PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 01:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

afolayan702 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Nokia says NO to google ! And says YES to Windows phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
its not their fault they used bare minimum..M$ did not approve any other processor other then the 1st gen snapdragon yet...all thigns ha ve to be preapproved by M$...
Very true, things do have to be ok'd by Microsoft. Still(respectfully) I don't feel it should be an excuse for the lack of wow factor that the first generation Windows Phones had. I'm sure we can find several posts from when they announced the handsets that they were underwhelming and lacked specs that techs drool over ex: front facing camera, LTE or WiMax, Tegra 2, HDMI outputs.

I personally don't need it, its a gimmick until everyone else has it- But with smartphones that came out last year setting a new bar such as the Evo, or IO4, Droid X. We believed that these OEMs would show the same support with Windows Phone. Some of us wonder which of these handsets were destined for mid-range Android phones until Microsoft sold them on the idea of WP.
Still to see OEM like LG complaining of lack of sucess with selling the Quantum I must say "make a product worth spending money on then, don't half-ass a first gen device, you are only as good as your last product."
Yes the devices out now are good, but that is due to the OS being stable that a person can forgive lack of specs. Second versions need to bring heat would you not agree?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afolayan702 View Post
Very true, things do have to be ok'd by Microsoft. Still(respectfully) I don't feel it should be an excuse for the lack of wow factor that the first generation Windows Phones had. I'm sure we can find several posts from when they announced the handsets that they were underwhelming and lacked specs that techs drool over ex: front facing camera, LTE or WiMax, Tegra 2, HDMI outputs.

I personally don't need it, its a gimmick until everyone else has it- But with smartphones that came out last year setting a new bar such as the Evo, or IO4, Droid X. We believed that these OEMs would show the same support with Windows Phone. Some of us wonder which of these handsets were destined for mid-range Android phones until Microsoft sold them on the idea of WP.
Still to see OEM like LG complaining of lack of sucess with selling the Quantum I must say "make a product worth spending money on then, don't half-ass a first gen device, you are only as good as your last product."
Yes the devices out now are good, but that is due to the OS being stable that a person can forgive lack of specs. Second versions need to bring heat
would you not agree?
I also think they messed up on the 1gen phones..but I think its M$ fault on that..they should have been prepared for the upcomming market and set a more aggressive minimum..I mean if your limited to what you can do its kinda hard to distinguish yourself..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 02-12-2011, 01:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
I also think they messed up on the 1gen phones..but I think its M$ fault on that..they should have been prepared for the upcomming market and set a more aggressive minimum..I mean if your limited to what you can do its kinda hard to distinguish yourself..
Yes! they did say they rushed this out so I see that. But if its they are in for the "long haul," they needed to be very aggressive. Obviously they are showing it with the partnership with Nokia, which also put them back in media spotlight they sorely needed after a quiet CES, and ride the momentum into WMC next week.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:57 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Yes! they did say they rushed this out so I see that. But if its they are in for the "long haul," they needed to be very aggressive. Obviously they are showing it with the partnership with Nokia, which also put them back in media spotlight they sorely needed after a quiet CES, and ride the momentum into WMC next week.
I understand, but in the long haul they also kinda messed up..by setting that as the minimum means that all apps have to comply to that minimum for at least a year..this means while other platforms move on to dual cores and higher specs..WP7 will be plagued by that minimum..alternatively they can aggressively raise that minimum but it will piss off the first adopters..
Old 02-12-2011, 02:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
I understand, but in the long haul they also kinda messed up..by setting that as the minimum means that all apps have to comply to that minimum for at least a year..this means while other platforms move on to dual cores and higher specs..WP7 will be plagued by that minimum..alternatively they can aggressively raise that minimum but it will piss off the first adopters..
But the update that is "coming" is suppose to address performance issues, load speeds etc. "Mango" is the update that could tie together the apps etc(I am just guessing, but would have to assume that a Billion dollar company would be so foolish not to think of this already.)
As far as early adopters, what else can you say? I mean say that happens everywhere, yeah you don't want to piss people off, but at the same time its the timing: did a person need a phone/upgrade time/replacement/or wants what is hot/and ETF. If the OS is smooth and some fixes with early adopters are met with updates, buyers remorse will not be the end. But it is the price to have whats "new," in any sphere- cars, appliances, computers, etc.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:48 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
But the update that is "coming" is suppose to address performance issues, load speeds etc. "Mango" is the update that could tie together the apps etc(I am just guessing, but would have to assume that a Billion dollar company would be so foolish not to think of this already.)
As far as early adopters, what else can you say? I mean say that happens everywhere, yeah you don't want to piss people off, but at the same time its the timing: did a person need a phone/upgrade time/replacement/or wants what is hot/and ETF. If the OS is smooth and some fixes with early adopters are met with updates, buyers remorse will not be the end. But it is the price to have whats "new," in any sphere- cars, appliances, computers, etc.
Yeah, I understand that Mango will offer better hardware..but M$ has been making fun of Android fragmentation for quite a while now..if they quickly raise the minimum they will be accused of it..and ticking off early adopters on a new platform isn't good for M$, neither is keeping that minimum doing them any good...they are going to have to choose one or the other and it will end up hurting them either way :/

I mean the HD2 which came out in 2009 already had a 1st gen snapdragon..its weird that they haven't thought a year later the specs would obviously not be enough :/
Old 02-12-2011, 03:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I understand that Mango will offer better hardware..but M$ has been making fun of Android fragmentation for quite a while now..if they quickly raise the minimum they will be accused of it..and ticking off early adopters on a new platform isn't good for M$, neither is keeping that minimum doing them any good...they are going to have to choose one or the other and it will end up hurting them either way :/

I mean the HD2 which came out in 2009 already had a 1st gen snapdragon..its weird that they haven't thought a year later the specs would obviously not be enough :/
True, there will be growing pains, the best will learn quickly and adapt. The obvious solution will be what is valuable in long run. I don't believe people will be to upset beyond the hardcore platform supporters. Specs are needed for OS's that do not run smooth by themselves.
YouTube - Motorola Atrix Vs. Samsung Focus.3g2

User experience is Windows Phone 7's market and there are plenty of people willing to overlook some of the shortcomings in the beginning for a stable OS they can use and understand.
Samsung S series updates is the example I can think of with lack of updates/carrier witholdings etc.
The thing I take away is that we as consumers win and our opinions matter because there are different Os's to chose from. Different plateforms win- to keep pushing R&D to give us unique handsets within our price range.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:02 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
True, there will be growing pains, the best will learn quickly and adapt. The obvious solution will be what is valuable in long run. I don't believe people will be to upset beyond the hardcore platform supporters. Specs are needed for OS's that do not run smooth by themselves.
YouTube - Motorola Atrix Vs. Samsung Focus.3g2
On that clip he was comparing to an Atrix that was a demo model in CES so there is no indications if it was final build or not..

Also the way he was doing it was a bit wrong..he was keeping it at the edge causing it to swap vertically and horizontally..aka it had to re-render the pic 2x while on the WP7 device it rendered the pics all horizontally..

But of course I expect the WP7 one to be faster as it has hardware acceleration..while Android does allow hardware acceleration in apps, full platform acceleration will be available with honeycomb...

Quote:
User experience is Windows Phone 7's market and there are plenty of people willing to overlook some of the shortcomings in the beginning for a stable OS they can use and understand.
Samsung S series updates is the example I can think of with lack of updates/carrier witholdings etc.
The thing I take away is that we as consumers win and our opinions matter because there are different Os's to chose from. Different plateforms win- to keep pushing R&D to give us unique handsets within our price range.
Thats actually another thing...carriers can still withhold updates with WP7 if they choose to :/
Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; HD7))

Carriers can only block one update per year, wp7 won't be like android with everyone running different versions at once .
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Its safe to say everyone knows the only reason this happened is because Elop just left Microsoft and tookover Nokia in September. Its safe to say most Nokia employees and shareholders realize how stupid of a decision this was.

1,000 Nokia employees walk out after Microsoft deal, stock drops 14%

SMH Idiots
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions