PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380
Carrier: Sprint

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32
Re: [JUL 12] *11 Radios Available* Updated Touch Pro CDMA Radio Archive Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_jaycee View Post
Does anyone know if these correspond to specific registry settings? I'm interested in incorporating this into UC.

Thanks in advance. Great info!!
Unfortunately, the only way to change these are through EPST or QPST, as they are not Windows settings; they are stored in NVRAM. You also need the MSL of the phone.

I successfully enabled 4GV/EVRC-WB, but I haven't had sufficient chance to test it. The only calls I made were muffled, probably because I was calling someone through a VOIP trunk to a cellular network. That causes transcoding twice after being encoded in 4GV WB.

Plus, 4GV-WB can be stepped down to 8 kHz on the carrier side, further degrading quality.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Terencec is keeping up the good workTerencec is keeping up the good work

Where can I get the Telus rilphone.dll so I can make sure my current one is right.
I am getting crazy battery drainage on my new rom.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny32 View Post
Unfortunately, the only way to change these are through EPST or QPST, as they are not Windows settings; they are stored in NVRAM. You also need the MSL of the phone.

I successfully enabled 4GV/EVRC-WB, but I haven't had sufficient chance to test it. The only calls I made were muffled, probably because I was calling someone through a VOIP trunk to a cellular network. That causes transcoding twice after being encoded in 4GV WB.

Plus, 4GV-WB can be stepped down to 8 kHz on the carrier side, further degrading quality.
Mutiny32,
Thanks for the great info man. Let us know how the testing goes with the 4GV/EVRC-WB.

thanks
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny32 View Post
I've been particular to the US Cellular radio after the first time flashing I would get a GPS lock in my basement, with no direct line of sight to any window, in about three seconds. It also runs cooler than the early Sprint radios and rivals the Telus radios in signal quality. I also noticed that with the Sprint radios (barring the 1.11.00F because I don't recall), you are only able to obtain a maximum of 8 satellites maximum, while with others you can obtain the max of 10 on the device.

Now I'm going to try the 1.12.31F from Cellular South and see what I can do. Note I just got a new (refurb, but still manufactured in Feb) Sprint TP yesterday so I'm tinkering.

And if anyone wants to know what SMV is, it stands for Selectable Mode Vocoder, and it is a newer voice codec than EVRC, which is what carriers use currently. It isn't as new as the 4GV standard EVRC-B or EVRC-WB, but it has noticeably better call quality than EVRC while being more bandwidth efficient. EVRC-B is even more bandwidth efficient with higher call quality than EVRC, but in most opinions isn't as good as SMV. EVRC-WB (WB stands for WideBand) is the sister codec to EVRC-B and is a 4GV standard, but I haven't tested it much and the only way to enable it is through QPST. I haven't had much luck with the TP and EVRC-WB and Qualcomm won't say exactly what MSM chipsets support it. Let's just say I need to test EVRC-WB more to say it is useable. If it is, then it would be the preferrable vocoder to use.

To enable SMV, you need to punch in ##PST#, select edit, put in your MSL, and select CDMA settings under the "View info" menu. Set EVRC Enabled to "Disable," set Home Page to "SMV," and set Home Orig to "SMV." Roam Orig is optional and you can use EVRC or SMV, but to avoid any problems when roaming, I'd advise keeping it set to Voice 13K.
what ware the advantages of using this? after finally reading it i might try this out but im just wondering what the advantages are?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

karate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Anybody from Saint Louis have a current opinion on radios? If anyone replies, where exactly ya from? North County Here.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Random Phones>>Treo 800w>>Touch Pro>>Touch Pro 2
Old 07-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by karate134 View Post
Anybody from Saint Louis have a current opinion on radios? If anyone replies, where exactly ya from? North County Here.
there is a thread somewhere around here talking about where your from and what radio you think is best for your area. have fun looking for it
Old 07-16-2009, 05:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTCTP

MACE is keeping up the good workMACE is keeping up the good work

I'm sorry to have been MIA a few days, had a rough beginning to the week, but I am still planning on writing that guide when I get the chance. In the meantime, that quote that Strra has graciously linked to in post 4 has most of the info in it you will need to get started.

Something to add that might reduce a few headaches:

Many devices do not poll the tower very often for the HDR connection if it is not active, this is typically not *as* much of an issue with 1x-RTT since it will poll constantly, based on your slot cycle setting, this is what checks if you have an incoming call.
However, many devices, the Touch Pro being one of them, poll HDR rather infrequently if you do not have an open Data session.
What this means is, even if you set your update interval in FieldTrial to 1 second, the *FieldTrial* program will refresh every second, but it will not be getting new data from the device more than every 5-10 seconds or so (varies with device, and power saving settings)
If you want more accurate readings, especially if you are moving, you need to open your data connection. (connect in comm manager, or run an app that auto connects)
This is good enough for most cursory testing. If you want truly accurate updates, you will need to start an actual live data stream, and keep it open while you test. I typically just ping a local server, or the ppp host for this purpose, which also gives you the benefit of seeing how stable your latency is as well.

Last edited by MACE; 07-16-2009 at 08:43 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTCTP

MACE is keeping up the good workMACE is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by havox22 View Post
ok i did the ##33284# so which is more important 1x or hdr & what is hdr?
It depends on what is most important to you, 1x is short for 1x-RTT (CDMA2000) which is what voice, and 1x-RTT data (duh) use. EVDO rel 0 also uses this for its uplink *only*.
HDR is the EVDO radio, and stands for Highspeed Data (Radio?) I believe.

That said, in my experience, with cdma, since voice takes so little bandwidth, and is rather tolerant of slight bits of lag here and there, it doesn't take much signal at all to have a good quality voice conversation.
On the other hand, Data throughput, and latency can vary *widely* depending on the quality of your signal.
Typically, if you can get a halfway decent HDR signal, your 1x will be more than adequate. Also, 1x is the older standard, and therefore has much more support in infrastructure, so again, if you have good HDR, you most likely have good 1x as well.
So, in general, HDR will be what you want to make sure has the best signal quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd View Post
to correct myself - GPS is working after removing the SUPL AGPS registry key. The 1.12 radios seem to have broken gpsmode=4, but (a)GPS in general works.
I hardly ever use GPS, but did a few quick tests after seeing what ppl were saying, and got sporadic (at best) results.
I found this key, but there are a few values in there, and I know little about GPS, so didn't want to just delete the entire key, not knowing what they were for. Would you mind elaborating? TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by karate134 View Post
Can you flash the radios using the SD card? I tried doing it the way that you flash a rom using the SD card and it doesn't seem to work.
Yes, you can, and it works well, I actually never use activesync *ever* if I can avoid it. (It annoys me...)
Check to make sure that your SD card is formatted FAT32, and the rom is named Raphimg.nbh Also, I have seen a couple ppl say that if they formatted with Windoze7 that it didn't work for them, so if that is what you are running, try using no2chems storage manager program, or some other means to format the SD card.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

karate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE View Post
Yes, you can, and it works well, I actually never use activesync *ever* if I can avoid it. (It annoys me...)
Check to make sure that your SD card is formatted FAT32, and the rom is named Raphimg.nbh Also, I have seen a couple ppl say that if they formatted with Windoze7 that it didn't work for them, so if that is what you are running, try using no2chems storage manager program, or some other means to format the SD card.
It is actually formatted in FAT32 and I don't have Win7, but I can never get it to work. I put the raphimg into the root of the storage card and it says it doesn't see any files in the bootloader
Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: uscellular

swampthing is a n00b

virtually no difference for me between the uscellular radio that shipped with my phone and the telus. Going to try the verizon one next but will probably just end up back on the us cellular. Wish there was a way to improve reception as i'm in NE iowa and most of hte area is rural.

That said, is there a problem with the uscellular radio link or is it just something with being a new member? I can download every other radio in this list except the uscellular one. I get an error message about editing someones post or my account not being active.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development