PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 02:47 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon XV 6800
Carrier: Verizon

tcolling is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CopyCounsler, which device are you testing on? A Mogul, or what?

Thanks,
- Tim
Old 01-10-2008, 03:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ppc6800 - bye bye ppc6700
Carrier: spcs

CopyCounsler is a n00b
referb'd apache w/ sprint service running latest helmi_c kitchen 12/17 or whatever

Copy

ps. still locked on 520...
Old 01-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

PolloLoco is keeping up the good workPolloLoco is keeping up the good work
I don't think anyone, outside of Raging Idiot perhaps, is suggesting that XCPUScalar is a sugar pill. That's easily proven through benchmarks - and has been done consistently. I do, however, believe the HTC performance OEM is a sugar pill. I've run it without XCPUScalar active - and got the same results in benchmarks.

I was able to uninstall the HTC performance OEM and go back to XCPUScalar successfully. I was not locked into one speed. I think I'll stick to NOT using both at the same time, however.

Have you tried to "remove" the HTC performance OEM once you uncheck the "overclocking"? Also - are you sure you haven't installed a trial version of XCPUScalar? The trial version wouldn't allow dynamic scaling, but forced you to use a set clockspeed.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

CopyCounsler is a n00b
PolloLoco - thanks for the advise. I have unchecked and removed the program but xCPU is still locked into whatever mode the slider reads whether or not the auto-adjust for performance is checked. I spent the 19 bux a while back and have the latest v3 build.. got it originally just for the simple fact of how much longer my battery lasted.

just now I played with it some more (rebooting, uninstalling xCPU etc) and I'm still locked @ the slider readout. time to reflash.. (a rarity..)

Copy
Old 01-10-2008, 05:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

CopyCounsler is a n00b
oh and just so i'm clear about xCPU slider readout -- when I check the auto-adjust checkbox, whatever the last setting on the slider is what the cpu locks to - and it grays it out when I check the box...

just for the 'skeptics' out there... there's one in every crowd

Copy
Old 01-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Some off topic information from a "skeptic". You mentioned buying XCPUScalar for the improved battery life - but XCPUScalar will NOT improve your battery life over stock.

This has been rehashed many times, but XCPUScalar can't undo our phone's autoscaling ability. This problem is unique to the 6700. If you try to do so, the two autoscaling programs conflict - and you end up burning more power than if you had locked the phone at a higher speed. This has been confirmed with abcpowermeter, and by speaking to the creator himself.

If you really don't believe that, I can search up the threads where I recently won that argument here - and also some posts on the creator's website.

I still use XCPUScalar because unlike PHM, when the phone's not actively being used - you can set it to hibernate and let the phone's scaling take over. But when I'm using it, the phone's running at 624 100% of the time.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work
hey copy- since when is being skeptical such a bad thing.

Hopefully there's more than just "one in every crowd".

I did very strict tests with these overclockers...my results were different than yours, perhaps because I ran the navigation testing from storage card or maybe setup differences- I don't know.

I have since upgraded phones so this no longer applies to me.
Because it didn't speed up my slowest apps it was worthless to me anyway.

I have read plenty about the xcpuscaler conflicting with the native scaling, and draining the battery as well.

As for power consumption you're better off buying a cheap battery from ebay.

Last edited by Raging Idiot; 01-10-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible
Carrier: Verizon-Alltel

digi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyCounsler View Post
PolloLoco - thanks for the advise. I have unchecked and removed the program but xCPU is still locked into whatever mode the slider reads whether or not the auto-adjust for performance is checked. I spent the 19 bux a while back and have the latest v3 build.. got it originally just for the simple fact of how much longer my battery lasted.

just now I played with it some more (rebooting, uninstalling xCPU etc) and I'm still locked @ the slider readout. time to reflash.. (a rarity..)

Copy

Was your phone plugged in and charging when it was "stuck" on a clock? When my phone is charging XCPU will not scale my clockspeed automatically, only when running on battery power.

Alltel / Verizon
Old 01-11-2008, 12:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

CopyCounsler is a n00b
I love all the skeptics - it makes for good conversation.

When it was locked, yes it was plugged in. I noticed last night that it was in 208 for a brief moment out of "sleep" like it usually was and then it shot right back up to 520.

And I swear that I have a bit longer battery life, but maybe that's the woll over my eyes some more. So what you are saying is that because of the processors own autoscaling and the preventing ability of shutting that down that xCPU in autoscale actually draws the SAME as when used in a locked level? Wow. I'm all over the place with this stuff. Whats the point of autoscaling it down if the battery draw is the same overall?

Also, in regards to my testing with iGuidance: I have iGuidance on the main and the maps on the storage. I have a regular ol' micro 2gb to minisd card from pny.

I am still on board with having xCPU with autoscale since I "feel" it is doing what I *WISH* and *DREAM* that it is doing...

Copy
Old 01-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyCounsler View Post
I love all the skeptics - it makes for good conversation.

When it was locked, yes it was plugged in. I noticed last night that it was in 208 for a brief moment out of "sleep" like it usually was and then it shot right back up to 520.

And I swear that I have a bit longer battery life, but maybe that's the woll over my eyes some more. So what you are saying is that because of the processors own autoscaling and the preventing ability of shutting that down that xCPU in autoscale actually draws the SAME as when used in a locked level? Wow. I'm all over the place with this stuff. Whats the point of autoscaling it down if the battery draw is the same overall?

Also, in regards to my testing with iGuidance: I have iGuidance on the main and the maps on the storage. I have a regular ol' micro 2gb to minisd card from pny.

I am still on board with having xCPU with autoscale since I "feel" it is doing what I *WISH* and *DREAM* that it is doing...

Copy
Copy - actually, when you autoscale, you're using up MORE battery than usual. You can confirm that by using a battery meter. The creator of the program, Anton, owns the 6700 and is aware of the problem. The "point" is that with most phones, XCPU is able to turn off the phone's autoscaling. With the 6700 - it can't. So the two autoscaling programs battle it out, and burn out battery life in the process. I seriously hate to break it to you, but you're having kind of a placebo effect. A while back I got into a big flame war with a guy that refused to believe what I told him. Others agreed with him, until they started testing as well. He was rude, so I clowned him - and I haven't seen him on this forum since.

Raging Idiot, your post about still believing that XCPUScalar is a sugar pill makes no sense whatsoever. The fact that your slowest running programs don't get sped up, can have little bearing on the phone's clock speed. Those programs can be dependent on RAM, or in the case of GPS - input from outside hardware. XCPUScalar has definite, measurable improvements on software like TCPMP and video games for example. TCPMP allows for videos to play smoother at full resolution, with higher framerates. There's a benchmarking program built in to confirm - and I've already posted my results on the overclocking thread. Emulators run great at full speed, without dropping frames - where in some cases they're unplayable (Sega Genesis, GBA). The fact that your problem programs didn't speed up has nothing to do with XCPUScalar doing what it's supposed to do - increasing the clock speed of the processor.

Last edited by PolloLoco; 01-11-2008 at 12:53 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development