Old 11-12-2007, 01:22 AM
verizonguy
Regular 'Geeker

verizonguy is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saridnour View Post
I thought it could be a quick fix to secure a branch on the ftp, say the Apache dir and still keep the sub dir structure. Then a mod/admin would have to move all files to the correct sub dir in this node. Only core files (kitchens roms, etc) would be placed here.
This also helps protect the board from bad files (illegal) hosting as well. Still keep an annonymous dir that peole can copy to for passing files or files passed to the mod for placemnt, etc and it should fit the ftp struct that is currently in place and protect what needs to be protected.... just a thought...

-saridnour

That's not the issue. The easy fix would be to have 2 usernames on the dreamhost account. One full access like the one we have now, and one that is restricted to an upload folder only. The full access id would only be given to proven contributing members/developers or moderators, and the public one would only be able to write to the upload dir. The issue as I understand it was that dreamhost either didn't allow multiple logins with specified permissions, or it was cost prohibitive.

I had offered to host the forum on my servers at home which would work well, but I wouldn't have sufficient bandwidth for the ftp too. If you think about it, even just one kitchen download with oem rar is ballpark around 100megs that gets downloaded say 10,000 times...that's 1,000 Gigs of transfer if my math is right.

Before criticizing someone, first walk a mile in his shoes...
Then when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.