PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The way I understand it is:

Our processor has inherant scaling, so far no one has been able to turn it off (that I know of). So what we are looking for is setting an upper limit to the processor speed. If you set the processor too low it will just fight itself trying to speed up, comversly if you lock it to any speed it will try to change it at some point and fight itself again.

What Imeers comment were before was that you should set your top speed and leave it there and that xcpuscaler would now allow the processor to scale on it's own. I hadn't tried xcpu for quite awhile and it certainly is doing a much better job than it used to on the 6700!

It seems to me that the programs scaling is giving a significant battery savings at some points, however eventually the program and the cpu end up conflicting each other still and causing a larger drain. At the same time leaving the program scaling off seems to keep the processor from dropping down as quickly as it had prior to using xcpu... Resulting in a larger hit than I would like.

I have only recently tried 3.0 and haven't even looked at 3.03 yet it could be better.

My personal choice was autostep, however it was designed by superdave for the samsung i730 and while it worked pretty sweet on the earlier roms, it produces random lockups on the current kitchen. It's concept was simple and I still think is the right way it simply sets a higher top speed and allows the processor to scale as it sees fit. If any of you programmers out there have some spare time (ha ha) pick that little ap apart make it work for the 6700 and set the top speed to 624... I realy think that would be the big winner.

Have Wifi and GPS on your phone???
Check out Navizon. It's $$$ in your pocket!
http://my.navizon.com/Webapps/UserAd..._code=5E5D5D5F
Navizon- Get paid $s to use your phones GPS & Wifi!

My Navizon Thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21590
Old 07-28-2007, 12:19 PM
N00b

waspie is a n00b
i also installed powermeter. while off power and running at 208 it was average 181. with xscaler off, 64.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
And to answer the question earlier - I have seen the processor go as low as 104 on it's own, it may go lower in sleep mode, I don't know.

Also the other aspect of Autostep was to wake the device to it's higher speed - this was the problem the i730 had - it would wake to 204 (I think) and stay there till sleep, however if it woke to 520 it would stay there. That's why the ap was written at all.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

PolloLoco is keeping up the good workPolloLoco is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by saqer
Interesting...

I tried that acbpowermeter and it reports that for every two minutes on 30% backlight and underclocked to 208 mhz I use 6 mAh whereas closing out the XCPUscalar completely I only use 3 mAH / 2 minutes.

Keeping XCPUscalar opened and on the default 412 mhz still uses 5 mAh.

It may appear that my perception of better battery life came from my lower backlight settings which I enabled at the same time I began underclocking.

But, then again that test was only for 2 minutes. Although slim, it might prove to show that over longer periods of time it will show the opposite is true, especially with backlight off or in standby mode. Which makes me ask when the phone is in standby is underclocking relevant?

Also, is there some way to disable the internal scaling mechanism or modify it?

btw it's saqer
That's what I expected. I'd like to see Shaska run the test as well to see if his 6700 or program is different than all the others I've seen metered. *cough* placebo *cough*

Yes - I realize that I could be in for a heaping serving of crow - but based on his earlier reply to me, I think the smart@$$ reply was justified.

To answer your first question - unless 3.03 effectively disables our scaling feature, there's no point to underclocking while in standby. If you don't underclock or scale down, XCPUScalar goes into hibernate mode on standby. So . . . you're not expending any more energy. SO LONG as you don't use the scaling feature in the program. You may find that you'll get better battery life than you are now - by OVERclocking so long as you don't use the scaling.

But don't let me tell you that "the world is flat" - test it with abcpowermeter and find out.

As to your second question - many programmers have tried to disable the scaling on our phones with no success, for over a year. I've traded e-mails with the creator of XCPUScalar over this issue - and I'm waiting for him to reply back about version 3.03. I'm not holding my breath to ever see this work, especially now that our phone's end of life has been reached.

Sorry I screwed up your name Saqer.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:04 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco
As to your second question - many programmers have tried to disable the scaling on our phones with no success, for over a year. I've traded e-mails with the creator of XCPUScalar over this issue - and I'm waiting for him to reply back about version 3.03. I'm not holding my breath to ever see this work, especially now that our phone's end of life has been reached.

Sorry I screwed up your name Saqer.
I had posted long, long ago about the fact that even though our units auto-scaling is hard coded, it is also set to disable in camera mode and I was able to use PHM before it was upgraded to even work on the 6700.. By using Vjays prgram.

If the makers of XCPUScalar or Pocket Hack Master really wanted to specifically disable our unit"s autoscale they could have done so with same procedure as VJays LumosII brightness program.

It activates "camera mode" to enable the extra brightness you get with it. Even so, I was able to still get lower MA usage with it by closing either overclock program and it stayed at any speed setting it was running.

So my point is, if they tried to disable our units autoscaling, the answer was there and they didnt try hard enough.

EDIT: As well as using AcbPower meter, also use "CPUID" program to see your speed settings at any given time.
You will see processor speed steady and autoscale disabled with it after closing your overclock proggy while using LumosII.

Edit2: I am even able to lower my brightness while LumosII is running, and processor speed still stays without scaling... untill unit is turned off.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

saqer is keeping up the good worksaqer is keeping up the good work
so u're saying running VJay's program simultaneously with either PHM or XCPUscalar will allow you to underscale successfully? Can't there be bad consequences running Vjays program constantly, though? You would also not be able to use your camera, correct?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

saqer is keeping up the good worksaqer is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco
It doesn't matter what the speed your processor is set at is. That does not dictate battery loss due to Over/Under Clocking.

The problem is that the two scaling programs fight each other, playing tug of war in getting the processor to run at two different speeds. We know that XCPUScalar can win the war and hold your processor down to 200mhz. The problem is that in struggling to do so - the phone ends up burning A LOT MORE battery power than it would without the XCPUScalar running. Our 6700's are unfortunately unique in that respect.

Immier, the creater of XCPUScalar has himself posted on the 6700 programs and explained that due to the tug of war, you're better off NOT using the scaling feature of XCPUScalar to underclock. He's explained that the advantage of using the program is a burst of speed when you need it - and hibernation when you dont. So . . . following HIS instructions, I have my PPC at 624 mhz all the time. But when the screen dims, XCPUScalar shuts down - so I'm not burning ANY more battery than normal.

If you're using the scaling feature with the 6700's you're doing yourself a disservice battery wise. You're probably burning more battery power underclocking with a new scaling, than I am OVERclocking with no scaling.
Immiersoft him/herself responded to my question I posted earlier this week. Apparently even attempting to underscale our devices is a redundant practice just because the internal mechanism does just that:

"If you got a builtin power manager use it instead and use XCPUScalar when you want speed and want to lock down on a specific speed. Most WM5 PDA's do not run at their rated speed and are usually in low gear most of the time because of the builtin power managers.

The PPC-6700 runs at 104MHz (idle speed) most of the time and yes it does have a builtin power manager that is very effective at managing power.

XCPUScalar has a hibernation mode feature which allows XCPUScalar to hibernate and go into low power mode and run passively until its needed again under certain conditions like the backlight dimming, talking on the phone, powering off, and other system events, etc. This mode consumes almost zero power, its like the product is not loaded or running.

So if you overclock to 520MHz or any speed constantly, the hibernation mode does kick in under above conditions transparently to give you a balance of speed and battery consumption.

The PPC-6700 seem to have 520MHz or 624MHz CPU steppings that have been underclocked by the manufacturer to 416MHz, so if you are not interested in unlocking the true speed of your PDA, then you don't need this product."
Old 07-29-2007, 12:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
so u're saying running VJay's program simultaneously with either PHM or XCPUscalar will allow you to underscale successfully?
Yes

Quote:
Can't there be bad consequences running Vjays program constantly, though?
No Ive done it many a time, it disables on shutoff or when really engaging camera wich sets back to 416Mhz.

Quote:
You would also not be able to use your camera, correct?
You can use it fine anytime it will default speed back to 416Mhz.

Nothing underclocks better than our built-in autoscaling.
By itself lowest Ma for me is 62Ma.

My Lowest Miliamp use with LumosII activated:
XCPUscalar = 131Ma
PHM =121Ma
LumosII with either set to lowest clock, then closed = 102Ma

Problem is our units jump up to 416Mhz right away on a single tap.
What underclocking can do though is set a "cielling" to limit Ma usage and it wont go as high as if it was running at 416 or 512.
But then your Ma gains are lost with constannt higher Ma idle with forced underclocking.
So thats why XCPUscalar did well to disengage and have a "passive mode" to let our own units autoscaling take over.

Edited for clarification, your testing mat differ:
My best savings were from using either overclock with Lumos(activated, then turned down brightness in settings), then closing overclock program and let Lumos hold that setting until I turn it off or it shuts off by itself which automatically shuts Lumos off and unit autoscales itself normally again. the absence of the overclock program gave me more memory and 20-30 better Ma usage.

Oh well thats all I have to say, I gave up on all this a while ago but just needed to spit out my last 2 cents again
Old 07-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Saqer, what Immiersoft (I think that's Immier) said is exactly what I've been explaining all along.

Also, no - running Vjay's program in conjunction with over/under clocking software will still burn more energy than usual. It's also not healthy for the device. You can test it in short intervals if you like.

Immier's aware of the Vjay side effect but still has not been able to effectively recreate it. In spite of the above criticism, he was as motivated as anyone because he owns (or owned) the 6700.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Come on Shaska. After telling us all that your use of XCPUScalar did provide better battery life with no placebo effect - I've been waiting for you to come back and prove it. Never mind that the creator of the program has suggested otherwise.

*COUGH* placebo *COUGH* eat crow *COUGH*

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache