PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Current devices will not be upgradable to WP8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
You can get a better phone if you want, you just have to pay full retail for it. Apparently lots of people did this to go from the iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S for just one new feature. Also the 7.8 update hasn't been revealed fully, it may have more hardware independent features from WP8. It will also continue to be supported with apps and updates when appropriate. WP9 isn't for another 3 years, we'll worry about that when we get there. It'll be the same kernel so it shouldn't be an issue, all phones are guaranteed at least 18 months worth of updates from the time it's released. Has google ever put together a policy like that? There are still tons of android phones that haven't even gotten gingerbread and quite a few that won't even get ICS.

Yeah but you can easily flash any firmware version you want on Android phones, whereas you can't do that on a WP7 phone. MS has already said 7.8 is basically just a gui update, I don't see any core features.

Google doesn't need a cheap promise like that because they are not the only company who releases Android, they have no control over what HTC or Sammy does with the source code. WP7 and 8 are MS only, the manufacturers do not write their own code like with Android. The awesome thing about Android is that if you read enough you can make your phone do whatever the hell you want it to. I like WP7 and 8 UI, I really do, but until MS puts out something stable with real app support that doesn't change every 2 or 3 years then I just feel bad for people who buy WP7 phones.

And I'm not an MS hater, I actually like Windows 7 a lot, and I have my complaints about Android and iOS, but as a consumer I can't trust those guys with their ongoing beta test.

Let me get back to you in 5 years when they have a decent product.
True but what if you don't want to waste countless hours online trying to get the $200 phone you just bought to work the way it's supposed to? What if all you want is to unbox your phone and that's it? Gingerbread had some critical security changes and not many phones got it. As for WP8 they got it right this time, the reason why WM was so buggy was because the CE kernel didn't really support all the features WM has. It also didn't support advanced hardware (Android barely does as well). Reason why WP7 was on the CE kernel was because the RT (based on NT) kernel wasn't ready yet. So it was released so they can get mindshare and a presence in the mobile market and try to clear the bad rep they accumulated from WM6.5. Good news tho is that the NT kernel does support high end hardware(better than Android). This will allow for even better features to be added to WP8 and beyond. Also since WP8 and W8 share the same kernel they can run the same apps as long as the proper optimizations are done, imagine just downloading /buying one app and it work on all of your devices.

Last edited by eric12341; 06-25-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 2032/6700/6800/Arrive/Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I just hope Google doesn't pull this crap with android! So far, being able to customize my Epic with a custom ROM is worth it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 on the PPCGeeks App
Old 06-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 View Post
I just hope Google doesn't pull this crap with android! So far, being able to customize my Epic with a custom ROM is worth it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 on the PPCGeeks App
@TexasAggie97

They do it all the time, how many phones got ICS,gingerbread or even froyo? How many are going to get jellybean or lemon?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
True but what if you don't want to waste countless hours online trying to get the $200 phone you just bought to work the way it's supposed to? What if all you want is to unbox your phone and that's it? Gingerbread had some critical security changes and not many phones got it. As for WP8 they got it right this time, the reason why WM was so buggy was because the CE kernel didn't really support all the features WM has. It also didn't support advanced hardware (Android barely does as well). Reason why WP7 was on the CE kernel was because the RT (based on NT) kernel wasn't ready yet. So it was released so they can get mindshare and a presence in the mobile market and try to clear the bad rep they accumulated from WM6.5. Good news tho is that the NT kernel does support high end hardware(better than Android). This will allow for even better features to be added to WP8 and beyond. Also since WP8 and W8 share the same kernel they can run the same apps as long as the proper optimizations are done, imagine just downloading /buying one app and it work on all of your devices.
Out of the box a lot of Android phones are fine. You are comaring an entire ecosystem with code written by dozens of companies to one OS made by only ONE company, it is totally different.

If each OEM wrote their own WP7/8 code like with Android, they would botch it up a thousand times worse.

Oh and WP8 and W8 will not run the same apps, where did you get that from? They are going to be built completely separately unless they have an x86 version of WP8 or an ARM version of W8 which I haven't heard of.

Android will always have freedom and customizations over the other 2 operating systems. WP8 has slick UI animations and live tiles, but that shit gets old man. When will they actually have enough apps to rival the other 2 big operating systems?

Yeah you do have to do a bit more tweaking and we all know that All the different OS versions and stuff was a problem with Android, but 2.3 on Android is still better than WP7.5. And there's not room to talk when they are ditching an entire line of phones as obsolete.

Quote:
@TexasAggie97

They do it all the time, how many phones got ICS,gingerbread or even froyo? How many are going to get jellybean or lemon?
Well, they did not ditch an ENTIRE line of phones, or release phones barely months before announcing they will not be updated no matter what. It's not the same thing.

Apps made for "ICS" 99% of the time work for GB or even Froyo, but WP8 apps will not work on WP7 phones. It's not even close to the same thing. You're looking at an open-source eco-system where each OEM has to write their own code and updates and saying "look, they have some problems with updates" and then we see one OS made by One company for all phones and they do the same thing on purpose!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Out of the box a lot of Android phones are fine. You are comaring an entire ecosystem with code written by dozens of companies to one OS made by only ONE company, it is totally different.

If each OEM wrote their own WP7/8 code like with Android, they would botch it up a thousand times worse.

Oh and WP8 and W8 will not run the same apps, where did you get that from? They are going to be built completely separately unless they have an x86 version of WP8 or an ARM version of W8 which I haven't heard of.

Android will always have freedom and customizations over the other 2 operating systems. WP8 has slick UI animations and live tiles, but that shit gets old man. When will they actually have enough apps to rival the other 2 big operating systems?

Yeah you do have to do a bit more tweaking and we all know that All the different OS versions and stuff was a problem with Android, but 2.3 on Android is still better than WP7.5. And there's not room to talk when they are ditching an entire line of phones as obsolete.

Well, they did not ditch an ENTIRE line of phones, or release phones barely months before announcing they will not be updated no matter what. It's not the same thing.

Apps made for "ICS" 99% of the time work for GB or even Froyo, but WP8 apps will not work on WP7 phones. It's not even close to the same thing. You're looking at an open-source eco-system where each OEM has to write their own code and updates and saying "look, they have some problems with updates" and then we see one OS made by One company for all phones and they do the same thing on purpose!
Both WP8 and W8 are using the NT kernel so apps written for either will work for either as long as the proper tweaks are made, WP7/8 will also run the same apps unless native code is used or if they require WP8 hardware. That's not due to happen for about 2 years from now. These are talked about on WPCentral all the time once you filter out all the whiners there.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Sorry but, I get a trip on this discussion.

1. When Windows Phone 8 is released, Windows Phone 7.5 devices will NOT stop working, infact it will get some minor updates to have the updated interface.
2. All current apps will work with 7.5 and NEW apps will too for a long while. A programmer that DOES NOT need to use Native WP8 code would be dumb no to, more 7.5 devices=higher sales

Android does not do this ???? I can find, RIGHT NOW, Android 2.3 devices for sale with a 2 year contract. They will not get ANY updates to newer versions. At least Microsoft will give EVERY current user a 7.8 upgrade that includes a whole new start menu (new feature, not just bug fixes).

Anyone who reads a site like this or XDA would be in the almost geek level and would care about this. 95% of the people who pick up a phone pick it up because they like it, NOT because it will be ugpraded 6 months from now and they have never heard of XDA or WPCentral (I dont put this site as It's not a WP7 hub or anything)

I guess part of me says that IF I just got a Luima 900 and I was 31 days out, I would be a little disapointed but, I am a geek when it comes to that. Windows Phone 7 is a great OS. Nothing is going to change that.

If you really want the top of the top, with Windows Phone 8 requring Dual Core CPUs with all the extra physical and software upgrades, you need to upgrade your phone. Windows Phone 7 is about 2 years old now (fall time would be 2 years from release, right in line with their 18 month upgrade) and they need to compete.

Yes, My Trophy will not support it and yes, I am a little dispointed but, I do look forward to a new phone. I really look forward to Windows Phone 8...

Come on Verizon !!!!!

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:41 PM

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
They already stated wp8 apps will not be backwards compatible unless I missed something?

I'll wait till wp9 because maybe then they'll have their shit enough together to put out a product worth buying.

And android 2.3 still has more apps and done development than wp7 or wp8 probably will.

I get that some of you are diehard MS fans, but for me those phones (which i have used a lot) get so boring and useless so fast, and every time I pick one up I hope my mind will be changed, but I always sell it. WP8 ha better be way better of they want people to actually buy those phone and get more than 2% market share or wherever they're at now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Banned User

Quote:
They already stated wp8 apps will not be backwards compatible unless I missed something?

I'll wait till wp9 because maybe then they'll have their shit enough together to put out a product worth buying.

And android 2.3 still has more apps and done development than wp7 or wp8 probably will.

I get that some of you are diehard MS fans, but for me those phones (which i have used a lot) get so boring and useless so fast, and every time I pick one up I hope my mind will be changed, but I always sell it. WP8 ha better be way better of they want people to actually buy those phone and get more than 2% market share or wherever they're at now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WP8 apps will be backwards compatible unless they use native code which won't be for another 18 to 24 months. You say WP is boring and useless yet you're using an iPhone? Interesting.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
WP8 apps will be backwards compatible unless they use native code which won't be for another 18 to 24 months. You say WP is boring and useless yet you're using an iPhone? Interesting.
It's my backup phone. I keep a piece of crap 3GS sitting around for when I am between phones. I sold my Note and I am buying a Galaxy Nexus again today because I missed it, so in between I use my crappy 3GS (which btw is getting an iOS 6 update 3 years after it came out, so it's not worthless 3 6 months after it comes out)

lol at this:

"Microsoft’s senior marketing manager for Windows Phone, Greg Sullivan, says that it's not impossible to port WP8 on older devices, but the cost of doing that would be very high and the benefit very little - WP8 enables multi-core support, higher resolution screens, NFC, microSD card support and so on, none of which will make a difference on the legacy hardware."

from here.

It's just a different of preference. You seem to get really defensive and emotional over anything bad said about WP7/8 and you won't even admit that iOS and Android do have SOME benefits over it.

I will admit the unified ecosystem is pretty cool (even though I personally don't like metro on a PC) and that the overall UI is really smooth and cool, and even that for the hardware, the OS handled very well with lesser hardware than Android for instance.

But where it counts Android is just for me especially over WP7 and WP8 because I am not an idiot and I can actually read and follow directions on how to improve my device. My Galaxy Nexus I'm getting back today on AOKP in my opinion has no equal as far as phones go, I will be putting Jellybean on it so I can't wait.

But my on topic point is that even that quote above shows that MS could have ported WP8 to phones like the Lumia and Focus s, but it would "cost too much" shows how much they really CARE about customers and not money, right?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Banned User

Quote:
It's my backup phone. I keep a piece of crap 3GS sitting around for when I am between phones. I sold my Note and I am buying a Galaxy Nexus again today because I missed it, so in between I use my crappy 3GS (which btw is getting an iOS 6 update 3 years after it came out, so it's not worthless 3 6 months after it comes out)

lol at this:

"Microsoft’s senior marketing manager for Windows Phone, Greg Sullivan, says that it's not impossible to port WP8 on older devices, but the cost of doing that would be very high and the benefit very little - WP8 enables multi-core support, higher resolution screens, NFC, microSD card support and so on, none of which will make a difference on the legacy hardware."

from here.

It's just a different of preference. You seem to get really defensive and emotional over anything bad said about WP7/8 and you won't even admit that iOS and Android do have SOME benefits over it.

I will admit the unified ecosystem is pretty cool (even though I personally don't like metro on a PC) and that the overall UI is really smooth and cool, and even that for the hardware, the OS handled very well with lesser hardware than Android for instance.

But where it counts Android is just for me especially over WP7 and WP8 because I am not an idiot and I can actually read and follow directions on how to improve my device. My Galaxy Nexus I'm getting back today on AOKP in my opinion has no equal as far as phones go, I will be putting Jellybean on it so I can't wait.

But my on topic point is that even that quote above shows that MS could have ported WP8 to phones like the Lumia and Focus s, but it would "cost too much" shows how much they really CARE about customers and not money, right?
I realize that all OSes have their pros and cons, they all work to achieve a goal and have different ways of doing so. All companies want to make money so it's understandable at the end of the day. No company cares about money or customers any more or less than the other.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions