PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
Nokia says NO to google ! And says YES to Windows phone

I didn't see this anywhere but, I think it's pretty big news that Nokia will be a Windows Phone 7 OEM and NOT android.

A quote from their statement.

Nokia CEO Stephen Elop has confirmed that the company was in discussion with Google over the possibility of using Android on its smartphones, but concerns over there being sufficient scope to build a unique identity in the Android device ecosystem instead led them to Microsoft’s door. Elop suggested that there were “too many players” in Android, and that Nokia’s concern was that it “couldn’t differentiate products.”

“Too many players” in Android led Nokia to Windows Phone - SlashGear

GO Windows phone !!!

Now if I could just get a CDMA one, life would be great !

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia

aximtreo is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Nokia says NO to google ! And says YES to Windows phone

I'm curious as to how Nokia will be accepted in the US market. I presently use AT&T and they only carry a couple of dumb phones from Nokia; no SmartPhones that I could see. I'm glad to see WP7 get the boost in acceptability but I wonder about Nokia.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work

Nokia had no choice but to make some radical decisions and moves. They are a once dominant company who's Symbian OS was the major player not all that long ago. Their market share has been dropping faster than a brick off the Empire State building. The choice of both Microsoft and Nokia to team up does not come from any position of strength at all. Its pretty much an admission of incredible weakness and a banding together in hopes of surviving for both.

Whilel I left WinMO during the 6.5 days and before Windows Phone 7, after after using WinPhone 7 I wasn't enticed in any way to return back to MS. I tried an iphone for awhile and it was a nice phone but it sure wasn't for me. Then I moved on to Android, and after some "getting used to" time I've pretty much adopted that as my OS of choice right now.

For the future I will move wherever I want to as far as an OS goes but until MS takes WinPhone 7 to a whole new level it won't be in contention again and unless Apple gets lead out of their a$$ in terms of such a locked down OS I won't even look there again.

R
Old 02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

I think this is awesome, to get a mobile giant like nokia on board, this will only enhance WP7s position in the playing field and they really can put their own spin on the phone with a custom Hub, custom Apps, and when the Mango update comes out WP7 will be a real contender.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

notinkeys is a n00b

Now I know I can take Nokia off my list of vendors I would consider. Smart move for them to go with 7, though.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:57 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Threadstarter

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
I think this is awesome, to get a mobile giant like nokia on board, this will only enhance WP7s position in the playing field and they really can put their own spin on the phone with a custom Hub, custom Apps, and when the Mango update comes out WP7 will be a real contender.
Exactly what I was thinking. Nokia has been big into the Symbian (big in the corporate world but, not at a consumer level) for many years now. The have always made a great product from what I have seen.

It's going to be really good to see what they come up with. I would assume as a newbie back into the game (a newbie in the multimedia smartphone market), they need to step their game up and the first releases might be very impressive.

I guess we'll have to wait till 2012 tho but, you never know what pops up later this year.

It's another step towards Microsoft getting back into the game and possably getting a hold on the market, at least a little bit.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:06 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aximtreo View Post
I presently use AT&T and they only carry a couple of dumb phones from Nokia; no SmartPhones that I could see. .
you can buy an E7 right now and use it on AT&T.... when it comes to GSM devices, its a whole different ball game then cdma... alot of European Handsets support AT&T and Tmo's US band.... you have to look into the specs to find out, but its not hard... you probably have Alot more options on a US GSM carrier than you realize
Old 02-11-2011, 06:16 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I personally think this is sad news..I REALLY wanted MeeGO to work out...I like Android yes..but I wanted options in the open source market and I was hoping MeeGo was it...I guess now I have no choice but only choosing Android :/

I really find this quote ironic though:

"Elop suggested that there were "too many players" in Android, and that Nokia’s concern was that it “couldn’t differentiate products."

Overall I think this is a big win for M$, but a big lose to Nokia...Nokia has been a really big supporter of Open Source...even as far as allowing dual boot phones..(which is not common for big manufacturers)..to switch to a close platform may cost Nokia a lot of their base..

I really hope that in the end of the day they still Decide to go with MeeGo!

Also I wonder how other WP7 partners are going to react to this..I mean Nokia is going to get a competitive advantage on them..all hardware must be approved by M$ first..which gives Nokia an edge over all other manufacturers in my view :/

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 02-11-2011, 10:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

afolayan702 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Also I wonder how other WP7 partners are going to react to this..I mean Nokia is going to get a competitive advantage on them..all hardware must be approved by M$ first..which gives Nokia an edge over all other manufacturers in my view :/
If HTC, Samsung, Dell want to get chippy with having Nokia onboard- tough $*#%. IMO they used lower end device specs(just bare minimum specs besides what Microsoft required) and still managed to sell some. I know I would love to own one on my carrier either way, but the "complete finish" on the available handsets leaves something to be desired, some might say it would have been great specs if released in 2009.

Nokia is welcomed. They clearly need to come hard with Windows Phone and will not slack on making sure that they offer a highend Windows Phone handset like this for example:
Exclusive: Nokia's Windows Phone 7 concept revealed! -- Engadget

A concept yes, but doesnt't look like an Android cousin such as HD7. Rush24 of wmpoweruser(and was a guest on PPCGeeks Podcast 2.3.11) highlighted what Nokia will bring not only to Microsoft but all the other Window Phone OEMs:
Thoughts on the Nokia-Microsoft Alliance

Obviously it will take time: 2012 before we can hold a handset, but if it pushes other OEMs to step their game up, or get the heck out the way.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:52 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afolayan702 View Post
If HTC, Samsung, Dell want to get chippy with having Nokia onboard- tough $*#%. IMO they used lower end device specs(just bare minimum specs besides what Microsoft required) and still managed to sell some. I know I would love to own one on my carrier either way, but the "complete finish" on the available handsets leaves something to be desired, some might say it would have been great specs if released in 2009.

Nokia is welcomed. They clearly need to come hard with Windows Phone and will not slack on making sure that they offer a highend Windows Phone handset like this for example:
Exclusive: Nokia's Windows Phone 7 concept revealed! -- Engadget

A concept yes, but doesnt't look like an Android cousin such as HD7. Rush24 of wmpoweruser(and was a guest on PPCGeeks Podcast 2.3.11) highlighted what Nokia will bring not only to Microsoft but all the other Window Phone OEMs:
Thoughts on the Nokia-Microsoft Alliance

Obviously it will take time: 2012 before we can hold a handset, but if it pushes other OEMs to step their game up, or get the heck out the way.
its not their fault they used bare minimum..M$ did not approve any other processor other then the 1st gen snapdragon yet...all thigns ha ve to be preapproved by M$...
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions