PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   CDMA TP2 Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   ░░░░ MightyROM.com ░░░░ Windows Phone® ░░░░ (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=79579)

flyera343 09-09-2010 08:53 PM

Re: ░░░░ MightyROM.com ░░░░ Windows Phone® ░░░░

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwalt2 (Post 1939203)
The unlocker I used is attached to this post. It's for CDMA. If you want to download it yourself, it's available at the following link: http://rhodiumw.htc-unlocks.com/hard-spl.php .

I have no idea about mike's rom as I make my own.

That's a few posts now that reference your own ROM. Is that really the way to advertise?? On some other cook's thread, trying to take advantage of it's popularity? If your ROM can stand on it's own, you shouldn't have to resort to this..

Eschelon 09-09-2010 09:37 PM

had
Quote:

Originally Posted by chunnel (Post 1939981)
Some of us like Windows because of the functionality for business and how it can be used with Outlook fairly easily. This issue prevents iPhone or Android from being anything other than cute. Sorry to see y'all are giving up on Windows, but I need it. Can anyone help me with the Bluetooth issue? Can't use Bluetooth with ActiveSync nor can I see the whole phone when paired, just the bluetooth folder on the phone. But I can sync and see the whole phone when paired via USB.

Actually Android syncs up with Outlook just fine now, and even has a few new outlook/exchange enhancements in the latest 2.2 "FROzen YOgurt" update

Last year someone asked me why I was still using WinMo instead of Android. I told them that, while Android looked nice and had a lot of excitement behind it, it still didn't offer the same level of customization and didn't offer the same features that WinMo did since Android was still too new. I then told him that I would re-evaluate in a year once Google had more time to develop it... Well a lot has happened in that year. Android now offers every feature I want from a phone (which is saying a lot).

Now I'm not an Android fanboy by any means, but it's come a long way since I myself was publicly bashing it just a short year ago. And if they keep putting out Android phones like this one or this one (sans the retina-burning red please - that had better just be the FCC demo colors), I just may switch to the dark side like everyone else :twisted:

Now for your issue about bluetooth... HTC uses the Widcomm bluetooth stack, not the Microsoft one. Which means you are sh!t out of luck when it comes to bluetooth w/ activesync. Sorry, champ. We all feel your pain on this one. There was once a bounty thread offering a several hundred dollar reward for anyone who could port over the Microsoft BT stack so that you wouldn't have to go through what you're going through right now. But last I checked, the request was still unfulfilled

chunnel 09-09-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eschelon (Post 1940025)
had
Actually Android syncs up with Outlook just fine now, and even has a few new outlook/exchange enhancements in the latest 2.2 "FROzen YOgurt" update

Last year someone asked me why I was still using WinMo instead of Android. I told them that, while Android looked nice and had a lot of excitement behind it, it still didn't offer the same level of customization and didn't offer the same features that WinMo did since Android was still too new. I then told him that I would re-evaluate in a year once Google had more time to develop it... Well a lot has happened in that year. Android now offers every feature I want from a phone (which is saying a lot).

Now I'm not an Android fanboy by any means, but it's come a long way since I myself was publicly bashing it just a short year ago. And if they keep putting out Android phones like this one or this one (sans the retina-burning red please - that had better just be the FCC demo colors), I just may switch to the dark side like everyone else :twisted:

Now for your issue about bluetooth... HTC uses the Widcomm bluetooth stack, not the Microsoft one. Which means you are sh!t out of luck when it comes to bluetooth w/ activesync. Sorry, champ. We all feel your pain on this one. There was once a bounty thread offering a several hundred dollar reward for anyone who could port over the Microsoft BT stack so that you wouldn't have to go through what you're going through right now. But last I checked, the request was still unfulfilled

My mouth is hanging open right now. Don't know what to say... I've had the Touch and the TP and they synced fine with Bluetooth. Why change what works? This makes no sense to me...

I guarantee that Android won't be able to deal with this Outlook sync issue(s). First, I need to sync multiple contact folders, with over 8,000 contacts and second, I need to bring over the notes section of the contacts as well, because that's where I store the person's resume for easy viewing (I save the doc files as well, but separately). Outlook can sync the notes section of the contact. Android and iPhone won't. And there is only one way to sync multiple folders and that is with Chapura's Pocket Mirror which I bought years ago and is not even supported anymore. I have to run it in Vista compatibility mode otherwise it won't work at all with Win 7.

Exchange Server only syncs with the main Contact Folder. Zimbra only syncs with the main Contact Folder. Google will sync, but it is so unstable as to be completely unreliable for regular work. Unless I want to completely erase the pim file and start anew once a week. So for me it's WinMo or NoGo.

imnuts 09-09-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunnel (Post 1940098)
Exchange Server only syncs with the main Contact Folder. Zimbra only syncs with the main Contact Folder. Google will sync, but it is so unstable as to be completely unreliable for regular work. Unless I want to completely erase the pim file and start anew once a week. So for me it's WinMo or NoGo.

Google's sync system built into Android is much better than the exchange/activesync service they offer for free. However, I don't know how well it would work with several thousand contacts. I'm fairly certain though that it does also sync the notes field though as well. Not saying that it would work for you, but it's getting better. I'd also guess that as Android matures, it will be able to cater to enterprise users much better. I'd agree with you though that Windows Phone is going to still maintain a better foothold in the corporate segment due to compatibility. There are several users here though that use their phones for more personal use, but don't want to have a dumbed down cell phone, and I'm guessing that we are the users jumping ship as WinMo is a dying platform, and iOS is to closed off.

Eschelon 09-09-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunnel (Post 1940098)
My mouth is hanging open right now. Don't know what to say... I've had the Touch and the TP and they synced fine with Bluetooth. Why change what works? This makes no sense to me...

I guarantee that Android won't be able to deal with this Outlook sync issue(s). First, I need to sync multiple contact folders, with over 8,000 contacts and second, I need to bring over the notes section of the contacts as well, because that's where I store the person's resume for easy viewing (I save the doc files as well, but separately). Outlook can sync the notes section of the contact. Android and iPhone won't. And there is only one way to sync multiple folders and that is with Chapura's Pocket Mirror which I bought years ago and is not even supported anymore. I have to run it in Vista compatibility mode otherwise it won't work at all with Win 7.

Sorry man. A co-worker of mine had very specific Outlook demands that were similar to yours when he bought his Droid Incredible and we were able to get it all worked out without much issue. But again, I'm not a fanboy so I'm not going to try to talk you into it. My only point was that Android has come a long way in terms of Outlook and exchange support - especially the latest 2.2 update.

Since I wrote that last post I dug up the BT bounty thread for you. You could try to revive it, but I don't think you're going to see anything come of it at this point

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=89468

gpshemi 09-10-2010 02:00 PM

I think MR fed us a line to see how long we'd hang out hope. LOL.

Eschelon 09-10-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpshemi (Post 1940670)

No, he's definitely brewing something up...

...But it's not what you might expect

Keep in mind that Mike is now using an Android device on an HSPA (not CDMA) network. The CDMA TP2 is, sadly, a dying breed. It should last a while for those who still use it. But you will never again see the level of tweaking and support that we once saw with it

:(

rushco 09-10-2010 05:16 PM

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; Opera Mini/5.1.21594/20.2463; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eschelon
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpshemi (Post 1940670)

Keep in mind that Mike is now using an Android device on an HSPA (not CDMA) network. The CDMA TP2 is, sadly, a dying breed. It should last a while for those who still use it. But you will never again see the level of tweaking and support that we once saw with it

Something us yet to be married people will be telling our kids.

Back in my day cell phones had to be tweaked and hacked to work. You have it easy.

Eschelon 09-10-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushco (Post 1940917)
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; Opera Mini/5.1.21594/20.2463; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Something us yet to be married people will be telling our kids.

Back in my day cell phones had to be tweaked and hacked to work. You have it easy.

Trust me, I remember the "old days"

I've got a Zach Morris brick sitting in the basement right now still attached to the briefcase that powered it :-P

twolostminds 09-10-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eschelon (Post 1940870)

I've been contemplating jumping from WinMo to Android for a few months. I really like the Samsung Epic but two things have been holding me back.
1. Hesitant about jumping from Big Red to Sprint after 10 years.
2. No MightyMike ROM's

Guess this takes care of one of my concerns.