PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development

Notices

View Poll Results: Hmm, has this poll been removed?
Yes 15,948 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 15948. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 03:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC One M9
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

Sharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ★SharkieROM★6/4/11-Updated★Version 5.1★Generic\Sprint★29020\21916★Sense2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancomycin View Post
Hi Sharkie (or other ROM users) - your ROM OS looks interesting and I am willing to try it out. This will be my first attempt at flashing and using any type of ROM so I just had a few quick questions to keep in mind. Thank you, and please get back to this when convenient.

1. I am running a stock sprint 6.5 Touch Pro2 - I went to settings > about > OS Version : WM 6.5 Professional, CE OS 5.2.21889(21889.5.87). This is version 6.5 and NOT 6.5.x right?
Yes, 21889 is a 6.5 WM build, NOT a 6.5.X. If you take another look at the TP2 screenshots at the top of 1st post, you can see some of the cosmetic differencet between the two. The one on the right is 6.5 (Start menu button on top like you're used to), the one on the left is 6.5.X (Start menu on bottom). There are many more differences than that, but you'll just have to try it out to see for yourself.
Quote:
1a. Apart from personal information, do I need to collect any more information (i.e. radio/serial #) etc?
I'm not sure what you mean by collect personal information. You don't need to collect any personal information to flash a custom ROM. Just be aware that obviously this will erase all set ups that you've done. Log ins and preferences and such will all have to be set up again. There is a way to auto set this up via XDA UC, but that may be a bit more than you want to get into right now. If you do, check the link in the 1st post to XDA UC and read about how to set things like this up.

Quote:
From what I initially understand, I will be running Task29 1st and then proceed to using your 5.1 build Sprint 6.5 correct? I will be putting those on my SD card or whatever the instructions specifically state.
I don't believe it's necessary to run task29 if you're coming from a stock ROM although it definitely can't hurt and is a safe decision to do so even if it's not necessary. Use the attach Task29 package. Put the phone in bootloader mode, then run the ROMUpdateUtility. Follow all the prompts. When the progress bar reaches 100% (It takes only a few seconds) hold down the "volume down" button until the phone reboots itself. If you were holding the volume down button while it rebooted it will reboot into bootloader mode. (NOTE: The phone will be empty at this point. Task29 wipes most everything from the phone. So, if you don't remember to hold down the volume down button after task29 is done and it reboots, it will sit on the Touch Pro 2 splash screen indefinitely since there is no ROM on the phone to launch.)

Once you've task29'ed and have the phone back in bootloader mode, load up my ROM and you're good to go.
Quote:
2. I do use Sprint Navigation service. I understand that the cabs are there to install after installing your 5.1 rom right?
The "Sprint" versions of the ROMs already have the Sprint Navigation service included in the ROM so you won't have to install one.

Quote:
3. I couldn't find a bug list/or functions that are not working anymore compared to the Stock ROM - can you provide a link to that?
That is because to my knowledge everything works as it should. There are not any functional bugs that I'm aware of. It's been so long since I've run a stock ROM, I honestly couldn't tell you the exact differences between it and my ROM as in what I've added and what I've removed, sorry. I can tell you this, mine is better

Quote:
Does GSM work if I go internationally and put a intl' SIM card?
To be perfectly honest I've never used a sim card in my life, so I don't know is the answer to your question. Someone just mentioned something about this a couple of weeks ago and I believe he said that it did work. I will try and find that post at some point. There may be some SIM card contact sycning issues that some might have mentioned, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone who's used my ROM with a SIM card can answer this question, please?

Quote:
4. Will I still be able to update PRLs within my designated areas? Will profile updates work and are they necessary?
Yes, update profile and PRL work, but you must install the sprint carrier provisioning cab from start menu\system tools\carrier provisioning before the update profile and PRL options will appear in start menu\settings\system.

Quote:
4a. I am using the Sprint airvana at home - this should still work hopefully.
I don't know what Sprint airvana is...

Quote:
5. I'm a medical student and I have some paid applications (skyscape/epocrates) that were made for WM6.5 - for the most part, I hope they work
To my knowledge most, if not all 6.5 apps work on 6.5.X
Quote:
6. In case of #5 not happening, can I revert back somehow to my original stock WM6.5?
Yes, just flash back to a stock Sprint ROM or try my 6.5 ROM

Quote:
7. I won't be needing any of the new icons/aesthetics for the phone - so besides that, do I need to add anything else to your 5.1 ROM and Task29 link?
Nope, only what apps you use and like that aren't already included. I'm assuming you've looked at post #2 good. There are some stock cabs posted that you may like if you like less colorful aesthetics.

Thanks for trying me out! Let me know what you think
Attached Files
File Type: zip Task29.zip (5.69 MB, 4 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Sharkie405; 06-13-2011 at 11:11 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:19 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Sharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation levelSharkie405 can't get a higher reputation level

I don't believe it's necessary to run task29 if you're coming from a stock ROM although it definitely can't hurt and is a safe decision to do so even if it's not necessary.

Use the attached Task29 package.

1) Put the phone in bootloader mode, then run the ROMUpdateUtility.

2) Follow all the prompts. When the progress bar reaches 100% (It literally takes only a few seconds) hold down the "volume down" button until the phone reboots itself. If you were holding the volume down button while it rebooted, it will reboot into bootloader mode.

(NOTE: The phone will be empty at this point. Task29 wipes most everything from the phone. So, if you don't remember to hold down the volume down button after task29 is done and it reboots, it will sit on the Touch Pro 2 splash screen indefinitely since there is no ROM on the phone to launch.)

Once you've task29'ed and have the phone back in bootloader mode, load up my ROM and you're good to go.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Task29.zip (5.69 MB, 838 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Sharkie405; 01-21-2012 at 12:31 AM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint

kozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Hi Sharkie (or other ROM users) - your ROM OS looks interesting and I am willing to try it out. This will be my first attempt at flashing and using any type of ROM so I just had a few quick questions to keep in mind. Thank you, and please get back to this when convenient.

1. I am running a stock sprint 6.5 Touch Pro2 - I went to settings > about > OS Version : WM 6.5 Professional, CE OS 5.2.21889(21889.5.87). This is version 6.5 and NOT 6.5.x right? Correct

1a. Apart from personal information, do I need to collect any more information (i.e. radio/serial #) etc? No

From what I initially understand, I will be running Task29 1st and then proceed to using your 5.1 build Sprint 6.5 correct? I will be putting those on my SD card or whatever the instructions specifically state.

2. I do use Sprint Navigation service. I understand that the cabs are there to install after installing your 5.1 rom right? If you flash the Sprint 5.1 it is included

3. I couldn't find a bug list/or functions that are not working anymore compared to the Stock ROM - can you provide a link to that? Everything should work
Does GSM work if I go internationally and put a intl' SIM card? Should be fine

4. Will I still be able to update PRLs within my designated areas? Will profile updates work and are they necessary? Once you provision, update PRL and Profile will show up in settings/other

4a. I am using the Sprint airvana at home - this should still work hopefully. should be fine

5. I'm a medical student and I have some paid applications (skyscape/epocrates) that were made for WM6.5 - for the most part, I hope they work

6. In case of #5 not happening, can I revert back somehow to my original stock WM6.5? You can always flash back to stock Sprint ROM

7. I won't be needing any of the new icons/aesthetics for the phone - so besides that, do I need to add anything else to your 5.1 ROM and Task29 link? If you haven't already done it, you have to unlock your phone HERE first. Coming from a stock ROM you shouldn't need to task 29, but it doesn't hurt. When task 29 is approaching 100% hold down the volume down ... when it restarts it will be in bootloader and ready to flash new ROM, otherwise you will have to remove battery and hold vol down and then push power button to get to bootloader.

Thank you again for letting me know. My main concern was not being able to follow updates so frequently - will be switching to an adroid based phone this summer because of the lack of medical software support to WM. Eventually I just plan to use my TP2 as a pda/wifi device.
Answers in bold above... one other thing, make sure to do a sync of contacts/appointment before anything else!

Edit: to slow again, Sharkie beat me to it

Last edited by kozmo; 06-12-2011 at 04:23 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2 - SharkieROM 6.5.X v5.1

vancomycin is becoming a great contributor

Thank you so much for replying to my posts in detail @sharkie and @kozmo

So for clarification :

1. Coming from Stock ROM : I must first run HSPL-Unlocker via my Windows XP ActiveSync right - (pc-usb to TP2)

2. Step 2 : Task29 (am I unzipping and running this from my PC or SD card)?
3. Step 3 : SharkieROM (same question) where should this file be - on my SD card or PC)

Lastly, how long does the process take?

I will give my comments after I install this - thanks again for taking the time out for these clarifications
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:10 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Thank you so much for replying to my posts in detail @sharkie and @kozmo

So for clarification :

1. Coming from Stock ROM : I must first run HSPL-Unlocker via my Windows XP ActiveSync right - (pc-usb to TP2) yes

2. Step 2 : Task29 (am I unzipping and running this from my PC or SD card)? Run from PC
3. Step 3 : SharkieROM (same question) where should this file be - on my SD card or PC) You can flash ROMs from the SD Card, but I would start off on my PC then once your comfortable with the flashing process, flashing from SD is easy as pie.

Lastly, how long does the process take?

I will give my comments after I install this - thanks again for taking the time out for these clarifications
I like kozmo's style. Answers are in bold.

I would say from the time you start Task29 until the time my ROM is up and running on your phone is about umm... about 10 min. more or less. 1 min for Task29, about 3-4 min for the SharkieROM RUU to run and then about 6 or 7 min. (maybe as low as 5, I've never timed it) for the ROM to boot up on your phone.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

endless82 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Couple questions, is there a way to rearrange the tabs. Eg.. move email tab, and sms tab closer to the home tab.

I noticed the ringtones and txt alerts aren't included anymore. Is there a place to grab these at?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 PM
VIP Member

kozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIPkozmo is a VIP

One thing I do is to disconnect cable after flashing ROM when it says "finished" and not let the phone boot up connected to PC. I've heard it can cause problems? Not sure why it would, but why take a chance? Anyone else ever heard of this?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:32 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endless82 View Post
Couple questions, is there a way to rearrange the tabs. Eg.. move email tab, and sms tab closer to the home tab.

I noticed the ringtones and txt alerts aren't included anymore. Is there a place to grab these at?

Thanks
Go to settings/personalize to move tabs. Sharkie uploaded ringtones a few pages back, or mabe more than a few pages, but they are there. They are HERE

Last edited by kozmo; 06-12-2011 at 06:39 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

endless82 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmo View Post
Go to settings/personalize to move tabs. Sharkie uploaded ringtones a few pages back, or mabe more than a few pages, but they are there.
I tried out personalizer to no avail. Can you be a bit more specific in where the app to do so is located please? Thanks

Nevermind found it, thanks.

Last edited by endless82; 06-12-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmo View Post
One thing I do is to disconnect cable after flashing ROM when it says "finished" and not let the phone boot up connected to PC. I've heard it can cause problems? Not sure why it would, but why take a chance? Anyone else ever heard of this?
I've never heard that before. I more often than not, leave my phone plugged up while it flashes and boots up. I've never noticed any issues...

Last edited by Sharkie405; 06-12-2011 at 06:55 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development