PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28marols1 View Post
Thanks for the oppertunity to discuss with the fam a subject that we aparently are all very passionate about in one way or another. I have spoken my piece, however it seems all of us are just going in cicles around one another. It is, in the end, up to the mods and admin to determine what they will and will not allow on this site; and i of course would respect that decision as a user of this site. I will no longer be following this thread as i'm going to put my time back into enjoying the use of my device. Good luck to all!
I was going to post but I agree. We're beating this topic to death.

AFAIK its not longer an issue of Warez so the discussion of IS/WMWifi is ok. So he is safe to use as he sees fit.
If Sprint tells him to stop, so be it. Its his descision.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
It's relevant because talking about ICS registry edits isn't prosecutable under criminal or civil law. That's the reason why PPCGeeks doesn't disallow such talk. It disallows talk of warez because that is directly addressed by the DMCA, which trumps the First Amendment, as schettj has been diligently trying to tell you about. Since tethering is not copyright infringment and only theft of service, talk of it is legal and protected by the First Amendment.
there is nothing that has precedence over your consitional rights.. their ironclad,concrete...

there is one place however that you do not have any rights under the law, well very minimal and it basically only the avoidance of cruel and unusually punishment, because only thing that holds back your rights, is JAIL..

I wont argue that the DMCA may in fact, be a heavy hitter in the matter of these things.. but their nto an enitity to fight civil liberties of people... youve all admitted it oks to talk about hwo and where u obtain warez, you just cant supply them with the actual download.. so in fact, the words of speech do hold concrete in our favor..
"Lose?..I Dont Lose!.....I Win.....I Win.....Im a Lawyer, Thats My Job and Thats What I Do" -Keanu Reeves "Devils Advocate"
Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
so the links, where someone gave resco bubles or what ever the f. and distrubitng shazaam is ok too?
If it falls outside the DMCA, and the whim of the site owner/admins, then yes. If not, for either reason, then no.

Bring it up with the mods if you think they missed something.

The rules seem abundantly clear. Should you feel someone else is breaking them, alert an admin.

If you yourself feel you have had some rule incorrectly applied, make your case to the admins.

If you don't like the rules, there's not much you can do.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
...The only thing we are discussing is what is or is not tolerated on this forum...There are WHATEVER the site owner decides limits as well. It's not a public site, so none of those free speech things apply. The site owner is free to censor as s/he sees fit, and to delegate that authority to "admins".

Here, let me help you see the key point, which you seem to be missing:

WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING MORAL OR LEGAL ISSUES OF WHAT PEOPLE DO.
schettj, the OP states very clearly this thread wasn't started to discuss a moral or legal issue. He has stated several times that he steals a service you are supposed to pay for.

The point of this thread was this: We're not allowed to talk about anything remotely connected to warez because it's stealing software that we are supposed to pay for. So then why are we allowed to talk about ways to steal a service that we are supposed to pay for?

It doesn't matter how we steal the service, whether it comes on your phone or not or whether it works out of the box or not. That doesn't matter. The fact of it is that Sprint wants you to pay for a Phone As Modem plan to use data on a device that isn't your phone. We are getting around paying for that plan by whatever means, which is stealing. The OP thinks we should be able to talk about stealing service we are supposed to pay for and compared it to the currently enforced rule of not being able to talk about stealing software we are supposed to pay for.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:02 PM
morsus mihi

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
there is nothing that has precedence over your consitional rights.. their ironclad,concrete...
Not on a private forum, no. This isn't a government service, or a public service. This is a private service which ALSO has a TOS which you clicked-through when you signed up.

THATS the only rights you have HERE.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
morsus mihi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
schettj, the OP states very clearly this thread wasn't started to discuss a moral or legal issue. He has stated several times that he steals a service you are supposed to pay for.
But then he keeps trying to equate TOS violations with warez. Over and over. Because that's his point.

And as I keep pointing out over and over, this is a privately run forum that everyone who is a member clicks through its own TOS, which consist of the legal requirements of complying with the DMCA and whatever the heck the site owner wishes.

And thems the rules. The End.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

National security issues trumps the First Amendment. Yelling "Fire" in a crowded movie theatre is not covered under the First Amendment. Obscenity is limited under the First Amendment in public domains. Distributing copyrighted materials is not covered under the First Amendment. DMCA is the digital age clarification of what is limited under the First Amendment, which includes disallowing dissemination of copyrighted materials.

First Amendment rights only protects PPCGeeks if they were to be accused of having 'illegal materials' on their websites. PPCGeeks themselves is able to restrict any type of speech they wish as they are a private institution. They have decided to allow talks of regedits because it is not illegal and they have no obligation to censor it.

Last edited by Darkjedi; 02-23-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Although I can't speak for the mods, I'm sure they have tried their best to comply with DMCA regulations since those matters regard copyrighted materials. They have already made it abundantly clear that warez is already disallowed.
that thread, with shazaam, open with COZ stating that... then he supllies the new files... hes kind of a big deal around these parts isnt he? i dont pay attention to status, or atleast try not.. i dont know whos a mod and who isnt..

Quote:
If it falls outside the DMCA, and the whim of the site owner/admins, then yes. If not, for either reason, then no.

Bring it up with the mods if you think they missed something.

The rules seem abundantly clear. Should you feel someone else is breaking them, alert an admin.

If you yourself feel you have had some rule incorrectly applied, make your case to the admins.

If you don't like the rules, there's not much you can do.
i obviously dont feel a rule was incorrectly impose on me which ive noe stated for the 3rd time i feel it waas justified.. is this not me alerting the mods, admin, everybody.. did i open a thread in an inproper matter or something? or is my topic just too taboo and needs to be squashed and quited by the masses? where did i say i dnt like the rules, this isnt a crusade for warez being tolerated, this is me asking, and giving my evidence how maybe we should start looking at this in a different light, before were forced to do so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post

The point of this thread was this: We're not allowed to talk about anything remotely connected to warez because it's stealing software that we are supposed to pay for. So then why are we allowed to talk about ways to steal a service that we are supposed to pay for?

It doesn't matter how we steal the service, whether it comes on your phone or not or whether it works out of the box or not. That doesn't matter. The fact of it is that Sprint wants you to pay for a Phone As Modem plan to use data on a device that isn't your phone. We are getting around paying for that plan by whatever means, which is stealing. The OP thinks we shouldnt be able to talk about stealing service we are supposed to pay for and compared it to the currently enforced rule of not being able to talk about stealing software we are supposed to pay for.
EXACTLY!!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Quote:
But then he keeps trying to equate TOS violations with warez. Over and over. Because that's his point.
You're right, through all the pages of posts he has started to drift that way. But early on, within the first few pages, it is clear that he is trying to relate the fact that both subjects involve stealing something that is supposed to be paid for. I'm trying not to speak for the chef (I hope he weighs in on this) but from what I've read (which is every post) he doesn't think we should be able to talk about tethering because we can't talk about warez.

Quote:
And as I keep pointing out over and over, this is a privately run forum that everyone who is a member clicks through its own TOS, which consist of the legal requirements of complying with the DMCA and whatever the heck the site owner wishes.

And thems the rules. The End.
I don't think anyone is arguing with that. No matter how long this thread gets, only the Admins have the say of what stays and what goes.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
National security issues trumps the First Amendment. Yelling "Fire" in a crowded movie theatre is not covered under the First Amendment. Obscenity is limited under the First Amendment in public domains. Distributing copyrighted materials is not covered under the First Amendment. DMCA is the digital age clarification of what is limited under the First Amendment, which includes disallowing dissemination of copyrighted materials.
i mean come one, seriously? like i dont knwo u cant make bomb threats.. or make a legit threat against the pres, that kinda stuff is alot higher up the food chain than anything were talking about here.. sorry i wasnt spefici enough in implying national security things werent like a big deal or somethign
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions