PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 06:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
Current devices will not be upgradable to WP8.

You will get a update to 7.8 that will give you the tile interface like WP8 has but, due to the MAJOR changes in Windows Phone 8 current devices could not handle it. The only changes in the 7.8 update is the updated tiles, nothing else.

Yes, WP8 is going dual core !

Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7.8 update for current hardware | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

It's a good and bad thing. If you were an early adopter(GSM models on release), your 2 year should be up in fall (on release time). If your with Sprint or Verizon, well, late spring/early summer 2013 for(if you got it on release) your 2 year to be up.

If you like WP7, read up on WP8, with true hardware access, direct C/C++ support, it's going to be an awsome gaming machine. Everything WP7 should of been.

I did watch the 2 and 1/2 hour Windows Phone 8 press statement today... It's inpressive. Not sold on the new tile layout but, I think it will grow on me.

If you just got a new 2nd gen unit(lumia 900/Titan 2), I'd be a little upset too....

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: Current devices will not be upgradable to WP8.

7.8 hasn't really been fully detailed yet, it is still possible that it'll receive all the non hardware dependent features that are in WP8. Either way though I was planning to get a WP8 anyway so this news doesn't affect me, just tired of all the complaints and "I'm going iPhone or Droid" comments.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Threadstarter

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
7.8 hasn't really been fully detailed yet, it is still possible that it'll receive all the non hardware dependent features that are in WP8. Either way though I was planning to get a WP8 anyway so this news doesn't affect me, just tired of all the complaints and "I'm going iPhone or Droid" comments.
It's been publicly stated that 7.8 will only offer the GUI changes, nothing in the subsystem. Watch the show, the 2 and 1/2 hour show, they clearly say, that the only features 7.5 users will get is the new start menu.

Same here for grabbing a WP8 device, depending on what Verizon carries. I got my Trophy with out a contract so I still have my New Every 2 credit sitting with Verizon ($100 of a new phone).

Did you watch the whole thing today ? I was pretty blown away.

No question, I will be buying one. I picked up WP7 knowing that they will have to do a major upgrade to this to complete with other products out there. I love my WP7 device and after owning it for a while, they made it a ton better (mango) and still planning a big upgrade.

The only people who should be bitching is the people who just signed a 2 year for a device.

I just hope Verizon gets a few models to chose from...

Last edited by DavidinCT; 06-20-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Existing wp7 devices stay on win ce core. New wp8 devices get the common NT core. Big big difference. Basically wp8 is windows RT plus voice. The bridge devices get a token GUI update which is better than nothing (wp7.5 is a pretty decent phone experience) and the no upgrade path thing has to be the worst kept secret ever. Wow. I posted that from my titan.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
Old 06-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

I feel bad for all those suckers who subsidized a WP7 phone recently (Lumia 900 etc...)
Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
I feel bad for all those suckers who subsidized a WP7 phone recently (Lumia 900 etc...)
Those folks that recently bought a Lumia 900 just got kicked in the nuts.

Last edited by demonlordoftheround; 06-21-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround View Post
Those folks that recently bought a Lumia 900 just got kicked on the nuts.

yeah or a Titan2 or a Focus S :S
Old 06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

deadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deadwrong03 Send a message via MSN to deadwrong03 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwrong03 Send a message via Skype™ to deadwrong03
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; mwp6985))

I was already planning on paying full retail anyway because I have to pay full retail for Verizon in order to keep my unlimited data so hopefully sell my trophy for 100 or 200 and put the rest with it for a new wp8

or hopefully the old insurance replacement trick works and u get ur phone replaced with a wp8
Old 06-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
Well alot of them got it for free or for a steal so not a big deal as actually paying for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround View Post
Those folks that recently bought a Lumia 900 just got kicked in the nuts.
Not really,if it matters to people and if they really want something they will pay for it. Examples are the millions who upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S for one new feature or the lot of us on here who upgraded to the ELTE from the 3VO that was released just last year.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
Well alot of them got it for free or for a steal so not a big deal as actually paying for it.
No one got a Lumia for free bro, it finally came down to $100 right now.

Nokia Lumia 900 - White cell phone from AT&T

AND they got stuck in a 2 year agreement so they can't get an SGS3 or iPhone 5 upgraded either. It was a total waste of upgrade and $200 or $100 for a device that is now obsolete. Shit, even the 3GS (a 3 year old device) is getting an iOS6 update!

I think MS really should have said something sooner instead of royally screwing over anyone with a WP7 device.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions