PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 04:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddie View Post
I just ran my phone idle for 7 1/2 hours. Just the phone and data connection on (BT and WiFi off). My battery went from 100% to 34%, doing nothing! No phone calls etc. I do have email set to check every 2 hours.

Pretty sad.
I have been monitoring discharge with the Data Connection on for a couple of days (Settings, Communications, Data Connection=On). No program (Weather, email, etc.) is set to automatically connect, though. On my device, there is no effect on discharge, if the Data Connection is not transmitting and receiving. Check the white arrows at the top. As long as they are greyed, it should not effect battery. That email check that you are running may leave the connection in a state that continues to transmit. Arrows stay white. That will drain your battery like mad.

Using either Advanced Config or Diamond Tweak (I don't remember which has the option), you can set the Data Connection to disconnect after a period of inactivity. My device is set to disconnect after one minute. With the same settings as you, I have from 85% to 90% battery remaining after 10 hours. May be worth a try.

Last edited by cappy; 10-07-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

the7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy View Post
I have been monitoring discharge with the Data Connection on for a couple of days (Settings, Communications, Data Connection=On). No program (Weather, email, etc.) is set to automatically connect, though. On my device, there is no effect on discharge, if the Data Connection is not transmitting and receiving. Check the white arrows at the top. As long as they are greyed, it should not effect battery. That email check that you are running may leave the connection in a state that continues to transmit. Arrows stay white. That will drain your battery like mad.

Using either Advanced Config or Diamond Tweak (I don't remember which has the option), you can set the Data Connection to disconnect after a period of inactivity. My device is set to disconnect after one minute. With the same settings as you, I have from 85% to 90% battery remaining after 10 hours. May be worth a try.
Solid advice, I do the exact same thing.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

marcjen is keeping up the good workmarcjen is keeping up the good workmarcjen is keeping up the good work

Quote:

I had a busy day today. Decent amount of phone calls, probably no more than 1 hour total talk time. Few emails and quite a few texts. Some Google Maps use as well.

7am I unplugged my phone, down to 20% at 2pm.

Sigh.

So annoying. And Sprint doesn't have any batteries available and they said I can return the phone. She did mention that they were aware of the battery issues and Sprint was working on them. Not that I'd expect anything before the end of 2008, but at least they are hearing it about the battery issue.

I don't even use BT or Wifi, even though I bought a Jawbone 2 for my 6700 about a month ago and loved it, looking forward to being all decked out in my JB and Diamond. Well, since the battery sucks, I can't even use BT.

So frustrating.

Tomorrow I'm gonna go back to manual ActiveSync and I'll try that data disconnect option.

Cappy, can we just trade phones? Wouldn't that be a good indicator of whether it's a phone hardware difference or signal problem? We could really figure out a lot of stuff.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjen View Post

Cappy, can we just trade phones? Wouldn't that be a good indicator of whether it's a phone hardware difference or signal problem? We could really figure out a lot of stuff.

LOL. I am beginning to think that I have a real Diamond. I wonder what I can get on Ebay?

Hang in there. I'll bet that Data Connection is staying open for some reason. Keeping an eye on it may solve the problem. I don't text. Any chance of that being the culprit?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker

marcjen is keeping up the good workmarcjen is keeping up the good workmarcjen is keeping up the good work

Quote:
LOL. I am beginning to think that I have a real Diamond. I wonder what I can get on Ebay?

Hang in there. I'll bet that Data Connection is staying open for some reason. Keeping an eye on it may solve the problem. I don't text. Any chance of that being the culprit?
Eh, god I hope not.

I checked Advanced Config, didn't see any options to disconnect after idle or whatever. Looked around for Diamond Tweak, can't find that app.

EDIT: Found this in Diamond Tweaks.. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Planner\Settings\
CacheTime
-change the decimal value from the default 600 to 60

By default the Telus Diamond will disconnect data connections after 600 seconds. This does NOT mean your data connection will turn off (as seen in the connection manager) but will be idle until needed again.Every time you terminate any programs using the data network the phone will still have an active connection for 10 min (unless you shut off the phone).

Gonna try it out! Thanks Cappy!

Last edited by marcjen; 10-07-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjen View Post
Eh, god I hope not.

I checked Advanced Config, didn't see any options to disconnect after idle or whatever. Looked around for Diamond Tweak, can't find that app.
Link to Diamond Tweaks: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=409540
Old 10-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

Dreading is keeping up the good workDreading is keeping up the good work

For me, I: turned off wi-fi and bluetooth, turned off the light sensor and reduced cache-time down to 60. With that I am at 175mA when not doing anything except checking the drain level.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Just crunched a few numbers. Checking the Weather raises the discharge rate by approximately 400mA (Of course, this number would vary, depending upon what application is accessing the Internet). In my case, the connection is only on for a few seconds and then becomes inactive. So battery drain is minimal. But if the connection is left open for 10 minutes, the effect is significant.

400mA x 1/6 hours = 66.67mA drain on battery
66.67mA/1340mA=4.975% drain in 10 minutes
4.975% * 6 = 29.85% per hour drain

I other words, if the Data Connection remains active for an hour, the battery level will drop by 29.85%.

Limited information to rely on. But the calculation is revealing.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreading View Post
For me, I: turned off wi-fi and bluetooth, turned off the light sensor and reduced cache-time down to 60. With that I am at 175mA when doing anything except checking the drain level.
That sounds about right, but I am guessing that you are reading from NuePower. It has been determined that NuePower always reports 100mA higher draw, for whatever reason. The reading for your settings, as reported by others here is 57mA, at the lowest backlight.

So assuming that you are reading from NuePower and that your backlight setting is 3 instead of 1, here is my guess at your adjusted reading.

175mA - 100mA(NuePower) - 18mA (backlight-each level adds 9mA) = 57mA - same as the others in the thread

To take this a step further, with the device in standby (screen off), 57mA becomes 13mA. So with your settings you should expect 1340mA/13mA=103 hours in standby.

Note: I always have the light sensor on and have found that it has no measurable effect upon the discharge rate.

Last edited by cappy; 10-07-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
I enabled the 60 cache setting, but I'm not seeing the Data connection disconnect. Not sure if Sprint uses a different setting or ignores it.

I made the settings, restarted the phone and double checked the settings was at 60. It connected to data, then sat idle (gray bars) and continued that way for way beyond the 60 seconds.

I'm gonna keep looking around to see if there's a setting for sprint or if for some reason I'm missing something.

EDIT: After reading a few other forums, it would appear the connection won't actually "disconnect" but go into some idle state. I'll try it through the day tomorrow and see if there's any change.

Last edited by marcjen; 10-07-2008 at 10:28 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond