Old 07-29-2007, 12:10 PM
saqer
Halfway to VIP Status

saqer is keeping up the good worksaqer is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco
It doesn't matter what the speed your processor is set at is. That does not dictate battery loss due to Over/Under Clocking.

The problem is that the two scaling programs fight each other, playing tug of war in getting the processor to run at two different speeds. We know that XCPUScalar can win the war and hold your processor down to 200mhz. The problem is that in struggling to do so - the phone ends up burning A LOT MORE battery power than it would without the XCPUScalar running. Our 6700's are unfortunately unique in that respect.

Immier, the creater of XCPUScalar has himself posted on the 6700 programs and explained that due to the tug of war, you're better off NOT using the scaling feature of XCPUScalar to underclock. He's explained that the advantage of using the program is a burst of speed when you need it - and hibernation when you dont. So . . . following HIS instructions, I have my PPC at 624 mhz all the time. But when the screen dims, XCPUScalar shuts down - so I'm not burning ANY more battery than normal.

If you're using the scaling feature with the 6700's you're doing yourself a disservice battery wise. You're probably burning more battery power underclocking with a new scaling, than I am OVERclocking with no scaling.
Immiersoft him/herself responded to my question I posted earlier this week. Apparently even attempting to underscale our devices is a redundant practice just because the internal mechanism does just that:

"If you got a builtin power manager use it instead and use XCPUScalar when you want speed and want to lock down on a specific speed. Most WM5 PDA's do not run at their rated speed and are usually in low gear most of the time because of the builtin power managers.

The PPC-6700 runs at 104MHz (idle speed) most of the time and yes it does have a builtin power manager that is very effective at managing power.

XCPUScalar has a hibernation mode feature which allows XCPUScalar to hibernate and go into low power mode and run passively until its needed again under certain conditions like the backlight dimming, talking on the phone, powering off, and other system events, etc. This mode consumes almost zero power, its like the product is not loaded or running.

So if you overclock to 520MHz or any speed constantly, the hibernation mode does kick in under above conditions transparently to give you a balance of speed and battery consumption.

The PPC-6700 seem to have 520MHz or 624MHz CPU steppings that have been underclocked by the manufacturer to 416MHz, so if you are not interested in unlocking the true speed of your PDA, then you don't need this product."