PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: Verizon

xmind2006 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuguy
As well I was trying to find the nicer midlet manager the article said is on all HTC devices, haven't figured that part out yet. I currently do not have java, that's step 1...
Step 1. Install Java Midlet Manager:
ftp://ppcgeeks:ezupload@up.ppcgeeks....1.1.7.1023.cab
Step 2. Click on the download/install link for Gmaps on the 6700's browser and say open. The Java manager should automatically open and install the application. If not then you can download the file and then open the Java Manager and choose to install from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuguy
It interesting to note the 6700 is specificly called out as a device this works with. I expect it will not unlock the inner GPS, however, my expectation is that this may bind with the 911 or 922 location data....
If you read Gmaps site, they say you will need Navizon installed if you want any "gps" functionality (if you don't have a BT GPS). Navizon still does nothing to "unlock" the 6700's GPS. It simplly collects information about the available towers and WIFI networks in the area and checks that against Navizon's database to get an approximate location. See below from Navizon's website:

Quote:
Q. How is it possible to navigate WITHOUT GPS! I mean come on now - "Software Only GPS" - who are you guys trying to kid?

A. "Ladies and gentlemen, distinguished nerds, geeks and jocks... NO kidding, NO foolin' and NO guff! --- this stuff really works!" Our developers may be revolutionaries but they're also extremely good at making things work -- and the Navizon Wireless Positioning System works incredibly well!

Since Navizon knows the EXACT geographic locations of Wireless Access Points and Cellular Communications Towers in a specified city or neighborhood it's able to use the Wireless Networking (Wi-Fi 802.11) and/or Cellular Phone capabilities (or both) that are present within a similarly equipped Pocket PC device, to accurately determine your exact Latitude and Longitude on planet Earth (so let's hope that's the planet you're on!) and then uses this positioning date to inform your Personal GPS Navigation Programs and other Location Based Software Applications on your Pocket PC.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Titan

Christopher Price is starting in the wrong direction
Essentially, to answer the main question here. No, you cannot use Mobile GMaps to get at gpsOne.

The Java Virtual Machines out there do not know how to interact with the gpsOne chip inside of the device.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint Now Network

sd4shizy is keeping up the good worksd4shizy is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to sd4shizy
it does work but the gps doesnt work and navizon is waaayy off! am i supposed to put in a ip code, phonenews thingy???

thanks in advanve
Old 05-19-2007, 10:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Titan

Christopher Price is starting in the wrong direction
It does work but the GPS doesn't work?

Uh... okay... I think that's exactly what I said. You might be able to get Mobile GMaps to execute/run on a PPC-6700, but it's simply not possible right now to get it to find a GPS signal using the built-in GPS.

If you want them to, call Microsoft and ask them to add an LBS API similar to JSR 179. Or, better, ask them to integrate J2ME into the platform so JSR 179 would be offered on the device.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Yung is a n00b
Using QPST Service Programming, I was able to access the gpsOne programming. They have the following boxes:

PDE IP Address: (blank)

PDE Port Number: (blank)

PDE Transport: (IP or DBM)

Position Calculation: (Mobile or PDE)

I'm assuming the IP address we need to use is 68.28.31.49, and the port is 5017. Does that work for you guys?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache