PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
All this talk and no one asks how it works as a phone!

I've been reading these threads and everyone is talking about the HTC Diamond and how it looks, and how the Touchflo works, and how bad the Sprint version is color wise, but, no one has talked about how the phone performs its primary purpose. And that is, how good is it as a phone!

From the reviews that I've read on the earlier models (not having the latest ROM), there have been some eye opening comments that as a phone it is not great, in fact, most have said that it is not very good. Reception and quality is bad. Does the newer ROM fix this issue? What good is all the rest if it performs its primary function badly?

I would buy this phone, even with a red or maroon back as long as the phone works well, but without that, I will keep my current Touch.

Is there anyone out there who has one that can confirm or debunk the Diamond performance as a phone?

R
Old 08-15-2008, 10:40 PM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne
Re: All this talk and no one asks how it works as a phone!

im sure as a phone it will work just fine. and they can always upgrade the radio and rom and stuff to make it works a lil better.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6700 & 6900

buddhatikkigod is keeping up the good workbuddhatikkigod is keeping up the good workbuddhatikkigod is keeping up the good work

you know... i still think my 6700 works better as a phone then my 6900. It responds to dial buttons quicker. Sometimes i load it up and use it and i NEVER have to retype a key or anything i can type as fast as i want and it all gets loaded in (this is using the touch screen not the keyboard) The screen seems glossier to me as well.

The 6900 has a ton of advantages over the 6700 but i was surprised that the 6700 did feel more comfortable dialing then the 6900. The 6900 does get better reception though and i can emulate games i couldnt emulate on my 6700 in pdosbox.

Last edited by buddhatikkigod; 08-16-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Threadstarter

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work

In talking about the Diamond as phone I was specifically referring to the fact the the reviews that I've read so far said that the rf was terrible. In marginal areas where they had decent and ususable signal with other Sprint phones, they had little or none with the Diamond. That is a major concern for me and for the price I don't want to just assume that it will be fine as was suggested in the other post.

I use my phone for notifications from my network, and those come both by phone and by data in the form of sms. I cannot afford to have a device who's connectivity is questionable or sub par. I'm still just blown away by the fact that no one is asking this question, and especially, after several reviewers have made note of this problem.

I simply can't put my business on the line by making that assumption that because someone puts out a phone, that its primary function will be adequate just because the device is great looking and comes with lots of bells and whistles. If I buy these for my network managers, I need to KNOW that they will do the job.

As a gadget freak I love the phone but as a business owner I don't think I want to be on the bleeding edge, not when my livelihood depends on it.I'm still hoping that a reputable reviewer will post a review of the Diamond with the new ROM.

R

Last edited by racedog; 08-16-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond

mtkates is keeping up the good workmtkates is keeping up the good work

I would think that Sprint will offer the same 30 day money back return policy that they have on all of their other phones, so if you want to try one when they come out and see if it works for you, in your area, in the ways that you need it to work, you should be able to do so risk free.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero...Fresh
Carrier: sprint

bee976 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to bee976

I too would like to see a review as far as reception goes, hopefully someone will be able to deliver.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Telus)
Carrier: Telus

CNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee976 View Post
I too would like to see a review as far as reception goes, hopefully someone will be able to deliver.
Can't help too much, sorry... I'm more of a weekday phone user than a weekend user. So far the phone has worked fine in a large mall, and I'm getting 4 bars (out of 4) in my basement.

I can say the dialer is much more responsive to input than my Touch, though. As fast as I can type them in, it's got them up on the screen. Works MUCH better.

Clint
Old 08-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Nobody cares how it will work as a phone cause we all know all ready. its on the sprint network therefore it will work as good as all the rest of the sprint phones when it comes to reception. other then that if you have a ppc you already know how it works.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Telus)
Carrier: Telus

CNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Nobody cares how it will work as a phone cause we all know all ready. its on the sprint network therefore it will work as good as all the rest of the sprint phones when it comes to reception. other then that if you have a ppc you already know how it works.
That's sort of true, except that it seems every phone model varies on it's reception capabilities.

Cilnt
Old 08-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNeufeld View Post
That's sort of true, except that it seems every phone model varies on it's reception capabilities.

Cilnt
Very true, but only slightly. In general most of sprints phones get the same reception, but every once in awhile they come up with a phone that won't get that reception, since i use to work at sprint as a tech, the phones that mostly had reception problems were the samsungs, but that wasn't even all of them, just some of them. Basically what we expect from the diamond is at least as good as reception fromt he touch and mogul, then they can't go wrong.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond