View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 10:21 AM
snovvman
Regular 'Geeker

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

I've written about this before but not in such detail. I do not believe the Diamond's built-in charger fully charges the battery. Here are the details I offered in another post:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymike
heads up boss. the issue with dropping to 94% immediately is not because of battery drain issues. it's infact an issue with the 1% battery driver. You will notice that My rom (MightROM) and Juicy's rom have removed it and went back to the stock battery for this very issue.

Keep in mind, even tho it's 94% it's still techincally fully charged, it's just having trouble reading the top end of your battery.

Hope this sheds some light on your suttle confusion
This may not be true.

I have two Diamonds, four batteries, two different external chargers, and I have been doing some testing with the 1% driver installed. When using the Diamond to charge the battery, unpon unplugging, the battery will show somewhere between 91 and 97% immediately (usually between 94 and 96%).

When I use the charger from expansys, then put the battery in the phone, boot the phone (which consumes power), the battery will show somwhere between 96 and 99% after boot, but declines quickly down to the low-90s.

When I use a cheap universal charger from eBay, boot the phone, the battery will always show 100% and stay at 100% for up to 45 minutes. After that, it is a slow decline even down to 90%. I find that my battery life is better when I use this charger.

The above is the same for all four batteries and both Diamonds.

I don't believe there is a problem with the 1% driver. It is my belief, based on observation, that the built-in charger and the expansys charger are conservative and do not fully charge the battery. You may assert that the cheap eBay charger overcharges the battery. I've had that charger for a couple of years, and have used it on three other cellular phones' batteries, and have not seen a adverse effect on their service life.

Going with a 5% or 10% simply smooths the curve and masks the exact current level (having taken account of accuracy variations).

Another observation: Especially when the battery is below 50%, if I reboot the phone, the battery will often show a few points higher after boot. This may be within the margin of error.