PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Apache WM6 CE OS 5.2.1620 (Build 18125.0.4.2) Bugs/Patches (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7780)

the18thtee 10-12-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robtao (Post 100605)
My XV6700 (Helmi WM6 Verizonguy Devel4 ROM) has been ringing the phone slowly (on the 4th or 5th ring from the calling end!) If I turn off the device with the phone dialer on the screen, it will start ringing as soon as the second ring. Much better!
My guess is loading or waking up the Dialer is the issue?
Using BlueFrog Big Button Dialer.
Can anyone suggest a faster loading or responding Dialer, with Big buttons, and hopefully blue buttons, numbers, or theme?

This is a known issue with the phone but is usually not related to the ROM. You need to change your Slot Cycle Index from 2 to 1 or 0. Do a search for Slot Cycle Index in the Apache forum for instructions.

mbartels 10-12-2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the18thtee (Post 100640)
This is a known issue with the phone but is usually not related to the ROM. You need to change your Slot Cycle Index from 2 to 1 or 0. Do a search for Slot Cycle Index in the Apache forum for instructions.

For what it's worth, I changed my Slot Cycle Index to 0 and I'm still having the same issue. I'm hoping it's resolved down the road.

the18thtee 10-12-2007 03:34 PM

Robtao

Does this slow response also happen when you power cycle the device, i.e. when you power down the device for a while, when you press the power button does it take a little while to load the today screen?

Robtao 10-12-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the18thtee (Post 100640)

Actually very helpful. Not exactly my solution yet, but speeds things up. Here is what the search led me to:
Originally Posted by fandi1 (Quoted by setite)
This was originalyy posted by "ELKAY" over on the pdaphonehome.com forums...

VERIZON directions

1. Open up the phone app
2. dial ##778
3. hit send
4. a screen will pop up asking for a code
5. enter 000000 ( thats 6 zeros)
6. click ok
7.You will be brought into the provisioning of your phone
8.From the top left, select Modem Settings.
9.On this page, your Slot Cycle Index (SCI) Your phone should have a 1 in that spot
10. Click edit change it to 0
11. click the ok button then the X in the upper right hand corrner
12. The VX6700 will restart and its all done...

That has sped up the process.http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/images/icons/icon10.gif 2 Cases:
1. Power off with Dialer closed (off screen) now 4 rings. [2 rings now after reinstalling BlueFrog Big Button Dialer again. Maybe the reinstall fixed something??)
2. Power off with Dialer open (on screen) now 1.5 rings.
That is at least 1/2 ring faster in each case. Maybe more.

I am counting rings on another phone until I can hear and answer on my XV6700. Response to manual power up is fast. Power on when called is pretty fast. Recognizing the call, opening up the dialer, or ringing and allowing the call to be answered is slow if the dialer was OFF when the phone was powered down.

the18thtee 10-12-2007 04:18 PM

Yeah, this is an issue that is even in the stock ROM. The Slot Cycle Index helps out a lot, but is ring response time is even slow on the stock ROM (I have tested this many time on many different roms). Voice Command slows down ring response time alot as well, so if you have the incoming call announcement active I would disable it, also, today screen apps slow power up load time as well, so I keep these to a minimum, and any screen saver/power on apps (buttonlock, slide2unlock, spb mobileshell, etc.) slow down ring answer time alot because the have to load before the hard buttons are activated (i.e. answer softkey, green phone button). You have to keep in mind that this is a phone as well as a pocket pc so the phone app is going to take a little while to load, just like any other ppc app. If you find any more good tweaks to increase response time, post them for others to try.

GaMedic 10-12-2007 04:50 PM

911 fix

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightedge (Post 92721)
Rumor has it that the dialer in the following thread will fix the 911 problem:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8703

I witnessed an accident in front of my home yesterday and was unable to dial 911 from my phone. I am a paramedic so this is an important feature to me. So I downloaded this dialer and made a 911 test call and it worked.

So officially (because I made a call and sounded like an idiot saying this is a test call lol) this is a fix.

GaMedic 10-12-2007 05:05 PM

As a fix for the text sent message --VERY ANNOYING--
Open messaging. Go to Menu - Tools - Options - Select Text Messages - Untick the check mark from the request delivery notifications box. No registry tweaking necesary.
I also had an issue with slow response of keyboard. I set the word completion settings to suggest after entering 3 letters and suggest 3 words. This fixed the issue for me. I hope this helps others.

Robtao 10-12-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the18thtee (Post 100705)
Yeah, this is an issue that is even in the stock ROM. The Slot Cycle Index helps out a lot, but is ring response time is even slow on the stock ROM (I have tested this many time on many different roms). Voice Command slows down ring response time alot as well, so if you have the incoming call announcement active I would disable it, also, today screen apps slow power up load time as well, so I keep these to a minimum, and any screen saver/power on apps (buttonlock, slide2unlock, spb mobileshell, etc.) slow down ring answer time alot because the have to load before the hard buttons are activated (i.e. answer softkey, green phone button). You have to keep in mind that this is a phone as well as a pocket pc so the phone app is going to take a little while to load, just like any other ppc app. If you find any more good tweaks to increase response time, post them for others to try.

I think the dialer has something to do with it, but they may all be the same. The combo of Phone OFF, Dialer OFF is worst case response time.

Soft reset; Phone ON; Today Screen with Dialer never opened: 1.5 rings before the phone rings. (So the answer screen loads pretty quick with the phone ON.)
Phone ON: Dialer Open: 1.5 rings to start ringing.
Phone turned OFF with Dialer still on screen: 1.75 rings to power up and ring. :-) (So the Dialer being on speeds loading of the answer screen? Why? The phone is on even when the screen is off.:scratch:)
Phone turned OFF after Dialer manually closed (showing Today Screen): 1.5 rings to power up, 2.5 more rings to start ringing. Total: 4 rings to start ringing.:(
Manual (green phone button) load of dialer is less than 1 second.:scratch:So why does the dialer being off double the delay even though the dialer does not have to be on before the answer screen and ring comes up?

I am hoping this will trigger genius into action… Anybody?... or there may be dialers that work faster or don’t slow things down so much?

Mikelundi 10-12-2007 07:22 PM

Data Connection

I switched over to WM6 from Sprint's last official ROM and I gotta say...I LOVE IT! The only problem that I can really find with this ROM is that my data connection from time to time gives me problems when I'm surfing the web. Even though when I go into the Wireless Manager it says the data connection is active, I find that I'll often get an "Unable To Upload. Make Sure The Data Connection Is Active..." kind of notification. I did not let the new ROM customizations run, so I guess all my previous ROM settings are functional. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

justthinking 10-14-2007 04:43 AM

I've been using WM6 for over a week now and I've been having an issue where sometimes when someone is calling me and I press the left soft button to answer (and possibly the green phone key), it takes 3 - 5 seconds to switch to the phone dialer screen and start the actual call. A couple times this has meant that the person on the other end is already disconnected. I've used stock Sprint ROM's, and a few different WM5 kitchens and have never had this problem. I've used the WM6 for a little over a week and have had this problem probably about once per day (receiving 10 - 15 calls per day). Anyone else having this problem? Any known fixes? Thanks!