PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

Gearing up to buy the Touch Pro, I came across this thread, where I made this post:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=309

Interesting. I have always noticed that the Diamond drains the battery very quickly in poor coverage areas, much worse than any other phone I've had.

This might be related--since polling in a poor coverage area requires more power.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
Gearing up to buy the Touch Pro, I came across this thread, where I made this post:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=309

Interesting. I have always noticed that the Diamond drains the battery very quickly in poor coverage areas, much worse than any other phone I've had.

This might be related--since polling in a poor coverage area requires more power.
i think the OP of your quote in that link may not have legit facts. some of the things he claims i find VERY hard to believe. and im not the only one. Why would HTC leave a heat shield out that was specked in in the first place?

Sprint didn't get any different boards then telus. they probably came off the same damn line. riddle me this, how come i have ****ty battery life like the sprint users since i flashed the sprint radio?? OH yah for got to mention my diamond gets hot as hell woth this radio too. never used to before.... i didnt know flashing the sprint ridio rom removed my radio head sheild too lol and as for the poor coverage. i belive sprints polling interval is set to 1. telus was set to 2.

oh yah. i think, but don't quote me on this. a sprint user here already disassembled one of his sprint diamonds.... and guess what. heat shield is there in the pic he took lol.

here is my proof that guy is full of ****. here is the guts of a Sprint diamond. disassembled and posted by TMZ

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=438604&postcount=53 looks

to me liek sprint didnt leave out the heat shields

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!

Last edited by Mr. X; 10-21-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
i think the OP of your quote in that link may be full of some BS. some ofthe things he claims i find VERY hard to beleive. and im not the only one.

Sprint didn't get any different boards then telus. they probably came off the same damn line. riddle me this, how come i have ****ty battery life like the sprint users since i flashed the sprint radio?? OH yah for got to mention my diamond gets hot as hell woth this radio too. never used to before.... i didnt know flashing the sprint ridio rom removed my radio head sheild too lol and as for the poor coverage. i belive sprints polling interval is set to 1. telus was set to 2.

oh yah. i think, but don't quote me on this. a sprint user here already disassembled one of his sprint diamonds.... and guess what. heat shield is there in the pic he took lol.

here is my proof that guy is full of ****. here is the guts of a Sprint diamond. disassembled and posted by TMZ

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=438604&postcount=53 looks

to me liek sprint didnt leave out the heat shields
The slot cycle index for Sprint Diamond is 2, so was the Touch I had. The forumla for calculating paging channel time is 2^N x 1.28 (where "N" is the slot cycle index). This puts the time at 5.12 seconds (or 5120ms).

I was curious about where he got the 100ms value. I certainly was not able to find this value in EPST or registry. I latched on to that particular post because, indeed, the Sprint Diamond does terribly in bad coverage areas. Extra polling can potentially explain this.

I didn't buy the heat shield claim because 1) he indicated it was to be installed _behind_ the keyboard, which would do nothing to keep heat from radiating toward the back of the phone, where it gets hot, and 2) I wouldn't think there be enough room anyhow. It is possible that he is telling the truth as he knows it/as he was told.

Are you indicating that, since flashing to Sprint radio, your phone gets measurably WORSE battery life AND more hot when compared to Telus? If so, there is hope for a ROM update. Have you flashed back to Telus to see if the battery lasts longer and phone runs cooler? If so, by how much?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Retired Staff

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
The slot cycle index for Sprint Diamond is 2, so was the Touch I had. The forumla for calculating paging channel time is 2^N x 1.28 (where "N" is the slot cycle index). This puts the time at 5.12 seconds (or 5120ms).

I was curious about where he got the 100ms value. I certainly was not able to find this value in EPST or registry. I latched on to that particular post because, indeed, the Sprint Diamond does terribly in bad coverage areas. Extra polling can potentially explain this.

I didn't buy the heat shield claim because 1) he indicated it was to be installed _behind_ the keyboard, which would do nothing to keep heat from radiating toward the back of the phone, where it gets hot, and 2) I wouldn't think there be enough room anyhow. It is possible that he is telling the truth as he knows it/as he was told.

Are you indicating that, since flashing to Sprint radio, your phone gets measurably WORSE battery life AND more hot when compared to Telus? If so, there is hope for a ROM update. Have you flashed back to Telus to see if the battery lasts longer and phone runs cooler? If so, by how much?
Im praying there is a radio update as i want to ditch this Sprint radio asap. and i agree the back of the device starts to melt down. i didnt notice untill i started using evdo in poor coverage its just obnoxiously bad. i cant get a hold of a telus rom to flash back to or id be on it like flies on $hit.

i did jump the gun on some of his claims they are legit. im still scheptical about the missing heat sheild. as he says the pic i show is not the radio. which is true. that dont matter the heat sheild is there on the side that gets hot as hell. but if the devices start failing HTC is going to have a *** load of devices to recall.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Retired Staff

the OP is a decent guy though. ive asked him to get the telus shipped rom for me he agreed that he would locate it for me if he could
Old 10-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker

I've written about this before but not in such detail. I do not believe the Diamond's built-in charger fully charges the battery. Here are the details I offered in another post:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymike
heads up boss. the issue with dropping to 94% immediately is not because of battery drain issues. it's infact an issue with the 1% battery driver. You will notice that My rom (MightROM) and Juicy's rom have removed it and went back to the stock battery for this very issue.

Keep in mind, even tho it's 94% it's still techincally fully charged, it's just having trouble reading the top end of your battery.

Hope this sheds some light on your suttle confusion
This may not be true.

I have two Diamonds, four batteries, two different external chargers, and I have been doing some testing with the 1% driver installed. When using the Diamond to charge the battery, unpon unplugging, the battery will show somewhere between 91 and 97% immediately (usually between 94 and 96%).

When I use the charger from expansys, then put the battery in the phone, boot the phone (which consumes power), the battery will show somwhere between 96 and 99% after boot, but declines quickly down to the low-90s.

When I use a cheap universal charger from eBay, boot the phone, the battery will always show 100% and stay at 100% for up to 45 minutes. After that, it is a slow decline even down to 90%. I find that my battery life is better when I use this charger.

The above is the same for all four batteries and both Diamonds.

I don't believe there is a problem with the 1% driver. It is my belief, based on observation, that the built-in charger and the expansys charger are conservative and do not fully charge the battery. You may assert that the cheap eBay charger overcharges the battery. I've had that charger for a couple of years, and have used it on three other cellular phones' batteries, and have not seen a adverse effect on their service life.

Going with a 5% or 10% simply smooths the curve and masks the exact current level (having taken account of accuracy variations).

Another observation: Especially when the battery is below 50%, if I reboot the phone, the battery will often show a few points higher after boot. This may be within the margin of error.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Sprint

neilson is keeping up the good workneilson is keeping up the good work

I just want the back of the phone to stay at a reasonable temperature. Hopefully the heat issue can be rectified with a software update, new battery cover, and/or new battery cover.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
I've written about this before but not in such detail. I do not believe the Diamond's built-in charger fully charges the battery. Here are the details I offered in another post:
very interesting... i have had charging issues before where the diamond just says f*uck this and quits charging from my pc at around 30-40%
Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work

I noticed the same just this morning. I have been using a 6700 charger and like others, 100% never held for more than a few seconds. I used a Blackberry charger last night and the charge held at 100% for about 20 minutes. The reading still went down faster than it should have for the first hour or so (about 4%) and then stabilized at 1% to 1.5% per hour.

Edit: Update. I used the Blackberry charger for a second day. The results were not the same. Battery reading within a few seconds went to 98%. I plugged it back in for another hour and the battery reading within a few seconds went to 97%, then to 94%. There is no consistency here.

Neilson, I sure would like to know if the heat issue is related to the CPU running high. My device does not heat up and the CPU always hovers around 1% at idle. Have you installed a CPU monitor? You may find something.

Last edited by cappy; 10-23-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:52 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Tilt 2
Carrier: Telus Mobility

golfman32 is a n00b

I have a Telus HTC Touch Diamond.

I am using stock ROM and am having battery issues as well.

I have GPS turned off (this is a battery drain), have bluetooth on and only turn data on when needed (I do not have weather app set to update automatically). I also have screen set to low for backlight and have settings to have backlight turned off at 2 min of non use.

I use data about 3 hours per day, do not have push email turned on and am at 15% to 20% battery life after 8 hours.

My EVDO signal is 2 to 3 bars most of the time since I am indoors at my office.

My concern is that the carriers and HTC keep saying there is no battery issue, Apple did the same thing until their 2.1 ROM and that increased battery life by 40% for iPhone 3G users.

I do also feel the device getting hot, I am still trying to understand what is really draining the battery, is it the interface, other software is does HTC use crappy batteries.

I had same issue with HTC Touch, after I purchased a Sendio 1500 Ma battery for Touch, I could get 8 hours of data with push email on and bluetooth on and still have battery to spare.

I have suggested to HTC numerous times that can not be so blind as to blow this issue of and the device battery life is fine.

If you think of this issue for someone who is deploying this type of device (more likely the PRO model) in a business, business people will not put up with less than a business day on a battery charge using push email and likely making 1 to 2 hours of phone calls.

I am guessing either the carriers and HTC are not getting enough calls complaining or are aware of this issue and just are not providing the information to front line people in customer service, I hope it is the latter and HTC engineering are working on resolution.

In my case, Telus Mobility has a Loyality & Retention team that called me to follow up on the device, they ended up providing a credit of $10/month for remaining months on my contract.

I hope HTC has a new ROM or someone creates a cooked ROM that improves the battery life.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond