PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 04:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

mr3vil is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?

My Touch Pro does stuff for me what an iPhone will not. Key among those is it won't run a software program I demo to clients that is written specifically for WinMo. Having a WinMo phone allows me to just have my cell phone with this program installed. However, in the future I plan on buying a Trimble WinMo Device for demo purposes.

And for me the non-replacable battery is a deal-breaker. I go through cell phone batteries often and unless AT&T is guaranteeing the things for the life of your contract, no thanks. My phone battery craters I can run to the nearest Sprint Store or battery merchant (My city has 2 battery specialty stores) and buy one on the spot and be up and running again.

The only iPhone feature I was envious of was Visual Voicemail. Then I got an invite to Google Voice and I'm not so envious anymore. Oh, I'm also jealous that AT&T has 3G coverage in my area but Sprint hasn't quite gotten around to opening up their EVDO (but they do have 4G oddly). I can get EVDO on my aircard after a manual PRL update (and according to the connection manager its not roaming) but not on my handset.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

joe50000 is a n00b

For me it boils down to functionality. That seems to be the problem with most Apple products. I use an iMac and I love the stability, speed, and the general design of the mac OSX. I don't mind having a card reader sitting on my desk. It's pretty much the one thing that the iMac lacks that I need, and it only cost $20.

My phone however, is a different story. I need at least 1 backup battery at all times, and not having one is almost impossible for me to fathom. There are workarounds, such as portable battery add-ons, but i'd rather just have a bigger/user-replacable battery. The way I go through batteries, my iPhone wouldn't last a year before a huge decline in battery life.

I think apps are fun, but they're not a deal breaker for me. I don't like paying for them either, so the iPhone loses another point there.

One thing that really bothers me about the iPhone is how bad the call quality is, even when not used on AT&T's network. It's a goddamn phone and it can't make decent calls.

I don't hate the iPhone, it's just not the phone for me. I think a lot of the backlash agains the phone is just a natural response to all the hype, as well as how smug people who use Apple products tend to be.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace
Pocket PC: Lumia 635
Carrier: T-Mobile

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to CyberMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to CyberMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe50000 View Post
For me it boils down to functionality. That seems to be the problem with most Apple products. I use an iMac and I love the stability, speed, and the general design of the mac OSX. I don't mind having a card reader sitting on my desk. It's pretty much the one thing that the iMac lacks that I need, and it only cost $20.

My phone however, is a different story. I need at least 1 backup battery at all times, and not having one is almost impossible for me to fathom. There are workarounds, such as portable battery add-ons, but i'd rather just have a bigger/user-replacable battery. The way I go through batteries, my iPhone wouldn't last a year before a huge decline in battery life.

I think apps are fun, but they're not a deal breaker for me. I don't like paying for them either, so the iPhone loses another point there.

One thing that really bothers me about the iPhone is how bad the call quality is, even when not used on AT&T's network. It's a goddamn phone and it can't make decent calls.

I don't hate the iPhone, it's just not the phone for me. I think a lot of the backlash agains the phone is just a natural response to all the hype, as well as how smug people who use Apple products tend to be.
Where are you located at? Me and my wife both have iPhones, and our call quality is not bad, it's actually very good in my area.
As far as the battery thing, that is one thing I am not too fond of is the battery is not user replaceable, but at the same time in my opinion it makes the thing feel more like a solid device. What I mean by that is when I had the first HTC Touch, the battery actually became slightly loose, not enough to pop off but just enough there was a little bit of wiggle that drove me nuts.
As far as apps, there are plenty that are free, and as with WM devices, there are ways to get full versions for free.
And the smugness of most apple users, what the hell folks?! It's a damn computer nothing more. Apple is just a complany, nothing more. If you are like me, you can make any computer be it a PC or a MAC or a unix based OS, you can make them all your *****.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iphone
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

drift365 is keeping up the good workdrift365 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to drift365

yes you can. but mac os x IS a unix based os
Old 11-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift365 View Post
yes you can. but mac os x IS a unix based os
Yea I know, and I love that.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

its so much faster and simpler, the menus for each program are the same and you know where to find everything
Old 11-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift365 View Post
its so much faster and simpler, the menus for each program are the same and you know where to find everything
Yepper. My MacBook Pro is the first Mac that I have owned myself and I enjoy it.
I also had the RTM of Windows 7 before I switched to that Mac, and I actually enjoyed Windows 7 (actually kinda miss using it).
Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

grab parallels or use bootcamp. using parallels i can run both of them at the same time. i can have ie right next to safari
Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP

I have Parallels on both my Mac Pro and my Macbook Pro. I used it frequently when getting used to being on Mac. But, as I got more and more used to the Mac OS, I haven't used Windows at all in 9 months, and don't miss it even a little bit. I was a HUGE Windows guy. As far as I was concerned MS could do no wrong. Sure, I had to tweak things here and there, and sometimes weird stuff just happened so I had to fix it, but Windows was "great!" ..... Then I got a Mac ...... I don't have to tweak, because it works. Weird stuff doesn't happen, it works. When I want to use my computer I don't have to fix it first. If my wife wants to use my computer, I don't have to run over and make sure she doesn't screw something up, because she has no problem using the Mac, it WORKS.

As far as WinMo vs. iPhone, I've still got both. Touch Pro and iPhone. Honestly, I use the iPhone more, because I just need to make a call or want to waste time on a quick game. That stuff is no big deal on the iPhone, in fact it's pretty darn easy. Making calls on my TP is no big deal, but playing a quick game is nothing like on the iPhone. There's just no comparison. Where the TP excels, though, is in business. When I want to send email, edit a document, use Terminal Services, all of those things are where I love the TP. Two different devices with two different strengths.

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
Old 11-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

The problem with me leaving windows is that i have a business fixing pcs. otherwise the switch would be no problem. I think the only reason I prefer the iphones business features is that the only ppc i used was the htc 8525, which was slow, and bulky. but most of the things i did with that, i can still do with the iphone
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions