PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah, in windows explorer, probably the most commonly used by noobs, default behavior for drag and drop is 'move' NOT 'copy'. I have caught myself a couple times..

My default behavior is to 'right click' for my drag and drop, wich brings the menu up to 'copy'.

But I surely see how it can happen to a noob on complete accident...
Old 11-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

verizonguy is becoming a great contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by saridnour View Post
I thought it could be a quick fix to secure a branch on the ftp, say the Apache dir and still keep the sub dir structure. Then a mod/admin would have to move all files to the correct sub dir in this node. Only core files (kitchens roms, etc) would be placed here.
This also helps protect the board from bad files (illegal) hosting as well. Still keep an annonymous dir that peole can copy to for passing files or files passed to the mod for placemnt, etc and it should fit the ftp struct that is currently in place and protect what needs to be protected.... just a thought...

-saridnour

That's not the issue. The easy fix would be to have 2 usernames on the dreamhost account. One full access like the one we have now, and one that is restricted to an upload folder only. The full access id would only be given to proven contributing members/developers or moderators, and the public one would only be able to write to the upload dir. The issue as I understand it was that dreamhost either didn't allow multiple logins with specified permissions, or it was cost prohibitive.

I had offered to host the forum on my servers at home which would work well, but I wouldn't have sufficient bandwidth for the ftp too. If you think about it, even just one kitchen download with oem rar is ballpark around 100megs that gets downloaded say 10,000 times...that's 1,000 Gigs of transfer if my math is right.

Before criticizing someone, first walk a mile in his shoes...
Then when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

cjbreisch is just getting started
Well, I am certainly willing to contribute towards moving to a dedicated server. I've already contributed to a few users. Frankly (and nothing against the power users here), I'd rather contribute to the site.

I wouldn't mind if Wideawake had to go to an ad supported site either.

Perhaps this should be its own thread, since we seem to have hijacked this one.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP
Well, I looked into anonymous FTP hosting both on DreamHost and through other providers. Since we already host with DreamHost, it would make the most sense to keep the anonymous FTP there. If I am reading DreamHost's docs correctly, then adding anonymous FTP would cost $47.40 per year or $3.95 per month (the cost of having a unique IP which is required for anonymous FTP.) We could then do many things with the FTP. There could be an upload folder that anyone can add files to, but this could be upload only, so no one could take stuff out of there without a full user account. A full user could then move the approved items to a download folder. Then no one but the full user would be able to remove or change that item, but everyone could download it. Anyway, hope Mike catches this thread. I'll send him a PM with the info.

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
Old 11-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

verizonguy is becoming a great contributor
and now some dickhead has deleted the aku 3.5 1.04 & my rc1 kitchen from the Old folder of the Kitchen directory.

I'm not going to bother re-uploading them if this is going to continue.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache