fast growing app market, full flash coming soon, 4G capable, wi-fi hotspot, unlimited data, all at a cheaper plan price then the outdated iPhone. Damn, do I really need to say more?

I just don't understand why Sprint can't say these things!

Last edited by eman; 06-05-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

TheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuff

I was surprised that the Huntsville store had a line of about 20 people when I got there at 8:05am (they opened at . Took me an hour to get my phone. Went back at 8pm to buy a case for my friends phone and they said they sold out of the Evo by 11:30am. All the same sales people were there looking rather worn out. They had donuts and soda at this store as well as balloons and what not advertising 4G (silly since Huntsville doesn't get 4G).
Old 06-07-2010, 05:36 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Thank god for all those people previously brainwashed by Apple. Made my life easier getting the wife an EVO here in the STL. Not a convert yet. Viva 6.5.5!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

twistedfish is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to twistedfish

I ordered my online early Friday morning (had to work and I was afraid that they would sell out before I got mine). Got off work around 5 and went to the local Sprint store to see if I could play with the display. There were a dozen people in the store so I got excited and asked about canceling my online order and just picking one up in the store. They guy said IF they could it would be a real pain since they ship same day you order, but they were sold out of the EVO so it was a mute point.

I will say to their credit that there were a lot of accessories in the store (not something I am use to seeing when it comes to "big" phone launch with Sprint) That being said, the accessories were kind of sad, typical rubber case, a hard case and cig adapter. But they had a ton of each!!

Mine is out for delivery on the local UPS truck so I can't wait to join the ranks of the EVO crowd!!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:41 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

secondtwiggy is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor1971 View Post
I was surprised that the Huntsville store had a line of about 20 people when I got there at 8:05am (they opened at . Took me an hour to get my phone. Went back at 8pm to buy a case for my friends phone and they said they sold out of the Evo by 11:30am. All the same sales people were there looking rather worn out. They had donuts and soda at this store as well as balloons and what not advertising 4G (silly since Huntsville doesn't get 4G).
My brother was in line at the mall in Huntsville on Friday as well.. he was 3rd or 4th in line or something..

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G