PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 02:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Telus)
Carrier: Telus

CNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: All this talk and no one asks how it works as a phone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Very true, but only slightly. In general most of sprints phones get the same reception, but every once in awhile they come up with a phone that won't get that reception, since i use to work at sprint as a tech, the phones that mostly had reception problems were the samsungs, but that wasn't even all of them, just some of them. Basically what we expect from the diamond is at least as good as reception fromt he touch and mogul, then they can't go wrong.
Maybe I'll find out on Monday... I work in the basement of an office, and I often get dropped calls on my Touch due to poor reception.

Clint
Old 08-17-2008, 07:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 / Blackberry 9700
Carrier: TELUS Mobility

Juicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation level

Reception is improved over my Titan (P4000) loaded with the newest radio available.

The fact that it actually has more RAM makes it a better phone, because the dialpad is actually responsive, unlike the original Touch/Mogul.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:45 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: none
Carrier: att

OneOfOne is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to OneOfOne

Quote:
Very true, but only slightly.

how is this possible?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:10 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfOne View Post
how is this possible?
What do you mean, they all work off the same network, and the signal is just as far. As long as the antenna range is the same, they would get the exact same signal. voice clarity may be different depending on how well the speakers and the mic are.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Verizon

Robtao is keeping up the good workRobtao is keeping up the good work

Quote:
What do you mean, they all work off the same network, and the signal is just as far. As long as the antenna range is the same, they would get the exact same signal. voice clarity may be different depending on how well the speakers and the mic are.
Well I think the question of reception is very valid. I have tried 3 different radios on my Verizon 6800 (Titan) and 3 different radios on my Apache 6700, and the best of all is the latest Apache. My issue is that in my home, I get a voice breakup in the form of a 'gurgle' which creates a sort of an "underwater" quality or breakup. I think the hardware 6700 antenna may actually help. But radios make a big difference as well. So I can see trying the Diamond and having to return it if it were just slightly on the weaker side as a phone.

Verizon: XV6700, XV6800 w/ROMs cooked in PPCGeeks Kitchen, Omnia i910 with cac2us ROM and Omnia 2 with Ninja4Hire's ROMS.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

CNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtao View Post
Well I think the question of reception is very valid. I have tried 3 different radios on my Verizon 6800 (Titan) and 3 different radios on my Apache 6700, and the best of all is the latest Apache. My issue is that in my home, I get a voice breakup in the form of a 'gurgle' which creates a sort of an "underwater" quality or breakup. I think the hardware 6700 antenna may actually help. But radios make a big difference as well. So I can see trying the Diamond and having to return it if it were just slightly on the weaker side as a phone.
In the basement cell I call my cubicle, I find that the reception on the Diamond is more broken up compared to my Touch, but I haven't dropped a call yet (but it's only been a day or so).

Clint
Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: TELUS

tubes75 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedog View Post
I've been reading these threads and everyone is talking about the HTC Diamond and how it looks, and how the Touchflo works, and how bad the Sprint version is color wise, but, no one has talked about how the phone performs its primary purpose. And that is, how good is it as a phone!

From the reviews that I've read on the earlier models (not having the latest ROM), there have been some eye opening comments that as a phone it is not great, in fact, most have said that it is not very good. Reception and quality is bad. Does the newer ROM fix this issue? What good is all the rest if it performs its primary function badly?

I would buy this phone, even with a red or maroon back as long as the phone works well, but without that, I will keep my current Touch.

Is there anyone out there who has one that can confirm or debunk the Diamond performance as a phone?

R
wait a sec! this thing has a phone too?!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

ilkhan is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubes75 View Post
wait a sec! this thing has a phone too?!
I wasnt sure on that either. Email/web is 90% of my usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNeufeld View Post
In the basement cell I call my cubicle, I find that the reception on the Diamond is more broken up compared to my Touch, but I haven't dropped a call yet (but it's only been a day or so).
You dont happen to have serperate A2DP and headset devices do you? (If so, do they connect simultaniously?)
Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhan View Post
I wasnt sure on that either. Email/web is 90% of my usage.

You dont happen to have serperate A2DP and headset devices do you? (If so, do they connect simultaniously?)
Sorry, no... Just a bluetooth headset (Motorola H700), which works great with it. But that's just in my car, so I haven't tested the range or anything.

Clint
Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: TELUS

dj_mysha is keeping up the good workdj_mysha is keeping up the good work

First off, my condolences to our American friends who have to wait God knows how much longer to get their hands on a Diamond. From what I've seen so far, the wait will be worth it!
I had a Vogue (WM 6.0 and 6.1) for about 10 months before upgrading to the Diamond, so that's what I'm basing my comparison on. Both devices are on the Telus network. Overall, I would say that the entire phone experience on the Diamond is a massive improvement over the Vogue. Specifically:
1. The dial-pad on the Diamond is so much more responsive that there is hardly any comparison at all between the two devices.
2. The voice quality seems to be better on the Diamond.
3. I haven't seen any difference in signal strength.
3. I don't know if this is just me, but I got to the point where I had to turn the screen off on the Vogue the second I answered a call to avoid dropping the call because I was launching random programs or, my personal favourite, enabling Airplane Mode, with my cheek while in the call. This has not happened with the Diamond, which is all the reason to buy I need!
So there you have it from the Telus perspective. I'm not at all familliar with the Sprint network, but I hope that answers your question!

Myke...
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond